1 2 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 12:45 PM by Cadillacula

Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...

Cadillacula Level 1

How does something like this feel?

Case
      Something "silent"

Power-Supply

850w quiet

Processor

Intel i7 Haswell Extreme CPU

Clockspeed     4.4GHz

Cores     5960X = 6 (16 threads), 5930k = 6 (12 threads), 5820k = 4 (12 threads)

Cooler     280mm

Memory / RAM

64GB (max)

DDR4/2133 CL-15

Quad Channel

Motherboard

Chipset     Intel X99

PCIe     5

PCI     0

SATA     10 SATA-III

eSATA     1

USB-3     6

USB-2     6

LAN     10/100/1000 Mbps

Video Card

GTX-780Ti (maybe ?)

What is the biggest baddest "supported" card right now for Pro CC?

• 2. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Look at the 2666 DDR 4 ram if possible. Also get the 980GTX and not the 780Ti. The performance is similar but the 980GTX draws far less power and generates far less heat. It also gives you HDMi 2.0

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
            Cadillacula Level 1

Thanks cc_merchant -- I assume you picked up on the fact the latest adobe premiere update was a disaster - and forcing me to think about a new computer a year or so prematurely. ugh.

So ECBowen - I noticed the 980GTX is not on the approved list. Neither is the 780Ti but the regular 780 is so I thought it was a safer bet.

The 980GTX edges out the 780Ti in benchmarks so it would be my first choice... but OK to go off list?

• 4. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...

Yes the list doesn't impact CC 2014 if you use the correct Nvidia driver and edit the supported list for the card in AME.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                Cadillacula Level 1

OK how is this list shaping up?

Case

Something "silent"

Power-Supply

850w quiet

Processor

Intel i7 Haswell Extreme CPU

Clockspeed   4.4GHz

Cores   5960X = 6 (16 threads), 5930k = 6 (12 threads), 5820k = 4 (12 threads)

Cooler   280mm

Memory / RAM

64GB

2666 DDR 4

Quad Channel

Motherboard

Chipset   Intel X99

PCIe   5

PCI   0

SATA   10 SATA-III

eSATA   1

USB-3   6

USB-2   6

LAN   10/100/1000 Mbps

Video Card

GTX-980GTX

Hard Drives

3 Drive Setup

C: SSD - 256 GB

D: SATA III - 2 TB

E: SATA III - 1 TB

- OR -

4 Drive Setup

E: SATA III - 320 GB

F: SATA III - 1 TB

• 6. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One very minor edit, the i7-5960X is an 8 core machine, you got the 16 threads correct.

What is the specific motherboard you are planning on using?

At this point in time I strongly suggest at least second large SSD versus hard drive #2 and then large hard drive for archiving

What CPU cooler?  280mm does not mean anything to me.

• 7. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                    Cadillacula Level 1

Good call on processor - updated below.

Open to suggestions on Motherboard if you think it really matters - beyond it being X99 of course.

Cant justify the cost of high capacity SSD's at this time, and I've heard a few war stories about their limited writes when it comes to something as read/write intensive as editing video.

No idea on cooler - that was something left over from a copy paste I did.

UPDATED LIST:

Case

Something "silent"

Power-Supply

850w quiet

Processor
                    Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Processor Extreme Edition
                    (20M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)

Memory / RAM

64GB

2666 DDR 4

Quad Channel

Motherboard

Chipset   Intel X99

PCIe   5

PCI   0

SATA   10 SATA-III

eSATA   1

USB-3   6

USB-2   6

LAN   10/100/1000 Mbps

Video Card

GTX-980GTX

Hard Drives

3 Drive Setup

E: SATA III - 1 TB

- OR -

4 Drive Setup

E: SATA III - 320 GB

F: SATA III - 1 TB

• 8. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                      TimvandenOever Level 1

Fractal Design Define R4 has a reputation of being a quiet case, but it might limit your options for expansion as it's only a regular sized chassis. It comes with 8x 3.5" and two additional 2.5" slots though. Bigger cases I can not say for sure. I think Fractal Design has a similar noise proofing design in some of their other cases.

