2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 12:13 AM by Yammer

Differences in colours between Photoshop and Bridge

Lars Krogsgaard

I have a question that have puzzled me for a while. There's some differences between the colours in bridge and in photoshop. When they're previewed in Bridge it has nice warm and sligtly desaturated feel to it. When i open the RAW file in Photoshop it gets much pale and red. Why is that? The same thing happens when i shoot the picture and the first preview shows the warm and desaturated version, but when i see the picture again it's back to the pale and red version. Same thing happens, when i open it in Ligthroom. When i click on a picture, it shows the warm and desaturated version, but quickly return to the other one, after the picture is loaded.

I really like the warm and slightly desaturated version, so is there a way i can keep it, or bring it back? I know it has something to do with the colour conversion, that happens in the camera, but i can't figure out how to use it.

I'm shooting with a Canon EOS 5d mkIII. See a screenshot of the issue. Skærmbillede 2014-10-08 kl. 19.42.03.png

Please help me...

Lars

• 1. Re: Differences in colours between Photoshop and Bridge
          Richard Southworth Level 3

There is a non-obvious menu at the top right hand side of Bridge that selects whether Bridge displays the camera generated jpeg within the raw file (your preferred rendering above) or the ACR version (the warmer redder image).  I set mine to High Quality so the Bridge version always matches the ACR, even if it takes slightly longer to render.

Canon has its own algorithm for conversion and AFAIK they don't share it with Adobe.  My advice is change the Bridge setting so that the two match, and try the other camera profiles under ACR Camera Calibration to see if one is more pleasing than the stock Adobe Standard.  Alternatively, you can get into modifying/creating your own camera profiles, but that will take some more study and tools, such as using the DNG Profile Editor.

Richard Southworth

• 2. Re: Differences in colours between Photoshop and Bridge
            Yammer Level 4

^^^ What he said.

The obvious profile to try first would be "Camera Standard", as that's the one Adobe creates to most closely match the camera's default Picture Control (or whatever Canon calls it). If you open an unprocessed Raw file, change the camera profile, then select "Save New Camera Raw defaults" from the fly-out menu, you will be able to start off every ACR session with this profile (instead of Adobe Standard).

Also, it's worth pointing out that Bridge's image previews are in sRGB. If your images have deep red or cyan content, these will not be shown in the preview nor full-screen. This is because Bridge creates an sRGB image cache for thumbnails and previews. You won't see the full colour space until you launch Camera Raw. Most of the time, this shouldn't be a problem.