6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 4:50 PM by bhousto90

Syncing Lightroom Collections with Smugmug Galleries

FSchleyhahn Level 1

Is it possible to keep Lightroom Collections in sync with Smugmug Galleries within Lightroom itself?  For example, I have a Lightroom Collection called Sunsets and I also have a Smugmug Gallery called Sunsets. If I were to add a picture to the Lightroom Collection or delete it from the Lightroom Collection, I would like for that same photo to be added or deleted to/from the Smugmug Gallery automatically.  I am using the latest Smugmug Plugin for Lightroom.  The problem I face is trying to remember what photos I have added or deleted from my Lightroom Collections and then doing the same thing for the Smugmug Galleries.  If there is a way to keep these in sync, then my problem will be solved.  Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Syncing Lightroom Collections with Smugmug Galleries
          kentmcpherson Level 1

I do this all the time with Lightroom and Smugmug. Under the Publish Services on the left pane of LR, do you see Smugmug and then a list of all your galleries? That is what I see in mine. Any time I add, delete, or modify a photo that has been published to my Smugmug account, when you select that gallery, it will show you what pictures need to published, re-published, or deleted. You must create the gallery in LR first though.

• 2. Re: Syncing Lightroom Collections with Smugmug Galleries
            FSchleyhahn Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I see the same thing but what I am referring to are the actual Lightroom Collections and Collection Sets themselves on the left side under Collections.  If I delete a photo from a Collection, how will that same picture get deleted from the corresponding Smugmug Gallery under Publish Services? Conversely, if I delete a picture from a Smugmug Gallery under Publish Services, how will that same picture get deleted from the Lightroom Collection under Collections?  Is it possible to keep the Collection under Collections and the corresponding Gallery under Publish Services in-sync within Lightroom?

• 3. Re: Syncing Lightroom Collections with Smugmug Galleries
              kentmcpherson Level 1

As I understand it, in order to keep Smugmug galleries in sync, you must define collections in the Smugmug Publish Services area.  Otherwise, there is no way for LR to know what it is supposed to sync on Smugmug.

• 4. Re: Syncing Lightroom Collections with Smugmug Galleries
                FSchleyhahn Level 1

I don't see an option to create/define collections in the Smugmug Public Service area.  I can only create Folders or Galleries or Smart Galleries.  Do you have the ability to create collections there?

• 5. Re: Syncing Lightroom Collections with Smugmug Galleries
                  kentmcpherson Level 1

Right click on the Galleries in Smugmug Publish Services and you'll get a popup menu that allows you to create new galleries. 

• 6. Re: Syncing Lightroom Collections with Smugmug Galleries
                    bhousto90 Level 3

If you are using Jeffery Friedl's Smugmug publish plug-in you can do the following:

Create Normal Collection in LR  i.e.  "Sunsets"

In the Smugmug Publish Services create a new Smart gallery (call it Sunsets as well) (See instructions on Jeffery's site for specifics on doing this)

Once the empty Smart Gallery has been created then you can edit it in Lightroom to have the rule(s) like below:

Choose Source as Collection, Contains All, 'Sunsets'  (as the text to match)

I could not test this out directly with Smugmug as I only have a Zenfolio account.

But the instructions on Jeffery's site look like this is applicable to either his Smugmug or Zenfolio plugin.

Now, if I add/delete a photo to the normal LR collection titled 'Sunsets' then the corresponding Smart collection in the Publish services shows the same.

You then have to click on the Publish button to get the actual website updated with the changes.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction for what you are trying to accomplish.

Bruce