1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2016 9:20 AM by Warunicorn

Updates for Camera Raw for D750

TracieLouise22 Level 1

I bought a Nikon D750 a week or two ago and found out that Camera Raw didn't support this model.  The very next morning there was an update available and now CR actually recognises my camera but still won't recognise RAW files, only .jpg.  Is this the case for everyone or just me, as I did experience an error message when I installed the update?

• 1. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
          Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Hi TracieLouise22,

Please install Camera Raw 8.7 camera raw. This release of Camera Raw 8.7 for CC is prerelease software and is designed for evaluation purposes only. The software contained within the installer is not final; but, many portions of the technology are fully implemented and ready for you to try and discuss.

Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 8.7 CC Release Candidate | digital camera raw file support - Adobe Labs

Thanks,

Sandeep

• 2. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You’ll need ACR 8.7 to recognize D750 raw files.

The only place you can get this version, so far is Adobe Labs, and it’s a public beta version, so doesn’t update via the normal updates mechanism, you have to do it by hand:

http://labs.adobe.com/

• 3. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
              TracieLouise22 Level 1

I found it.  I am on CS6, not CC, but I found the link... thanks so much.

• 4. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                L3791 Level 1

i couldn't find it. i have the same problem so if anybody knows where i can download it, i'd appreciate it.

thank you

• 5. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

The current version of ACR, 8.7.1, is available on this page:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

ACR 8.x is only compatible OSX 10.7 and newer, and Windows 7 and newer, and only works with CS6, CC or CC 2014.

• 6. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                    L3791 Level 1

thank you for your reply. i guess it won't work for me. i have cs3 and run yosemite.

• 7. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

I’d suggest getting Lightroom which is relatively cheap compared to Photoshop and can do all the raw processing but you can still open TIF or PSD copies of the LR-adjusted photos in your older PS for PS-type adjustments. 

You can also use the DNG Converter 8.7.1 to create DNGs from the raw files and MAYBE those will open in ACR 4.x if that old of a version is compatible with DNGs.  I don’t remember. 

You can get the DNG Converter from the Adobe Updates page:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

• 8. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                        L3791 Level 1

DNG converter didn't work for some reason. i know i could buy Lightroom, but i'm a bit upset that i can't make this work without buying anything. having been an adobe customer for about 15 years it's really disappointing to see that they don't offer a solution for an old product/software, only a new product that costs money.

• 9. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                          L3791 Level 1

sorry, forgot to say thank you for your kind reply.

• 10. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

Adobe does want to get paid for their work, and any revenue they made from CS3 has long since been spent. 

A somewhat applicable analogy for expecting free updates forever is like going to a buffet, paying once, eating all you want, then coming back with your receipt and expecting to get free refills on your drink even though you never spend any more money for a meal.   Sure a drink costs less than a full meal, but it does cost something so you shouldn’t expect to get it for free forever after paying only once.

Not getting paid is why they invented the cloud pricing model.

• 11. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                              L3791 Level 1

i see it rather this way: i pay for a buffet and want a drink only but they want me to charge me for a full meal again. i wouldn't even mind paying something little for ACR but it's not fair to be buying everything. i know they want us to buy the new version. i don't mind paying anybody for their work, not even adobe but i don't like to be ripped off every six months or so. i simply don't need new version of any program except for ACR.

cs3 was not cheap but i feel like i always HAVE TO spend more money, not because "I" need a program but because adobe decided to make more money with a new program, rather than support/update an old one.

I'm looking forward for a good competitor. it's just a matter of time.

• 12. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

What you’re seemingly wanting is for the maintenance and compatibility updates to continue for older versions of software without the functionality upgrades, and be able to get them for free or at a reduced cost, as if the rearchitecting and coding to keep up-to-date with various OSes and cameras is somehow trivial while the coding for new functionality is difficult and worth paying for.

We’re up to Photoshop version 15.2.2 so what your line of reasoning implies is that for every version of PS since 1.0, there should be a viable installer available on Adobe’s website, which works with every operating system and every computing platform and every camera since the beginning, regardless if those platforms are still supported by their manufacturers, and includes every bugfix as well, just so people can choose which combination of old and new components they want to use in their photographic or graphic-design workflow and minimize their payments to Adobe.

From Adobe’s perspective, they are wanting to be efficient and provide value to their stock holders, and as such, there would be minimal priority giving to maintaining multiple development tracks for each version/OS/platform combination, which could be dozens, each with additional developer and testing and deployment resources, just to provide a benefit to those who don’t want to pay the comparatively cheap upgrade price every 18-months with Adobe only maintaining one version, on two platforms, with a single minimum OS version on each—so two development/testing/deployment tracks not dozens.

Sadly, if you had actually paid the +/- $200 upgrade price three times over the last 5-7 years for PS CS4, CS5 & CS6 you’d be home free.

