3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 7:48 AM by A.T. Romano

Facial Recognition Questions/Issues

Andrea417 Level 1

I have been evaluating a multitude of photo organizing software and, so far, the Photoshop Elements Organizer is the best in every area except for the facial recognition which I am having some issues with.  So, before purchasing, I wanted to see if I could get some more information.  Here are the problems I'm having:

1.  Doesn't recognize very well, even after hundreds of photos of the same person.  Right now I'm working on organizing 14 years worth of photos and I literally have thousands of photos of my son.  I've utilized the facial recognition on hundreds of photos of him thus far and it is still having problems recognizing him.  I keep getting the "Who is this?" and, on many, it doesn't even list him as an option on its "best guess".  I could understand this if the photos were blurry, the face is obscured or at a weird angle, but these are front on.  It does, however, do really well when I have a tag such as "Photo Bomber", "Classmate", etc. where there are numerous different faces for the tag.  I don't understand how miscellaneous people can be tagged properly when the one face that is most common is not.

2.  I tagged many of the same photos referenced in #1 in Microsoft's Photo Gallery and did not have these issues.  It got everything right 90% of the time.  Because Microsoft is better at the facial recognition, I would prefer to utilize it for the people tags and then import them in to the Photoshop Elements Organizer, but Photoshop doesn't recognize any of the Microsoft people tags.  Is there a way around this or are there any future plans to allow importing people tags from any other software?

3.  The facial recognition is pulling up the same photos over and over and over and over again, and yes, I have verified I do not have duplicate photos.  It is getting really annoying, tedious and time consuming.   They are all identical photos and it is still asking me "Who is this?" even after the fourth time I've told it.  Any future plans of resolving this issue?

4.  This one is simply an inconvenience in lieu of an issue, but when identifying people, I sometimes have to double click on the thumbnail and view the full photo to verify the person.  When I do this, if I accidentally click on the 'X' to close the window instead of clicking the "Back" button, it completely exits me from the People Recognition process.  Then then I have to run the analyzer again which takes a while due to the large volume of photos.  It would be wonderful if it would ask me if I want to exit the process instead of just exiting me out.

Other than the facial recognition, I love the software and how easy it is to organize, view and create albums.  Thank you to all who respond for your assistance in these matters.

Andrea

• 1. Re: Facial Recognition Questions/Issues
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrea

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements are standalone products, each coming with an Elements Organizer. Same version, with both on the same computer they share the same Elements Organizer catalog.

All that being said....your question has somehow been posted in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum (video editing) and not the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum (photo editing).

It would be to your advantage to post your thread in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum so that people like Barbara Brundage, MichelBParis, dj_Paige and others can work with your on your Elements Organize facial recognition questions.

Photoshop Elements

Please let us know your situation, program wise.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Facial Recognition Questions/Issues
            Andrea417 Level 1

Thanks, A.T.,

Yes, I thought I was on the Photoshop side.  I'm new to the Adobe family and am finding the support center a tad difficult to navigate as there are so many facets.  I will re-post on that thread.

Andrea

• 3. Re: Facial Recognition Questions/Issues
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrea

Thanks for the follow up.

Facial recognition has always been a challenging Elements Organizer feature. I will try to follow the replies that you get on this matter in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum.

Best wishes.

ATR