8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 8:15 AM by Jay Chevako

How can I use PM6.5 files?

JusDandy

My hardrive recently died. I had PM6.5 in it. The files were saved by Carbonite. PM had worked with windows 7 in the old computer. The repair person said that PM6.5 wouldn't load with Windows 7. Is there a PM;6.5 that will load with windows 7? And/or how can I utilize the PM files without the software in the computer??

• 1. Re: How can I use PM6.5 files?
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

PM is long, long dead. 6.5 even deader.

To work with these antiques is not a problem so long as we deal consistently with antiques.

Get a Windows XP computer, install PM.

• 2. Re: How can I use PM6.5 files?
            Jay Chevako Level 3

There are people who claim pm will work on win7/8. While they have been able to install the program, I have never heard of anyone getting successful, reliable pdf output.  You can upgrade to Indesign, but it is quite expensive, and you will need the CS6 version to open up pm files, and the results will vary. Unless you do a lot of page layout I wouldn't recommend this. Test's suggestion of getting a win xp computer is the best suggestion.
            Jay

• 3. Re: How can I use PM6.5 files?
              JusDandy Level 1

After looking at comments on the Internet it would seem you are correct... PM6.5is dead. HOWEVER, I have numerous diagrams done on that software and would like to have acess to them even if it is with some other software that would be compatable to the files. My computer HAS been rebuilt with Windows 7. I would appreciate any answers for this situation as it is. Thank you, claudia

• 4. Re: How can I use PM6.5 files?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What would you like to hear? There is no miracle to be found here.

Even opening them in InDesign would be a crapshoot.

• 5. Re: How can I use PM6.5 files?
                  JusDandy Level 1

Hi Bob!I know very little about computers and trust the repair techs that work on it when I have a problem. I would have thought there would be a way to utilize files from software that is no longer in use. And, that I could find the name of that software. So, I guess my bottom line is that my files are lost for ever. Thank you for responding to my post. Claudia

To: claudia Frank <jusdandy2001@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:49 AM

Subject:  How can I use PM6.5 files?

How can I use PM6.5 files?

created by Bob Levine in Adobe PageMaker - View the full discussionWhat would you like to hear? There is no miracle to be found here.    Even opening them in InDesign would be a crapshoot. Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6803858#6803858 Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:  To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe PageMaker by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 6. Re: How can I use PM6.5 files?
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No…they are not. But I would strongly advise you to find an old machine, install PM and create PDFs of the files you need.

You can also try InDesign but the conversion is going to be a real crapshoot.

• 7. Re: How can I use PM6.5 files?
                      Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

An old XP laptop should be very cheap; you will probably find a friend with one in a cupboard willing to lend or even give it to you. Your files are not lost, but your hope of using them on a modern computer is slim.

• 8. Re: How can I use PM6.5 files?
                        Jay Chevako Level 3

InDesign cs6  is still available for $699, or you can sign up for the most recent version of InDesign CC, which rents for $19.99 a month, this should give you access to CS 6 (I'm not positive about this), but this will involve downloading and installing at least two applications, and learning how to use InDesign, and your diagrams could get very scrambled. This option is expensive, complicated and may give you less than optional results, but it should work on your windows 7 computer. 

This is why everyone is advising you to find an old windows xp computer, it will be cheaper and easier for you.

InDesign Help | Help and tutorials  Indesign CS6

Desktop publishing | Download free Adobe InDesign CC trial  Indesign CC

Jay