There are other free raw converters that are slower and may have less quality, where RawTherapee is one:  www.rawtherapee.com <http://www.rawtherapee.com>

From Adobe, Lightroom is reasonable choice for up-to-date raw processing without paying for a full version Photoshop, while the Photography Plan for $10/month is the most value if you want both LR and PS to be up-to-date. 

Both the standalone LR 5 and the PS+LR Photography Plan for $10/month-with-annual-commitment can be found, here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software.html

Though the version of standalone LR 5 software to download is the latest LR 5.7.1 version, from here, so you don’t waste dime downloading LR 5.2 and then immediately having to download and update to LR 5.7.1:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates.html

• 13. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

L3791 wrote:

DNG converter didn't work for some reason. i know i could buy Lightroom, but i'm a bit upset that i can't make this work without buying anything. having been an adobe customer for about 15 years it's really disappointing to see that they don't offer a solution for an old product/software, only a new product that costs money.

What problem did you encounter when you tried to use the DNG converter?

• 14. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                    L3791 Level 1

I got a message: "The source folder does not contain any supported camera raw files." my source was the memory card with pictures. in preferences, i selected 4.6 Camera raw (i'm running cs3).

• 15. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

Are you saying you got this error when using the DNG Converter 8.7(.1) when trying to convert the raw files to DNGs from your memory card?

If so, then the issue is likely that when you select the source folder 100NIKON (or whatever it is called) you should merely single-click on the folder name, rather than double-click to open the folder.  This is because you're selecting a folder not individual image files.  I shouldn't matter whether the input folder is the camera memory card or a place you've copied everything to on the hard-drive, the rule about single-clicking on the folder name to select it is the same.

• 16. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                        L3791 Level 1

ssprengel, that worked!!! i must've double-clicked when i first tried. thank you so much.

• 17. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                          Bruce Stenman Level 1

In the past 10 plus years when Adobe would release a new version of ACR and stated which cameras it supported I could count on it being accurate. With the Nikon D750 camera the ACR 8.7.1 does not work with CS6 and generates an error message that it cannot open the file. The last thing I want is to downgrade my RAW files to DNG files. There is data in the RAW files that is lost with the conversion to DNG format.

If Adobe is using the ACR as a pretext to force people to go to their online subscription service for Photoshop then it is time for me to start migrating my company's projects to other application software.

• 18. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

The D750 was added in Camera Raw 8.7. Are you certain you have updated Camera Raw? Also, did you happen to use Nikon software to download the images? The Nikon software (at least certain versions) do something to the images that make them not readable with Adobe software. Adobe is not forcing you to do anything.

1 person found this helpful
                                            • 19. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                              jwall396 Level 1

I purchased a D750 last month and have downloaded the Camera Raw 8.7.1 update, as well as the DNG Converter 8.7.1. I have Lightroom 5, Photoshop Elements 13, and Photoshop CS5 - none of them will recognize the Nikon D750 NEF file. I downloaded it to my iMac using Nikon Transfer. Are you saying that I cannot use Nikon's download programs to download these files? If not, then how can I download them? I rename all of my files as I download from the memory card. Thanks for any tips and tricks you may have!

• 20. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

Nikon Transfer is probably the culprit. Older versions in particular have a way of doing something to the images that makes them not readable by Adobe products. There is a utility that is supposed to repair these images that have been damaged by Nikon Transfer.

Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

• 21. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                                  jwall396 Level 1

Thanks for the response! I just downloaded the latest version of Nikon Transfer and it seems to have resolved the problem. I’m so glad I found your comments on the forum! I’d been searching for a “fix” via a Lightroom plug in for several hours!

Jennifer Wall

jenniferwall@mac.com

• 22. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

I'm glad to hear you are finding a resolution for your problem. There really is no compelling reason to use Nikon Transfer to download your images. It doesn't do anything special to the images. I would strongly recommend that you use Bridge to do your downloading. It works very smoothly, and doesn't cause the problems that Nikon Transfer does. I don't know if you use Lightroom, but it has a very good import facility as well. If you don't want to use Bridge or Lightroom, you can safely download just using your system browser (Windows Explorer or Finder, depending on your OS).

• 23. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                                      jwall396 Level 1

I’ve been using Nikon Transfer because it offers a simple way to rename my images as I download them. Does Bridge or Lightroom offer that came capability during the download process? If so, I might give it a try. I’m on a new iMac.

Jennifer Wall

jenniferwall@mac.com

• 24. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

There are renaming options in both Bridge and Lightroom. If you really want to continue using Nikon Transfer then you are going to have to use that repair utility on every image that you download from your camera.

• 25. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                                          jwall396 Level 1

i’m actually just in the “testing phases” as I’m a Lightroom newbie. I’ll experiment with Lightroom to see how that works. It will actually save me an extra step if I can set it up to do what Nikon Transfer does.

