0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 6:20 PM by regsquires

1280x720 25p not outputting through Mercury + Blackmagic

regsquires Level 1

So this issue is why I am not really using AE CC 2014 as much as I would like to.

When I make a comp that is 1280 x 720 and a frame rate of 25p it does not show in my broadcast monitor. I have switched on the output for non standard frame sizes set to centred but I get a down size to 576 at 50i rather than an upscale to HD 50i. Is this at all possible and why is 25p not a standard output when it is a preset in the composition chooser? In fact there is no preset for 1280x720 50p which is a telling omission. To get it to work you need to change the default 1280x720 preset in After Effects to 50p for it to show correctly. Now I understand that 1280x720 50p is an industry standard but my workflow (and I think if you look on Vimeo you will find this to be the case) is 1280x720 25p 30p or 24p for output.

This from the compression guidelines on Vimeo's site:

Vimeo recommends uploading with frame rates of 24 (or 23.976), 25, and 30 (or 29.97). If you know the frame rate of your footage, it's best to encode your final video at the same frame rate. However, if your footage exceeds 30 FPS (frames per second), you should encode your video at half that frame rate. For example, if you shot at 60 FPS, you should encode your final video at 30 FPS. If you're uncertain what frame rate you shot at, set your frame rate to either "Current" or 30 FPS. If there is an option for keyframes, choose the same value you used for frame rate. Important: Always choose "constant" frame rate instead of "variable" frame rate.

When I use After Effects CC this is not an issue and a 1280x720 25p timeline gets output as I can select a 720 50p output in video preview settings. Yes it is the old video output system that has now been replaced by Mercury in AE CC2014 but it's much better. I used to always shoot 720 50p as this allowed for great slomo if you needed it but you could output to 25p by dropping it in 25p or 24p timeline. I now have a GH4 which shoots 50p full HD so it's not so much of an issue, but seriously you could not edit a 720 24p timeline and view it at 50p it just look rubbish.

So all I'd like to know is who's fault this is and if a fix would be at all possible. I would hazard a guess that because Blackmagic has no 25p output then the ball is in their court. However since it did work in AECC perfectly well before why can't it work here.

It would be great to hear if other people have this issue.