17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 5:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Render mp4 to DVD

DonatHome

Hi,

I have an mp4 video from Camtasia which includes two videos, 17 slides, music and narration, 19 minutes long. I brought it in to premiere elements 12 and want to put it on a DVD. For now, I want it to play on computers. I tried to get a template and make a menu and nothing worked. So, I will be satisfied if I can just put it on a DVD for now so I can send to friends.

Any help will ne appreciated.

Don

• 1. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated 12 to the 12.1 Update. If not, please do so.

What problems are you having to accomplishing your stated goal.

1. You (manually) or the program (automatically) need to establish the project preset to match the properties of the source media. In this case, I would target

the video properties for the match and then fit everything else into those project settings. What are the pixel dimensions of these slides and what is the format?

2. You cannot export your Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive and have a menu with it. (Exception is Publish+Share/webDVD which is in reality

a flash file with menus allowed.

3. Setting up the project appropriately is important to obtaining your end product successfully.

4. But, you do have to coordinate your project start with how you want to export your Timeline.

Are you heading for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc?

Please post information on your video properties and the pixel dimensions of your slides, and we will get specific as to import and export settings.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
            DonatHome Level 1

ATR Whoa! I cannot imagine how I completed my mp4 video not knowingany of this. Below is the info to the best of my knowledge. As far as theproject settings, I have no understanding about this. I did watch a tutorial acouple of times and read the tutorials but was confused, and went ahead anyway.  I hope I don't have to start from scratch,because this took so long I forgot most of what I did, as this was first realattempt. I hope you can help. Thanks, Don WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM PREMEIR ELEMENTS 12 UPDATED TO 12.1 POWERPOINT 2013 SLIDES 998 X 710 PIXELS VIDEO  FRAME WIDTH            1920               FRAMEHEIGHT          1080               DATA RATE                9989kbps               TOTALBITRATE         10146kbps               FRAMERATE               29 FRAMES/SECOND AUDIO BITRATE                       157kbps              CHANNELS                  2 (STERIO)              SAMPLERATE            48 kHz 1.  ?2.  ?    At his point I don't need a menu. I justwant to get this video to a DVD that can be viewed on a computer.3.  ?4.  ? 

• 3. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

DonatHome

Thanks for the information.

Just want to be clear on one point....do you already have the whole.mp4 movie (with the works, PowerPoint slides et al) and all you want to know is how to set up

Premiere Elements project from which you can produce a file type and burn to type export?

Or

Do you have the separate components and want to know how to put them altogether into a Premiere Elements project with export to file and/or burn to disc?

ATR

• 4. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                DonatHome Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have the whole mp4 that was created in Camtasia 8.4. I am pretty sure I put the music and slides together in PowerPoint 2013. The videos were .mov file that I saved to .wmv files and started my mp4 with those two .wmv Intro videos totaling about 6 minutes. Then added the slides (17) from PowerPoint 2013. Then I used Record in Camtasia to do my narration.

The wmv intro videos were on Track 1, the slides  and music on Track 2 and my Narration on Track 3 

Camtasia cannot render to DVD so I decided to try and render it through Premiere Elements 12. (Now 12.1 thanks to your advice.) I guess that I messed up in elements because I most likely messed up in the presets before I did the video in Camtasia.

I am not literate in any of the programs, just kept going to tutorials and trying to follow the process.  My first attempt the .wmv videos came out good and synced. the slides and music came out nice, but my narration was missing?????

Like I said I am amazed that the mp4 came out seeing that I missed so many steps. For now I would like to render the mp4 to a DVD disk that can be played on computers.

Then later, I would like to render, if possible, to a DVD with menu and a label on the dick with my logo.

Thanks for your help.

Don

• 5. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Thanks for the follow up.

Let us do a first try at DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc for your .mp4 video which I am assuming is 1080p30 (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second).

We could give the project a try at letting it set the project preset automatically to match your video properties, but let us do this first try with you manually setting that project

preset.

Open your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 to its Expert workspace.

Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In the Change Settings dialog, select the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

After you OK the Change Settings, you will be facing the New Project dialog with your newly set project preset.

Make sure you have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on This Project before OK'ing out of

the New Project dialog.

Back in the Premiere Elements Expert Workspace, use Add Media to import your .mp4 to Project Assets from

where you will drag the video to the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track 1.

