10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 7:34 AM by Jiinxs

Video show only within safety margin

Jiinxs Level 1

I really do hope I don't need to redo everything I just edited. So I hope you guys have an answer for me.

The problem is that Ive made a video that contains pictures and live video 1920x1080 resolution. The video starts with a 720p picture then goes on to 1080p video. What I don't understand is when I've exported it as the same format as I always do. The video only shows what's within the safety margin. Is this happening because I've manage to move a frame of the video "off the screen" somehow?

And if you manage to do that, isn't there a reset button so it goes back within the "frambox" or what you call it.

Out in the video Ive used the pan / zoom function, has that something todo with the video only showing what's inside the safety margin?

When I started the project I didn't select new. I just opened the program and started adding video/pictures.

Im exporting it as the same type each time, which is Adobe flash video and the F4V- HD 1080p. That has always worked fine for me and I haven't had this problem before.

• 1. Re: Video show only within safety margin
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jiinxs

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is running?

Safety Margins have their significant for video for TV viewing, example DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.... It has to due with a TV concept called overscanning.

If you have a F4V - HD 1080p, I am suspecting that your issue may go to a misinterpretation of Safety Margins.

If you have a 1920 x 1080 video and a 1280 x 720 picture, have Edit Menu/Preference/General with "Default Scale to

Frame Size" with a check mark next to it, and a 1920 x 1080 project preset, when you import these files into that 1920 x 1080 project, both should fill completely

the 1920 x 1080 space in the Edit area monitor.

Are you trying to fit your image into the Safety Margins outer rectangle (for action) and inner rectangle (for text)? I am

concerned that you focusing on filling the wrong space and creating black borders in your work.

Also, when you pan and zoom, especially with the pans, you need to be careful that you do not create black area at the end of your pan.

Often, scaling the image up a bit to give you some more room for the pan helps.

Always a good idea to make sure at the onset that you (manually) or the project (automatically) has set a project preset which

will match the properties of your source media. In this case, you favor the properties of the video. Please refer to the following:

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

The above is an overview in response to how I interpreted your questions. Please review and let me know if I have targeted the

information that you sought, If not, more details please.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Video show only within safety margin
            Jiinxs Level 1

Im using Elements 12 and running Windows 8.1.

Yeah, I know the reason behind it and all, but this is the first time Ive had this problem.

Ive changed the resolution on the picture to 1080p, so everything are in the same resolution now.

46151.PNG

The picture is the one that I've changed after that there is a video.

From what I understood from you description I should turn it ON, but it was check when I got into that menu you where talking about.

The text I have are inside the outer rectangle. Will it help if I move it inside the inner rectangle? Asking because it takes me 30 to just export this project.

I panned in on the spot then out again, and its the out I think got messed up because the green rectangle didn't go all the way out. But I didnt manage to pull it all the way out in the corners. Because I cant just stretch one of the sides.

2314124124.PNG

From now on I will do what you said with setting the preference of the project Im going to be working on.

• 3. Re: Video show only within safety margin
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jiinxs

Thanks for the reply.

If you are heading for an export to file saved to the computer hard drive, you need not focus on Safety Margins. Check out the following screenshot where I have placed the text

in the bottom left edge of the frame, way out of the inner rectangle for text safety. Yet, when I play back an F4V 1080p export of that Timeline content, the content is displayed at its bottom left location with no cut offs (VLC player Full Screen).

Opened Premiere Elements project

Capture.JPG

Screen Capture of F4V 1080p video export from above Timeline

vlcsnap-2014-10-08-16h02m47.jpg

If this were going to be to a burn to disc to be played back on the TV player, then you would want to keep text within the inner rectangle and action within the outer rectangle.

Are you doing your pans and zooms with the program's Pan and Zoom tool for the video as well as the picture(s)? If so, you might want to take a look a my blog post on

Pan and Zoom Tool and video.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12/12.1: Pan and Zoom Tool and Video File

You have probably seen the usual Pan and Zoom and stills, but just in case,

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Pan and zoom to create video-like effect

With the Default Scale to Frame Size in effect with your NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@29.97 or DSLR 1080p30, you should

have been able to use your 1280 x 720 photo without resizing before import.