I'd steer clear of Corsairs RM series for a power supply (numerous reports about bad fans). For platinum certified you could go with Corsairs HXi, AX or AXi series. They are manufactured by CWT, Seasonic and Flextronics respectively. You could also go with Seasonic Platinum XP series. Maybe you don't mind so much about platinum. It costs a lot more than gold for only 1-2% higher efficiency, however for some reason or another, what I see through reviews of numerous psu's as well, most gold ones are noisier. Or there is simply more focus on the newer power supplies, and you see more  semi-fanless powersupplies that won't kick in till 400W (~50% of rated Wattage).

Realistically your system might never even hit that, but don't let that make you think you need a lesser rated power supply. 750-850 Watts is great to have and under load you'll be running at the best efficiency so it'll be good on the bills.

Did you consider a cooler for your cpu yet? The Haswell E processors don't even bother shipping with a lousy stock cooler.

• 9. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                        Cadillacula Level 1

good insight thanks. no idea what direction to go for cooling.

• 10. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                          JFPhoton Level 3

......do not FEAR the SSDs !!!!   I do not know what you are reading.....but, it's WRONG !!!!!    The current Samsung 850 Pro series SSDs are the FASTEST SATA III drives available AND the reliability is the HIGHEST for SSDs...WAY more than spinning HDDs and other SSDs. Both the Samsung Pro and the cheaper Crucial M550 series SSDs are IDEAL for video....they have the right controller to handle "incompressible data",(video) and thus they WRITE as well as they READ......far beyond 500MB/sec. !!!! Compared to the POKEY mechanical HDDs, that top out at ~ 130MB/sec....without counting the "fill degradation" that lower the speed by HALF, when the drive is 50% full AND the LATENCY that conventional HDDs have. Just stay away from the "Sandforce" controlled SSDs and choose ONLY the Crucial M550 series,or, the more expensive and BEST Samsung 850 Pro SSDs.

• 11. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                            TimvandenOever Level 1

Yeah, if you don't mind paying 10x as much per GB the SSDs are very nice. The newest Samsung 850 Pro even comes with 10 years warranty or 150 TBW whichever comes first, something they couldn't be doing if they had those horrid old OCZ disks that pretty much not even ruined the company but a good name for SSDs all together.

ps I know OCZ went bankrupt for a couple of factors but having several lines of ssd's with a reported failure rate between 40 and 50% and not taking them off the market is just one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in recent years. You'd have to be Microsoft to get away with something like that *cough* xbox 360s *cough* ...

• 12. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                              Cadillacula Level 1

Yes as I mentioned earlier I can't justify the SSD price and I verbally "heard" war stories about limited writes. Probably not in the stars for this build beyond the OS.

How is everything else looking guys? I want to kind of lock this and then start picking ($$) away at it piece by piece.

• 13. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                JFPhoton Level 3

.....like I SAID......whatever you may have "heard" is WRONG !!!  The Samsung 850 Pro series ,and the close behind Crucial M550 SSDs read AND write close to the interface speed of SATA III....nearly 600 MB/sec !!!!!  Many people are now using these two makes of SSDs for their WORKING drives....to get the maximum speed benefit.....and are RELEGATING their large capacity spinning hard drives for archival use and for backup. The prices on these SSDs have come WAY DOWN and their reliability ....esp. the Samsung is FAR BETTER than any mechanical spinning drive. The Crucial M550s have been at a low price recently on new Egg.....watch for a sale event. the increase in performance over a single HDD is WORTH the small amount of extra cost. You wouldn't buy a FERRARI and then install a LAWNMOWER ENGINE in it....would you ???

• 14. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                  Cadillacula Level 1

No need to shout, I can hear you. I would go for the Lawnmower Engine if the Ferrari engine only lasted for 10,000 miles before accepting any more fuel into it. I'm not sure what part of "limited writes" you don't understand, that has nothing to do with speed. I'm well aware of the pluses on the speed side, hence why I am purchasing one of them for my OS. Not that I would ever call a 10,000 RPM Velociraptor a Lawn Mower engine, but I get your general point.

I am also very glad you feel the price is coming down. Now as I've mentioned a couple of times, for this build I wont be able to swing multiples, even if SSD's can fly out of my machine and grab me a beer from the fridge. So my box will sadly only be as good/fast/reliable as the ones feature films were edited on last year I suppose.

Next build I'll reassess, thanks again for your insight. Not what I wanted this thread to turn into so I will do my part and stop that portion of the discussion.

