16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2015 10:23 AM by jiclark523

Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems

trev@trevdunbar.co.uk

Hi

My Lightroom Mobile syncing process is running very slow. I deleted the sync.lrdata file and started a new sync of approx 9500 images. Currently I have around 2100 images to sync, however the process has almost stopped. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
          Drt.Harrie Level 3

Hi Trev,

Does the problem relate to the Upload to your Lightroom Mobile, or is it related to the Download (to your Lightroom Mobile)?

Could you try with disabling the Startup Items on your System

Win: Restart Windows in a modified mode | Windows 7, Vista

Mac: http://support.apple.com/kb/ph14204

Are you using Smart Previews in the Catalog, or the Actual size images?

Have you tried with a Smaller amount of Images (try to group the collection that you are syncing)

please Post the Lr Desktop diagrnostig log.

This can be triggered via Lr Preferences->Lightroom Mobile and when you hold down the alt-key

you will notice a generate diagnostig log buttone.

This might help to find the cause of the behavior, if not other people can also look into it, and advise in this.

* Pay attention to Personal information that can be in the Log.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
            trev@trevdunbar.co.uk Level 1

The problem is when I am uploading to Lightroom Mobile. My previews are set on import to minimal.

I am running OS X 10.9.5 on an Apple iMac.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
              Drt.Harrie Level 3

Hi Trev,

Have you tried Syncing in Safe mode on the Mac? This would be to eliminate any processes that might be active in normal mode that might interfeer with the upload. Does you screen has a Retina Display? I have seen some topics where this might create a longer time for generating Smart previews to a smaller size

(iPad/iPhone screen size, compared to the Retina display)

Did you verify a Speedtest for your connection, just to make sure this is not influencing the sync behavior

This you can check for instance with Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

There are some more topics on the forum where people experience problems using the Sync with a high amount of images in the Catalog.

- Re: Lightroom 5.4 to Lightroom Mobile sync is soooo slow - why no local sync?

- Lightroom Sync Issues

Hope this helps

• 4. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems

I have tried booting in safe mode and it made no difference. I'm using an iPad 2 with no retina display. Performed speed test and results are ok.

I've eventually synced the 2100 images this morning. Tried to sync another collection with no luck. Sync has completed stopped.

Thanks for the help.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
                  greule Adobe Employee

Hi trev. Have you tried to remove the sync.lrdata file and restart LrD. This would restart/refresh the sync (metadata only).

Removing the Sync.lrdata might fix whatever the issue is.  Or, at least, might trigger it to occur again. So remove the Sync.lrdata, start Lr, and then wait until it either syncs or gets stuck again and create at this point a LrDesktop diagnostic log which can hopefully provide some clues.

You can find the  sync.lrdata file here:

On Mac it's at /Users/<user>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/Sync Data/Sync.lrdata

On Win it would be at C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\Sync Data\Sync.lrdata

Send the LR Desktop diagnostig log to me  - best as a private message with a downloadable dropbox link.

You can trigger the log via LR Desktop preferences -> Lightroom Mobile and when you hold down the alt key you will notice a generate diagnostic log button

-

Guido

• 6. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems

How do I send you private message?

• 7. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
                      greule Adobe Employee

Click on my User Id and then you will see a message entry. - Guido

• 8. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
                        jiclark523 Level 1

Did you guys ever figure out a resolution to this? I'm seeing very slow syncing as well (downloading, which should be speedy on my 12Mb/s connection, especially since it's only iPhone photos, not RAW files). I can try the process above, but I'd love it know if it worked first...

Thanks,

John

• 9. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems

John

No, my 30 day trial expired.

Regards

Trev

• 10. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
                            wknight23

I too am suffering with very slow sync speeds and it only gets so far and stops and I have to kick start it again. I am using fibre so my link is fast, BUT Adobe engineers have forgotten that not everyone lives in North America. Here in the UK I have a cap on the amount of traffic I can apply across my broadband. Having to upload and then download is of course very slow. I think the design team have been very naive thinking that a local sync cannot be achieved. I use to design software and it would have been my first option. Most products operate a local sync which is very quick. By all means provide a upt o cloud sync but make it an option. I only need to sync between 1 machine and an ipad. Until we have a local sync it will never be fast.

• 11. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
                              Pellep

I have to admit that I am very disappointed with the sync speeds on Lightroom Mobile. At the moment I am syncing 328 pictures with my iPhone 5S. So far it has been 1h 40min and it's still downloading images for offline use, now going at 257 out of 328. If I don't download them for offiline use, going through pictures is laggy. I really don't understand what is the benefit of Lightroom Mobile with these speeds.

I did a speed test with a San Jose, CA server (I am based in Switzerland) and the results are as follows:

Ping: 196 ms

Download: 15.46 Mbps

Upload: 1.66 Mbps

• 12. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
                                ibarrien Adobe Employee

Does it work better after the update to 1.2.2?

thanks,

Ignacio

• 13. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
                                  jiclark523 Level 1

Not for me! Slow as ever... Sure wish you guys could fix this!!

• 14. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
                                    lnjustin

I'm having the same problem. It says it's syncing on both desktop and mobile but it doesn't do anything. I tried looking for the sync.lrdata file but i can't find it at /Users/<user>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/Sync Data/Sync.lrdata. And yes I replaced <user> with my user name and even did a full mac search for sync.lrdata and all lrdata files. Nothing. I have a mobile downloads file and some previews files, but no sync files? Help?

• 15. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
                                      greule Adobe Employee

Hi Injustin. Am I right that you have still running Lr Desktop version 5.5? If so I would strongly recommend to update to the most recent version 5.7  since we fixed a lot of sync issues during the last releases.

-

Guido

• 16. Re: Lightroom Mobile Sync Problems
                                        jiclark523 Level 1

Hey Guido,

Having just updated to Lightroom CC, I'm extremely disappointed to find that syncing is as slooooooow as ever. It immediately reported that 53 photos need to be synced, and that number has not moved in close to ten minutes!?!?

Seriously, do you guys not hear the near unanimous complaints from your users about your web services? It's like your servers are on dial-up connections or something...

Please, FIX THIS, and soon!

Sincerely,

John