4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 6:33 PM by bregent

Automatically convert siteroot-relative links to document relative links?

divi8

I am wondering if there is a function of Dreamweaver to automate this task.

I find myself constantly making updates to my websites and the way I am doing it takes massive amounts of time. My websites are organized so each section of the site is in its own folder. I've learned this is the best way to organize the site for SEO purposes. So some pages may be in the root, while others are in "subfolder 1" while others are in "sub-subfolder1" and so on. If I want to add, say, a graphic to every page of the site I need to go in to each page to modify the links so that they all correctly point to the image in the /image folder of root. I tried using root-relative links but I can't preview a local copy of the sites in web browsers as I am editing, building, and testing them.

So that leads me to my question...what is the best way to go about automatically updating a link on every page of the website given that many pages of the site are in different folders?

• 1. Re: Automatically convert siteroot-relative links to document relative links?
          Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My websites are organized so each section of the site is in its own folder. I've learned this is the best way to organize the site for SEO purposes.

I don't know where you got such blatantly false information but I can assure you that the folder hierarchy of your site has absolutely no effect on search engines.  They couldn't care less how you organize your site files.  All they care about is content and good HTML semantics.

If you prefer to organize your files this way, that's fine.  If you use a server-side include for your menus it should be no big deal to use root relative or absolute URLs. 

Site > Manage Sites > Local info.  Select either root relative or document relative links.

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Automatically convert siteroot-relative links to document relative links?
            divi8 Level 1

That didn't answer my question in the slightest.

What is the best way to go about automatically updating a link on every page of the website given that many pages of the site are in different folders?

I am not using a server-side include for my menus.

• 3. Re: Automatically convert siteroot-relative links to document relative links?
              Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using DW Templates?

Nancy O.

• 4. Re: Automatically convert siteroot-relative links to document relative links?
                bregent Most Valuable Participant

>I am wondering if there is a function of Dreamweaver to automate this task.

No, DW does not have a utility for this. You would need to change your settings and then re-link the resources or otherwise go in and change the code by hand. You might be able to find a stand alone utility that could do this.

>I find myself constantly making updates to my websites and the way I am doing it takes massive amounts of time.

Could you elaborate? Is the massive amount of time related to the way things are organized? I can't imagine why that would be. In any case, any site that takes a massive amount of time deserves to be using SSI.

> I tried using root-relative links but I can't preview a local copy of the sites in web browsers as I am editing, building, and testing them.

Do you know that you can preview site root relative docs if you either define a testing server, or enable the 'Use temporary file' option?

1 person found this helpful