9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 6:27 PM by Ellis home

Search for rubi

NIRC Level 1

How can I search for rubi to make a global change of the size?

• 1. Re: Search for rubi
          Ellis home Level 4

Can you give more details. What version of Indesign are you using? How did you create rubi?

• 2. Re: Search for rubi
            NIRC Level 1

I use the Japanese version of CS6 to create true rubi, but they also display properly in the English-language version.

• 3. Re: Search for rubi
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You can install your Japanese version above any other language version (except ME versions) as it will add plugins and will add menu items in the other language too.

• 4. Re: Search for rubi
                NIRC Level 1

I really don't need to do that. The Japanese version is rather iffy for typesetting in Roman letters. But if I could search for rubi in EITHER of them, I'd be happy. There is no way to do it in Japanese either, as least as far as I have been able to figure out.

• 5. Re: Search for rubi
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try asking over in the scripting forum. All of the ruby properties are available in any of the text objects—text, paragraph, word, etc.—so it should be easy to script. Something like this AppleScript:

----------------------------

--the search and replace font sizes

set myRubySize to 12

set myRubySizeChange to 10

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

--all of the document text

set w to object reference of every word of every story of active document

repeat with x in w

set f to ruby flag of x

if f then

try

if ruby font size of x is equal to myRubySize then

set ruby font size to myRubySizeChange

end if

end try

end if

end repeat

end tell

• 6. Re: Search for rubi
                    NIRC Level 1

Thanks for all the trouble, but I have never tried scripting and in any case do not want to change ALL the rubi but only certain ones. I am surprised that there is not a search and replace, or at least a search function for rubi in Japanese or English inDesign.

• 7. Re: Search for rubi
                      Ellis home Level 4

I'm guessing they don't have their own paragraph style you can search for?

• 8. Re: Search for rubi
                        NIRC Level 1

Rubi are a character attribute, like a footnote number except that they are set over a group of Chinese characters to indicate their pronunciation.

• 9. Re: Search for rubi
                          Ellis home Level 4

I'm aware of what rubi are. But I haven't had a chance to work with them on a document. I tested them with Japanese copy/pasting from Word and I can actually select them and assign a paragraph style. That's why I asked.