If we are going to do this first try without menus (just indicate No to any request to do menus), please head for Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and set the

preset for NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. Always good practice to make a note of what the Quality Area of

the burn dialog shows for Space Required and Bitrate. Have a check mark there next to Fit Content to Available

Space. Hit the burn button. If the Bitrate is less than 8.00 Mbps, you probably are putting too much on the disc. More

on that later.

Do you have computer players that will playback DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc when you insert that disc into

the burner tray? The end product will be 740 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. That 16:9 flag

will stretch the video to 856 x 480 for display after encoding.

If you want to export a higher resolution file to play back on your computer, then please look at the export

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Please let us know of your progress when you get the time. If you need clarification, please let us know. If you need

for me to go in another direction with the suggestions, please let me know of that also.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                    DonatHome Level 1

Hi ATR,

I am stuck. I did everything in setting the presets.

I was able to burn the DVD. When I played it on another new computer laptop. The first video intro played perfectly. The second video intro had some small glitches in the audio. my slides and music were OK, but the narration was slurred.

I looked at the presets of the Camtasia mp4 and I notice the quality of the video was only set at 50% quality. Could that be the problem? I will try again if I have some time.

Thanks,

Don

• 7. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like good progress, a few wrinkles to iron out.

I am understanding that you are describing the experience with one Timeline associated with one burn to movie which has several video intros in it. Is that correct?

The Camtasia products usually have an excellent audio enhancement feature as I recall. I have not looked at the program in years.

Does the Camtasia movies (source files for the Premiere Elements project) play back OK on your computer player even before they get into Premiere Elements?

Do you still have the Premiere Elements project file that produced the DVD-VIDEO on DVD which played back with the problem narration part?

If so, please reopen the project, and export it as a DV Widescreen (if your file is 16:9 instead of 4:3)

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI

with Presets = DV NTSC Widescreen

and then determine if the narration of the file play back on a computer player sounds the same as the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc version of the Timeline content.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                        DonatHome Level 1

Hi  ATR,

The video with two video intros at beginning, followed up with 17 slides with music, and then narration made in "Record" in Camtasia 8.4 played great in my browser, played Great in Camtasia, Played great in Premiere Elements 12.1

I will try to do as you suggest. I may not be back to you for a little bit as this weekend is beginning with disaster. My toilet was leaking and the shut off valve was frozen. The my water heater blew, it was like Niagara Falls. The my close dryer burnt out. I am on my way to get the part for the closes dryer , then fix the toilet leak and valve. Have ordered the new Water Heater. That was all today.

Talk soon.

Don

• 9. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Wherever you are, it sounds like the same cloud that is over you is the same one over me recently.

But, do not give up, I keep thinking. all will resolve.

We will be looking forward to your results whenever your schedule permits.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 10. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                            DonatHome Level 1

Hello ATR,

Enough repair work for today.

I looked at your last response and need clarifying on the following excerpt.

"Do you still have the Premiere Elements project file that produced the DVD-VIDEO on DVD which played back with the problem narration part?

If so, please reopen the project, and export it as a DV Widescreen (if your file is 16:9 instead of 4:3)"

When you say "reopen the project." Do you mean open it in elements 12.1?

Where I am finding "Export?"

How do I find out if it is 16:9?

You probably covered this a while back bt I have forgotten, and just don't remember where to start with this.

Thanks,

Don

• 11. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

It was my understanding that you started a new Premiere Elements 12/12.1 project, brought in your source video, and, as a first try to burn to disc (DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc), you created a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. But, you had some problems with the audio in certain places.

So, I suggested the following

What I wanted to see for comparison was this (as described in post 7

Do you still have the Premiere Elements project file that produced the DVD-VIDEO on DVD which played back with the problem narration part?

If so, please reopen the project, and export it as a DV Widescreen (if your file is 16:9 instead of 4:3)

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI

and then determine if the narration of the file play back on a computer player sounds the same as the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc version of the Timeline content.

It was thought that after you did the burn to disc, you saved closed the project from which it was produced. So, I wanted you to open that 12/12.1 project file in 12/12.1 and, this time do

the export as a save to file rather than a burn to disc. In this scenario, instead of going Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, you would be using the route Publish+Share/Computer/AVI as described above.