Please let us know if I am targeting your questions.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...If you find that the Pan and Zoom Tool is not meeting your panning and zooming needs, we can talk about using instead keyframing

of the Motion Scale (for zoom) and Motion Position (for pan)....See Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded.

• 4. Re: Video show only within safety margin
                Jiinxs Level 1

32413421312.PNG

I just checked the resolution of the video that Ive been exporting.

Its in 1472x832 Which is the inner rectangle.

I picked this one since some of the other one gave me out of sync results.

Yeah Im using the pan and zoom within the program, I thought I had a grasp on it but either way thanks for the links.

If I don't find a solution I think I just start again, even tho I don't know what I acually did to make this happen.

Ive removed all the pan and zoom now just to test if that the problem.

Edit: Nothing had changed after I removed the pan/zoom effect.

• 5. Re: Video show only within safety margin
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jiinxs

Things to consider....

It looks like you are setting your project preset at 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 60 progressive frames per second? I am basing that on what I

see as the source information in the Summary of your export settings "Source"

You say that what you are putting on the Timeline is 1472 x 832 which is 16:9. What is the frame rate of this video?

If you say 59.94 or 60 frames per second, I will go with your project preset.

If you have Edit Menu/Preferences/General with Default Scale to Frame Size, the program will automatically scale

your 1472 x 832 16:9 to 1920 x 1080 16:9 to fit the space in the Edit area monitor. That 1920 x 1080 space exists because of

the 1920 x 1080 project preset that was set. So, no black borders. And, if you are heading for a F4V export, you need not focus

on Safety Margins.

But when I got to your export settings, the first thing that I notice is frame rate = Same As Source. Based on history,

do not use "Same As Source", use the actual value. "Same As Source" does not work. If your source is 59.94 or 60 progressive

frames per second, then set the Frame Rate in the export setting for 59.94 or 60.

As I said before,you may have to scale your image up a little to give yourself some room for pans and zooms so that you do not pan

the image off the Edit area monitor space.

ATR

• 6. Re: Video show only within safety margin
                    Jiinxs Level 1

It's 1:20 AM here I live, but I'll try to answer.

The source is a 1920x1080 60fps video.

The picture that I had in the start was a regular 1280x720 picture, but I've used another program and resized it up to 1920x1080

1472x832 is the resolution that comes after I've exported it with the settings I linked in the picture from my previous post. I have no idea where that resolution comes from, but from the picture here you can see that it's not from the safety margins.

33242345555.PNG

But I've decided to just start over again, it's not that much and then I'll get more practice anyway. So almost a win win.. Almost....

Thanks for the help! Love the quick respond!!

• 7. Re: Video show only within safety margin
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jiinxs

Thanks for the follow ups.

As you present your workflow, 1920 x 1080 p60 video and 1920 x 1980 picture and with those export settings, the only issue I have is with the export settings

frame rate set as Same As Source as I mentioned before. But, that should not be contributing to your getting 1472 x 832 F4V export.

If you have not already, could you try one more time with this project. This time import your video and picture, but do not do any panning and zooming and then

let us see what the export looks like as well as what its properties are.

After you do the F4V export, where are you seeing this 1472 x 832 description for your F4V export?

Please consider. We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Video show only within safety margin
                        Jiinxs Level 1

Changed it to 30 fps and everything is ok now. Still don't know why since Ive done this before without this result.

• 9. Re: Video show only within safety margin
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jiinxs

Wonderful news "..everything is ok now.....".

Is the ok with pan and zooms also?

Since you have done this before without problem, it may have been a one time project malfunctioning. But, if it reoccurs, then we need to

trace your workflow steps to see what step might have triggers the problem in the program as opposed to the specific project.

Best wishes as you move forward with your projects. Please never hesitate to ask if you have any questions or need clarification.

ATR

• 10. Re: Video show only within safety margin
                            Jiinxs Level 1

The pan and zoom worked fine to.

Hope it was a one time project malfunction.

Thanks again for the quick respond and help Have a nice day ^^