Hard Drives aside (pretty please) any other things I should tweak?

• 15. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                    TimvandenOever Level 1

About 'silence', how important is that for you. Do you do sound intensive things? I could point out that some brands tend to be a lot noisier than others. The Asus Strix cards and MSI's new TWIN FROZR V cooler offer semi fanless operation up to 65 degrees Celcius. I think that either Gigabyte or EVGA is going to offer a similar solution for their cards through a firmware/software update but I forgot which... Stay far away from a brand like XFX for their noisy cards, they're more popular for overclocking I suppose.

How important is the work you intend to do, and time you have to complete projects? If you are on somewhat of a budget perhaps you could open up a large chunk of it by going for a slightly less speedy processor. And similarly the 970 GTX offers much of the same benefits of the 980, but at a much sweeter price point.

• 16. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                      Cadillacula Level 1

Silence is important, I score most of the films I edit and typically incorporate a lot of foley and ADR. So go with your recommends above then?

The work is uber important as I'm dangerously (health, relationships, finances) deep in, but the timeline is squarely on me. I'm auteur on everything we're doing.

• 17. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                        TimvandenOever Level 1

I ordered parts for my build today, should be in this Friday so I could let you know how quiet things are if you care to wait that long. I've definitely looked for 'quiet' parts. Heck I've scoured the internet for reviews and benchmarks and what not.

Got a Corsair HX750i that comes with a 140mm fan, where almost all other power supplies have a 120mm one. I'm hoping that even after OC it won't spin up and stay in passive or I might even take a milder overclock just to make sure of it. I know a bunch of other platinum rated power supplies are quiet as well. Corsair's AX and AXi and Seasonics Platinum XP all have semi fanless mode and kick in late, and they're made by better oems (the HXi is made by CWT). I kinda almost worry about it but both JonnyGuru and techpowerup give great reviews to the series. I would've gone with the Corsair Seasonic OEM if it weren't that this should be the quietest one.

The Fractal Design R4 Define case with dense bitumen used in the sound panels for sound proofing. Sure it's mostly marketing nonsense and what not but at the very least it's built to be closed off mainly. No thin plastic side window and what not. No massive mesh case that lets all the sound out like thin air (my main reason I stopped buying Cooler Master cases). Do you live in Europe? You might be able to get the Fractal Design Define R4 PCGH edition, it's something to consider. PCGH are some sort of German computer magazine that review parts and all that stuff, but they also have collaborated with some vendors to redesign some nice products. In the case of this case, aside from some change in colouring (all black interior and the front led comes in white or something like that), they have removed the side panel fan opening and the two top fan openings. Less openings is more sound proof of course. On Amazon.de you can buy it for the same price as the regular case so there's no ridiculous price premium to worry about either. However I should point out I went with the normal design for one main reason... There are rumours going up that more and more high end future graphics cards will get stupid watercooling blocks like the 295x, so just to be safe here I want to keep the extra fan slots.

On the same subject, I'm going for the PCGH edition of the Scythe Mugen for the cpu cooler. Instead of coming with a single PWM fan it comes with 2 fans running 800 rpm. It might cool 1-2 degrees less, however it should be even quieter than the already quiet Mugen 4. You can look at a nice comparison table from the guys at hardware.info here. I should note that although it's a great website because they test a great amount of hardware, I do disagree with them on some of their testing methods. For instance they test cpu coolers with a 'cpu simulator' piece of hardware which might not be a complete accurate representation of a real life processor, but then... all coolers they test get the same treatment. And about the rated dB(A) they always measure 10 cm's from the sound source... But then in fairness this is an awful thing in general because some sites do it from 50 cm, others from 1 meter and a third review party might even take 60 cm because as they state that is about how far you'd be from a computer in real life. I digress, at the very least within hardware.info all the sound tests are measured from the same distance so it should give you a pretty solid indicator when looking at parts.