If you did not save the project from which you did the burn to disc, then start a new project, import the same file used in the other project, and then do the Publish+Share/Computer/AVI.

When the export is completed successfully, play it back in Windows Media Player, and determine if the audio quality is same, worse, or better than you heard at playback of the DVD.

Please let me know if we are OK on the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                                DonatHome Level 1

I am back,

I am sorry I am such a dummy with this. I don't see anywhere to do the following -

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI

I am losing you somewhere. I open op premiere elements 12.1, go to ixistinf projects, open up my video. I don't find a place to  export it as a DV Widescreen?  "Export" is shaded out!

I don't see anything any thing under "Publish + Share" that says AVI

I don't know where to set the presets to DV NTSC Widescreen.

If I am starting to drive you crazy, try to imagine how I am right now. I am forgetting everything I learned previously, because everything looks fine and then something else goes wrong, probably because I miss a step or two.

Thanks for all your help and patience

Don

• 13. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Thanks for asking for clarification. Let us do a recap.

Back in post 7, I wrote

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI

Keep away from File Menu/Export for this. Unlike version 7, Premiere Elements 12/12.1 does not have File Menu/Export/Movie. Now it is only File Menu/Export/Title for

saving .prtl titles from the Project Assets area. You want to be at Publish+Share/Computer/AVI. If you see no AVI, then you have overlooked the thin slider to the right

of the list of choices under Publish+Share/Computer/. You are probably seeing only Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and AVCHD. You need to use that thin scroll bar to

scroll down the list to AVI.

AVI10.jpg

The above is a screenshot from version 10 that was handy for use here. Same idea with version 12/12.1.

Do not give up. Best is yet to come.

ATR

• 14. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                                    DonatHome Level 1

Hello ATR,

SUCCESS!

I followed all your instructions, seeing all the things I missed. Everything turned out well. I played the disk on my laptop and that went well. There was a slight little background blip here and there a few times (Maybe me biting my nails - just kidding). It is not anything that I would hold me back from burning a few more.

I will try to do another video soon, as this took a lot of time and a lot of your patience with me, and as a newbie, I probably forgot a lot, but will have our conversations to look back on and refresh my mind.

Final questions:

Project is saved and on a DVD.  I would like to make a label with my Logo on it and need to know can I do that in Premier elements or do I do that in Photoshop elements? (I have not even opened that that yet)

Also, if that is successful, how would I now make a DVD with the label AND A MENU? (Not necessary)

If you need a month or so to rest up from this ordeal I put you through, I will surely understand.

I pray all clouds will move away from both of us and sunshine from God will shine down on us.

God bless you for all your efforts.

Don

• 15. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Very great news. Great job.

For the DVD disc label

You need to do an inventory on what you have in the way of tools for this....

For the label design....

a. Photoshop Elements 12 Elements Organizer 12 Create/"CD/DVD Label" can generate a file with the label design.

If you have Nero burn software, often that comes with a Nero Cover Designer Application. Other ways too.

At least 3 ways to go with the file with the design for the label

a. print that label onto a paper label (sticky back) using the file with the design and your printer....typically not recommended because paper labels have the potential for creating problems for the player.

b. print that label onto the top surface of a special print on DVD disc, using a printer that has the feature where you insert the disc into the printer for

the printing...beautiful results if you can find a printer that still comes with that feature

c. print what is called LightScibe label...it gives a "tonal" look to the label....this is accomplished by inserting the special LightScribe

DVD into the DVD burner tray of a burner that supports LightScribe, and using one of these Designer Softwares that supports LightScribe.

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                                        DonatHome Level 1

Hi Atr,

Just got back. I have to prepare for tomorrow in the ministry, so I will have to process this later tonight or tomorrow night.

I don't have Nero, but do have Roxio, but never used it. I do also have Photoshop Elements 12, but never used that either. Just happy to have gotten this far, of course, with all your help. I will update you ASAP

Thanks again for everything.

Don

• 17. Re: Render mp4 to DVD
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

I am just a back seat driver. You are doing all the work and doing fine.

We will be looking forward to news of your disc labels. You can also make inserts to go in the jewel case which

will house your disc. Lots of possibility.

We will be watching for your progress.

Best wishes.

ATR