20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 2:15 PM by BobLevine

File Recovery - Is there any such thing?

shawninvancouver Level 2

Hello all,

I made a huge mistake yesterday morning which resulted in me losing a 1/2 day of work. Extremely disheartening.

It involved me accidentally overwriting my working document with a much older version (don't ask because I cannot explain how exactly it happened). Anyhow, it got me thinking, is there a top secret hidden setting in InDesign (or any of the Suite products) that allows automatically saving a backup copy of a working file to another folder (a backup folder)? Or maybe this can be scripted?

Sometimes, I dearly miss the Corel Suite because even today, Adobe's suite can't seem to do some things that were naturally part of Corel.

In Preferences > File Handling, there is this Document Recovery Data folder set. I looked in this folder (InDesign\Version 10.0\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery) but folder nothing meaning, some files from today, nothing from yesterday, and a bunch of small files from weeks ago.

Since this suite is so cloud centric, I am also disappointed that there doesn't seem to be an automated syncing feature - save to disk and cloud simultaneously.

It was my mistake and I'm not expecting a miracle but I just thought I would ask... maybe there is a way to avoid this in the future (besides not being stupid).

Thank you,

Shawn