2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 7:59 AM by lizparker.net

Batch change page size of InDesign documents

lizparker.net

I have about 300 one-page InDesign (cc 2014, Mavericks) documents of varying page sizes. Each page is 4 inches wider and 4 inches taller that the content of the page. The content is in the middle of the page—effectively making a 2-inch margin (but with no margin guides) around the content. What I need to do is get the page of all documents to be one specific page size, 7.125” x 9.75”.

I was able to accomplish this by putting all the docs in a book, making a master page 7.125” x 9.75” on one doc, synching the other docs, and then opening each doc and applying the master page. The last bit was a little labor intensive and I would like to avoid it going forward.

Could a script be written that opens selected InDesign docs (in or not in a book) and changes the various page sizes to the one size needed? I’ve never written scripts before so have no idea if it is possible or how to do it.

I put the following on another forum and got help but it required that I have control over the creation of the original docs. And I don’t. “Is there a way to globally apply a master page to all pages of all docs in a book?”

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Batch change page size of InDesign documents
          BEGINNER_X Level 3

Hi,

Is this your requirement,

var myFolder = Folder.selectDialog("Select the Folder contains Indesign Files")

var myFiles = myFolder.getFiles("*.indd")

alert("Total Indesign Files: " + myFiles.length)

for(i=0; i<myFiles.length; i++)
          {
              app.open(myFiles[i])
              app.scriptPreferences.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevels.NEVER_INTERACT;

var myDoc = app.activeDocument;
              myDoc.viewPreferences.horizontalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.inches;
              myDoc.viewPreferences.verticalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.inches;

with(myDoc.documentPreferences){
              pageHeight = "7.125";
              pageWidth = "9.75";
              }
          app.activeDocument.save();

app.activeDocument.close();

}

Regards

Siraj

• 2. Re: Batch change page size of InDesign documents
            lizparker.net Level 1

Siraj,

Thanks so much for this. It worked perfectly after I switched the dimensions—height to 9.75" and width to 7.125". (I should have been more clear on my original post).

Is there anyway to include getting the content on the page to appear at the top left corner of the doc? The top left of the content would be at the  0 x 0 point on the rulers.

I know, now I'm asking for the moon.