4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 8:07 PM by mrd777

Thoughts before I pull the trigger and buy this computer build?

mrd777

Hi guys,

Before I pull the trigger, I would like some thoughts on this build. I'm going to get a few SSD drives on top of this list, but I am not listing them here, as I'm just trying to show the main components I'm after. Using for Adobe and Blender 3D (movie editing rig, vfx, etc...)

$150 COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel Computer Case

$70 Noctua NH-U14S 140x150x25 ( NF-A15 PWM) SSO2-Bearing ( Self-stabilising oil-presure bearing ) CPU Cooler Item #:N82E16835608041

$660 G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4-22400) Desktop Memory

$140 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

$390 Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 Desktop Processor

$200 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 220-P2-1000-XR 1000W Power Supply

$285 ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer ATX Intel Motherboard

$700 for two GTX 970 video cards

1) Is anything overkill?

2) Is anything underkill?

3) Any incompatible things I've researched?

4) Anything I've missed?

5) 32gb 2800mhz ram is about the same as 16gb 3200mhz ram, what to pick?

Thanks!

Mr D

• 1. Re: Thoughts before I pull the trigger and buy this computer build?
          TimvandenOever

The 5820k only supports 28 pci express lanes, so you could only run sli in 16x and 8x (depending on motherboards). However those two cards are very overkill for your system.

Definitely pick the 32 GBs of ram over 16.

Storage? Raid, hdds and ssds?

• 2. Re: Thoughts before I pull the trigger and buy this computer build?
            JEShort01 Level 4

1) Is anything overkill? yes, get a single GTX 980 instead of the dual 970's

2) Is anything underkill? yes, go with a 6 or 8-core for a Premiere Pro x99 build; if that is too expensive, get a earlier gen x79 6-core with much less $$$ DDR3 memory

3) Any incompatible things I've researched? nope, you're good there
            4) Anything I've missed? DVD or Blu-ray burner?

5) 32gb 2800mhz ram is about the same as 16gb 3200mhz ram, what to pick? Definitely go with 32GB; this will help lots more than speed

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: Thoughts before I pull the trigger and buy this computer build?
              mrd777 Level 1

The 5820k only supports 28 pci express lanes, so you could only run sli in 16x and 8x (depending on motherboards). However those two cards are very overkill for your system.

Definitely pick the 32 GBs of ram over 16.

Storage? Raid, hdds and ssds?

I don't plan to run SLI. I plan to use the 2 cards for 3d work(rendering). I am told by the Blender(3d program) forums, that the program uses multiple cards, in non SLI. So the processor, should be fine then yeah? I don't want to get too expensive on the processor, because from what I know, most of the stuff I'm doing is relying on gpu?

Storage, I have SSDs planned to use. With my budget, I will probably have 1 ssd for OS, 1 ssd for programs, 1 ssd for project files. Then I will have HDD for backup.

• 4. Re: Thoughts before I pull the trigger and buy this computer build?
                mrd777 Level 1

1) Is anything overkill? yes, get a single GTX 980 instead of the dual 970's

See my above reply. Let me know if you think i'm still in "overkill", seeing what I've been told on Blender forums are contrary.

2) Is anything underkill? yes, go with a 6 or 8-core for a Premiere Pro x99 build; if that is too expensive, get a earlier gen x79 6-core with much less $$$ DDR3 memory

The processor is a 6 core, is it not? Did I show you the wrong one? Let me know!

3) Any incompatible things I've researched? nope, you're good there
                4) Anything I've missed? DVD or Blu-ray burner?

I have a Blu ray drive already.

5) 32gb 2800mhz ram is about the same as 16gb 3200mhz ram, what to pick? Definitely go with 32GB; this will help lots more than speed

Sounds good!

Thanks!