For the video card I've gone with the MSI GTX 970. I actually really wanted to go with a much cheaper card, and an AMD at that. I'm used to Sony Vegas where AMD blows Nvidia out of the water in render times, but because I want to dabble with Davinci resolve and am considering to move/try out either avid or adobe as a NLE I went over my budget and pushed in a much more expensive gtx 970. I figure at the very least it comes kinda close to the amd I wanted and at the best it is simply a fantastic card at a stunning price for the time being. Actually I paid 40 euros more than I could have gotten it for if I bought it a few weeks ago at launch, but that is just unfortunate. All the prices went up and I don't see them going down any time soon so had to bite the bullet on that one. In general a lot of brands try to position them as gamer or good for OC card vendors, and a lot of them do so loudly. Of course the reference coolers themselves are pretty noisy already... Still, a bunch of Gigabyte and sometimes EVGA cards can be relatively quiet, yet I also see some of them benchmarked really loudly. The Asus DirectCU II and MSI TWIN FROZR custom coolers always seem to come out best in the quiet tests. Actually 4-5 years ago the old MSI cooler had some issues but they've since far improved design and I hear so many good things that I really wanted to try out out their brand this time. Of course it's a nice thing that the card runs semi-fanless so I really hope the whole rig can be whisper quiet in idle. It's certainly one improvement over the noisy AMD alternative...

A last note about silent pc's, I really wish silentpcreview.com was still up for it as much as they used to. They really have a focus on the quiet, includic a proper anechoic chamber built specifically for testing, but alas. In the end it is good to remember, it's most important you have a good pc that works for your editing needs!

• 18. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                          Cadillacula Level 1

I've got nothing but time - I'm going to slowly purchase parts as I save up funds - so please keep this thread alive as you see fit.

I used to be AMD all the way until i started with Premiere - I could not get the fastest bestus AMD's to play nicely with Premiere ever - the whole open GL thing just seems very non supported no matter how much I tried, including swapping out to several diff AMD's - finally i tapped out and went cuda/Nvidia and the playback engine definitely "woke up" for me so I've stayed true.

• 19. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                            vanlazarus2013 Level 1

I guess it depends what type of media your feature film was shot on.  I'm editing a feature shot on the Red Epic and the project is currently 8tb in size, so your hard drive options seem undersized to me.  I have 3 4tb WD Black drives in Raid 0 formation, giving me one large fast 10.9tb drive.  Data is backed up to multiple sets of 5tb Seagate drives.  Why choose 1 and 2tb drives when 3 and 4tb drives are readily available?  Or do you only want 10,000 rpm drives?

• 20. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                              Cadillacula Level 1

Hey vanlazarus2013,

Dual answer here... first is definitely speed - but not only the RPM (which is important to me and my experience) but also by their nature its just slower for a standard drive to find information spread across 4tb than 1tb.

Second answer is probably the more poignant -- not shooting anything above RAW HD, and never working on more than one feature at a time. Once a feature is done it is redundantly backed up off site and stored and my drives are cleared off for the next project. My sizing requirements take my specific workflow and media into account. Thanks man.

• 21. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                vanlazarus2013 Level 1

I thought two drives in RAID 0 outperform one 10,000rpm drive, certainly in transfer times if not seek times.  Plus you get more storage for less price.

I found this from one guy on a thread discussing RAID 0 vs 10,000rpm:

I have found that RAID-0 of 2 newer high density 7,200 RPM drives makes for a much faster and smoother computing experience than a single 10,000 RPM drive. Now if you RAID some 10,000 RPM drives, they will kick the pants off a RAID of 7,200 RPM drives, but RAID-0 of 7,200 RPM drives is certainly better than a single 10,000 RPM drive.

But it may be that this guys findings are not true when it comes to video editing.

• 22. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                  Cadillacula Level 1

Ah I thought you meant apples to apples -- a single 1TB drive vs a single 4TB drive.

I don't do RAID anymore. I got burnt twice in a row and ended shelling thousands out to a forensics lab to get 1/4 of my data back. Bad scene. No longer worth the bump in speed to me. A battle-scarred personal choice.

My main point is probably best wrapped up in my second answer though. I know just the amount of space I need to stay lean and mean with my projects - so I save my 4TB drives for external archiving vs actual system.

• 23. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                    Cadillacula Level 1

Getting very close on completing my build -- full specs, along with questions and concerns to follow shortly.

BTW... when buying the ram... and especially the processor... I got the distinct feeling the vendors thought I was from another planet. It was also clear I was cleaning out their entire inventory of said items... buy purchasing one of each... because they don't keep things like this in stock for normal humans.

All of this to say I am very excited.

