• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set "build version" on IOS app use AIR?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to set "build version" on IOS app use AIR?

not <versionNumber>....

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would very much like to know this too.  I cannot replace a binary that's "waiting for review".  If I change the version number, I have to remove my application and create a new one (thus putting me at the "end of the line").  If you want to select a different binary, you can do this without losing your place in line.  However, the "build" number must be different.

Hopefully there's an easy solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way things work has changed. Previously you could reject a binary and upload a replacement with the same version number. Now you can't. You use Application Loader to upload a new binary, that must have a later build number. Once it's uploaded you then need to go to the current build in iTunesConnect and click the minus button to remove that version. After that you can then pick from the binaries you have uploaded, and can choose the later one.

Your position in the queue will most likely get reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, yes. Doing what you say, puts you at the end of the line.  But it's possible to, while "waiting for review" to update a new binary--SAME version but different build.  That is, the "bundle short version string" is the version number, where if only the "bundle version string" is changed Application Loader WILL let you have two binaries with the same version.  Then you just select a different one--and this should not upset your place in line.

Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug created, please vote fort this so it might get fixed.  Feature#3944256 - Separate iOS Build and Version numbers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2015 May 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

We recently made this enhancement as part of our AIR 18 beta release, please try out the AIR SDK from http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashruntimes/air/

Release notes are available @ http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/shared/air18_flashplayer18_releasenot es.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed AIR 18.0 beta, compiled with 4.14.1 SDK using this in my app xml:

<versionNumber>2.0.8</versionNumber>

<versionLabel>v1</versionLabel>

But, my app is showing up in TestFlight as "My App Name 2.0.8 (2.0.8)"

Shouldn't it be "My App Name v1 (2.0.8)" ??  If I look at Build Details in iTunes Connect for this Pre-Release build, it has "Bundle Short Version String" and "Bundle Version String" both as "2.0.8". 

Did 18.0 Air really fix this?  Seems like it's still submitting without a version label.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very odd how it's implemented and there's definitely something inaccurate in the comments for the app.xml file.  Anyway, here's the way I made it work:

If you don't define a value for <versionLabel> then the provided value for versionNumber will be used in both places (in what Apple calls the version as well as the build).

If you do provide a value for <versionLabel>...
a) make sure you follow the numbering rules
b) make sure your version NUMBER is higher than versionLabel
c) realize that your versionLabel becomes what Apple calls version and your versionNumber is what they call a build.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip,

The versionNumber is not required to be higher than the versionLabel. Your application version should just be higher than the previous version for the update to work.

Please let us know if you see any discrepancy here.

Thanks,

Krati

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay but it doesn't make sense to have a lower number. 

The issue I have with the new implementation is that there's no way to set your "build" to anything except the form XXX.XXX.XXX.  That is, it's impossible (as far as I know) to have this:
My app
version 1.0.1 (beta1)

where the (Apple) version is "1.0.1" and the build is "beta1".

IDEALLY, when both <versionNumber> and <versionLabel> are used,  the compiler should not object to arbitrary strings in the <versionNumber> node as that is what gets used for "build"... and "builds" are not required to follow that form (xxx.xxx.xxx).

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an Apple guideline to keep version and build numbers in xxx.xxx.xxx format

Please refer CFBundleShortVersionString and CFBundleVersion in Core Foundation Keys

Thanks,

Krati

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David

For iOS applications versionLabel should be a string comprised of three dot separated integers failing which it will default to the previous behavior and picking up versionNumber for both.

This should be the reason that you are seeing 2.0.8(2.0.8)

Note that you should have also received a warning while packaging "Warning: Invalid format specified in <versionLabel> tag. Ignoring its value."

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Krati

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines