11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 9:18 AM by JUGFA

how do i get my blacks blacker

JUGFA

I'm a beginner: How do i get my black background blacker so my projected image (my graphic is raindrops raining) appears suspended in space

• 1. Re: how do i get my blacks blacker
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are many ways. The Levels effect and Curves effect are good ways to make adjustments like these.

After Effects Help | Color Correction effects

Start here to learn After Effects:

http://adobe.ly/AE_basics

• 2. Re: how do i get my blacks blacker
            bogiesan Level 4

There is a limit, though. Zero is as low as you can go as a color. You'll want to have your histograms and waveforms open (advanced functions, see the manual/online help files).

However, your projector may not be able to show black. A projector allows light from a very source to pass through an LCG panel. The LCD must be able to completely become opaque and that is not a function in many economical projectors. Couple of issues. An LCD that is opaque can overheat. If all layers of the black pixels are on, they can lag a bit as they turn off to allow other colors to be created. Might be easier to make your raindrops brighter white but there are limits to that, too.

• 3. Re: how do i get my blacks blacker
              JUGFA Level 1

Thanks You !   I'll try it out !

• 4. Re: how do i get my blacks blacker
                JUGFA Level 1

Thanks You !   I'll try it out !

• 5. Re: how do i get my blacks blacker
                  JUGFA Level 1

Any other tips to me FROM ANY BODY ELSE to a AE novice?....

How do i get my projected blacks to be black (or be a blackout) on the wall ? (they are good on computer, but I can see the background rectangle I composed upon on the wall)

• 6. Re: how do i get my blacks blacker
                    DESIGNbySAFIY Level 2

Besides what the guys suggested, you could try viewing your project on a higher quality screen to see if its just the quality of your screen thats making the blacks appear "washed out" i guess.

• 7. Re: how do i get my blacks blacker
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Bogiesan said, your projector is pushing out light for the whole frame. It's a projector issue, not an AE issue. More expensive projectors have better blacks. However, if you lower the brightness of your projector, it should help. (We can only hope that the brightness of the parts you need is still good enough.)

• 8. Re: how do i get my blacks blacker
                        JUGFA Level 1

OK, Thanks for that consideration. Unfortunately, purpose is to show on

regular interior walls as  free floating images without any frames or

borders....but maybe the wall could be prepared a certain way ?!

•                                          artist,** jeanne umbdenstock*

*see what I'm working on

presently on my blog: *

jeanneumbdenstock.blogspot.com <http://jeanneumbdenstock.blogspot.com>*

504-782-7649*

*please list me in your contacts, so my

emails to you won't go to junk mail ! *

Here's a snippet of my blog...

A detail pic of my painting, "CHAPTERS OF

CITY PARK"

• 9. Re: how do i get my blacks blacker
                          JUGFA Level 1

I have an EPSON 1222...not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either.

I will definitely work with the brightness or bulb intensity to see if this

works !

•                                          artist,** jeanne umbdenstock*

*see what I'm working on

presently on my blog: *

jeanneumbdenstock.blogspot.com <http://jeanneumbdenstock.blogspot.com>*

504-782-7649*

*please list me in your contacts, so my

emails to you won't go to junk mail ! *

Here's a snippet of my blog...

A detail pic of my painting, "CHAPTERS OF

CITY PARK"

• 10. Re: how do i get my blacks blacker
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'll bet you could rent a good projector, and the solution gets easier.

I also followed the link the blog, and saw an animation of raindrops.  Do you intend to have just one in-focus layer of raindrops, or will you be adding additional layers at different speeds, scales, and degrees of blur to simulate some depth?

• 11. Re: how do i get my blacks blacker
                              JUGFA Level 1

Thanks for the renting idea.....

Yes, I am going to keep adding to my composition's music (10 min. 40

seconds). It will involve having many more raindrops and possibly layers of

raindrops, at a higher speed, and then have a tree morph into different

shapes, as well as pop up images, one after another..... I have an

ambitious plan, following a storyboard (still pics) with time frames that I

created already. But, I am definitely learning as I go ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!