• 24. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                      vanlazarus2013 Level 1

I recently upgraded my CPU from i7 3770k to i7 5960X with Asus Deluxe X99 motherboard and 32gb Corsair Vengence RAM.  This is easily the best and more satisfying edit machine I've ever used.  Premiere handles my Red projects very nicely.  Eventhough I don't have a top end GPU (NVidia 770GTX), it still rocks debayering Red footage.  I can preview my timeline in realtime at 1/2 debayer quality on 6k video.

So I think you're going to like your new system.

• 25. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                        Cadillacula Level 1

Awesome on you. My fingers are crossed.

Hey question... (maybe a separate post but for now...)I think i wanna bump up to triple monitors... ever had any experience in that area? I've been running dual forever but I could see dedicated panels for timeline, scopes and monitor. Does triple monitors affect performance or rendering in the case of NLE? (taking the aforementioned Pooter Beast into account of course)

• 26. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                          Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is my 4 monitor setup run from a single 660ti with the Plasma and sdi scopes run from a BlackMagic decklink. I have noticed no drop in performance going from my original 2 monitor setup to 4.

_DSC0772.jpg

• 27. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...

Each display you add to the primary video card will use more Vram and system ram. However as long as you have a higher end card the usage is negligible when compared to GPU acceleration.

Eric

ADK

• 29. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                              Cadillacula Level 1

OK then I should be good to go based on my proposed tech specs. Thanks.

The last piece (sans me figuring out a monitor setup) is the processor. When I first ordered the Intel i7 Haswell Extreme CPU they made me feel like I was the first purchaser... ever... and that they'd have to break into Area 51 to retrieve it. When it arrived it wouldn't pin into the board and then we realized it was the right box, wrong processor. Rather sketchy. So this has been our biggest speed bump to date - which i am grateful for - knock on formica.

I'll keep-a-ya-posted.

• 30. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                                vanlazarus2013 Level 1

I've been using 3 monitors since I bought an Asus 4k monitor for previews last year (connected via DisplayPort to get 60hz at 4kHD).  I have a 770GTX GPU with 4gb VRAM and I've had no issues or performance decrease with using 3 monitors.

• 31. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                                  Cadillacula Level 1

OK finally got everything in and together and fired it up and... oh no...

The Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Processor Extreme Edition does not come with a fan. Of course, everybody knows that, jeez (ugh).

Now that was a scary error message to see for the first time powering up.

Back to the money pit, er, drawing board.

• 32. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                                    jasonvp Level 3

Cadillacula wrote:

The Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Processor Extreme Edition does not come with a fan. Of course, everybody knows that, jeez (ugh).

Oh good grief, I hope you didn't actually power the machine up without a cooler attached to the CPU?  It was stated earlier in this thread (as well as all over the various Intel marketing, etc) that the eXtreme enthusiast processors do not come with OEM cooling because Intel fully expects folks to provide their own, better solution.  How'd you miss that when you opened the box and saw just the CPU with nothing else included?

• 33. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                                      Cadillacula Level 1

>> I hope you didn't actually power the machine up

Oh I most certainly did, fired it right up and got the oddest boot message I've ever seen.. "Hey idiot, I dont have a fan". And then I left a little bit of my skin on its surface when I decided to touch it. And... I was sober.

>> How'd you miss that when you opened the box

Well that's easy you see... because I have never seen a processor like this in my life. It's not of this Earth. I assumed it not only had some sort of cooling system within its formidable girth, but that it was also accelerating particles for Fermilab on the side.

And now you should see the fan I purchased... I am not sure the case will even close... it looks like something a female character from the 1960's would have her hair under while reading about our moonlanding in Time magazine. Dude it has blinkenlights... the fan.

I will be updating my list when we're done with a detailed "AS BUILT" spec sheet.

197 Windows updates to go!

• 34. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                                        Cadillacula Level 1

OK only a year or two too late....

Here is my final build... please meet DINOSORCERESS:

CAM00179.jpg

Monitors (x3)

Dell Ultrasharp U2415

Case

Fractal Design Define R4

Power-Supply

Corsair AX760

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Processor Extreme Edition

Memory / RAM

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666

Motherboard

ASUS X99-Deluxe

Video Card

ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5 GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5

Hard Drive #1 - OS, PROGRAMS  -- C: SSD - 240 GB

Hard Drive #2 - MEDIA, PROJECTS -- D: SSD - 1 TB

Hard Drive #3 - MEDIA CACHE -- E: SSD - 240 GB

Hard Drive #4 - PREVIEWS, EXPORTS -- F: SSD - 1 TB

and here is the kind of stuff I am producing with it: https://youtu.be/cpgw3oipdRI

===

And here is the kicker... but not the shocker...

Adobe Premiere Pro v9.2, ZigZag is giving me choppy playback.

Besides that sour, starting to think inescapable note, everything on this build sings like a f*cking bird.

Kept the old version of Premiere on the machine this one replaced so I could actually edit footage.

• 35. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...

Have you done any tuning?

What is the CPU clock frequency when under load, and what are the core temps?

• 36. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                                            Cadillacula Level 1

No.

I have CPU-Z installed but no information seems to change dynamically as I am working and I see no display for temperature.

• 37. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                                              1. What is the CPU clock frequency?
                                                                              2. Download CoreTemp and see what they are running.when you have some good CPU load
                                                                              3. Have you gone into Premiere Edit/Preferences/Memory and set it for Performance?
                                                                              4. Have you turned off Indexing on all you drives?
                                                                              5. How many processes do you have running with no applications running?
                                                                              6. You have quite an array of SSD's but there is no model information so we cannot tell the real speed.

I have an X99 with the i7-5960X and a SATA III Samsung 840 Pro (today it would be a SATA III 850 Pro) for OS/Applications and then only a 512 GB PCIe M.2 Samsung 950 Pro plugged into the motherboard M.2 socket for all the Premiere project assets and files.  It smoothly handles any media I throw at it.

Here are a very recent set of five Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) scores.

"24","65","21","266", Premiere Version:, 9.2.0.41   GTX 970 x8    
                                                                              "25","62","21","266", Premiere Version:, 9.2.0.41   GTX 970 x8    
                                                                              "24","64","21","266", Premiere Version:, 9.2.0.41   GTX 970 x8    
                                                                              "24","64","21","266", Premiere Version:, 9.2.0.41   GTX 970 x8    
                                                                              "24","68","22","266", Premiere Version:, 9.2.0.41   GTX 970 x8    

Why don't you run the benchmark on your system and let us see what your scores are?

• 38. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...
                                                                                Cadillacula Level 1

1. 2804 MHz

2. 44 degrees on the high end of things

3. Yes

4. No. Yes now. Restarted, no effect.

5. 110. CPU usage was at 0% while I was looking at them.

6. Thanks. No need, they are SSD's. Blindingly faster than anything I've ever had, but more importantly much much faster than the 10,000 RPM raptors in my old machine that basically struggled with Premiere Pro in the same fashion.

So I take it no one has run a benchmark on a 980 yet? Seems extremely overwhelming to me at the moment, apologies.

Hey, I appreciate the help, but its definitely something between the software side of things and possibly how I have the hardware set-up, but I'm growing more doubtful of the latter. My builds specs and the 4 separated drives should crush this software, and there are just always issues. I'm seriously in the market for a BM URSA Mini, I suppose if I pull that trigger I'll be forced to poke at DaVinci a bit. Sorry, just feeling a little bitter as of late.

(For the record I have a simple project/adobe approved effect-set that will choke your machine as well. It shouldn't but it will. PM me on that specific point if interested.)

• 39. Re: Dream build for Premiere Pro CC 2014 feature film editing...

At 2804 MHz with a load there is something drastically wrong with your setup.  The base clock of the i7-5906x is 3000 MHz and it should automatically turbo up to 3500 MHz. My i7-5960X is running at 4500 MHz.  Your extremely low high temp under load is another indicator that you are not setup properly

Open your Task Manager (Clt-Alt-Del) and see how many Processes are running.

Not all SSD's are good SSD's.

Those PPBM scores were with my machine and I do not own a GTX 980 (and my GTX970 is slightly crippled do to my mishandling where it is only running at x8 instead of x16).  Dozens of people have submitted scores with GTX 980's and even with GTX 980 Ti's.  The GPU's only affect the second and third numbers.  What I would like to see is all four numbers from your running the test, and very specifically from the last number which is strictly CPU dependent.

P.S. It is not proper forum etiquette to give yourself credit for solving your problem when you have not found a solution

1 2 Previous Next