Hey, thanks so much again for the help - I really appreciate the info!

Jennifer Wall

jenniferwall@mac.com

• 26. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                                            helenp70976646 Level 1

Hi, I am using Lightroom 5.7 and Photoshop CS6. I cannot open my RAW files from Lightroom into Photoshop even though I have downloaded the DNG converter 8.7. I have a Mac and have just upgraded to Ox X El Capitan. Once this converter has been installed, is the process automatic? I had no trouble opening my RAW files from my D700 in Photoshop although I also got a message that I needed to download some program, I ignored the message and it always opened. Now, I have to export my RAW images as JPGs and then open then in Photoshop. I don't use Nikon transfer, I use the finder to copy images onto my external disc and then I import images into Lightroom. I do still need to edit images in Photoshop sometimes and would prefer to keep them in RAW. Thanks for your help.

• 27. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                                              Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

The D700 had support all the way back to Camera Raw version 4.6 and Lightroom 2.1. There should be no need to use the DNG Converter in your case. Photoshop CS6 uses Camera Raw to open supported RAWs. If you go to Help > About Plug-In > Camera Raw on the menu bar, what version does it say it is? Go to Help > Updates to update Photoshop.

Referring to the DNG Converter itself, no, it's not automatic; you'd have to convert your RAWs to DNGs first by pointing it to a folder containing the RAWs. But again, you would have no need for it if all you wanted to do is open and edit your RAWs.

• 28. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

As I replied over on your post in the Feedback forum, you need to upgrade your ACR plug-in for Photoshop to ACR 9.1.1.  This latest upgrade for CS6 can be found, here:

Keeping Photoshop Up-To-Date

One thing that is confusing about what you're posted, is that both here and on the feedback thread you've added to a much earlier discussion about the D750, but the only camera you mention is the D700.  My assumption is that you've recently upgraded to the D750 from the D700 and that's what is different that makes PS not work; however, you also mention that you've just upgraded to El Capitan, which could be what is different, now.  It would be helpful to know what precise camera model you're currently using that isn't working with PS, but as Warunicorn said, above, your LR is new enough for D700 and I said over on the other discussion LR is also new enough for the D750.  I also concur with Warunicorn that the DNG Converter isn't going to be needed in this situation so concentrate on getting your Camera Raw (ACR) plug-in for PS updated.

• 29. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                                                  donaj99847934 Level 1

Hello, I am just finding out that I have this problem with my camera raw, I have downloaded all the updated plugins and still can't get it to work....which is the exact Adobe reader do I need to download? Confused which one I need and don't want to download the wrong one...I have photoshop cs5 windows....hope you can help....Dona

• 30. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

You need ACR 8.7 or newer to work with NEFs from the D750.  CS5 can only host ACR 6.x so you cannot update it to work with the D750.  Basically your software was obsolete at the point the camera-raw plug-in was updated for the D750.

Your choices are to buy CS6 by calling an 800 number where they’ll try to get you to sign up for the CC subscription:  http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6.html

Or buy the CC Photography Plan subscription including both Ligthtroom and Photoshop CC for $120/year billed at $10/month (US).

Or use the free DNG Converter to create DNGs from your NEFs that’ll work in your older software:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

You have a new camera and need new software.

• 31. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

Adding to what ssprengel said, if you opt for Photoshop CC and if you live in the USA, your local Best Buy should sell annual pre-paid Creative Cloud cards if you don't want to pay monthly or don't want to use your credit card. (I think Amazon.com sells them too; don't quote me on that.)

Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan (1-User) (1-Year Subscription) - Windows|Mac|iOS - Best Buy

• 32. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                                                        lum57430449 Level 1

Hi! I have the CC subscription and still can get LR to upload my .NEF files... what do I need?

• 33. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

lum57430449 wrote:

Hi! I have the CC subscription and still can get LR to upload my .NEF files... what do I need?

Did you mean, "can't?" Lightroom should be able to read your NEF files provided the camera is supported. (Bleeding-edge models that were just released have to wait a month or two before support gets in there.)

What model camera is your Nikon?

• 34. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                                                            lum57430449 Level 1

Yes I meant "can't" and I have the Nikon D750

• 35. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

What is the exact version of Camera Raw that you have installed on your computer?

• 36. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                                                                jakobm49185001 Level 1

NX2 is the "Culprit"! I transferred my RAW Photos to my Hard drive using this Program, and even with RAW version 9.6 I got the ERROR message...I deleted NX2 from my computer and used Photoshop to transfer my NEF Files and Problem Solved... Thanks a Bunch ssprengel !

• 37. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                                                                  zaggly Level 1

Hello helpful Mr Sprengel. I have just bought a Nikon D750 and taken my first photos. I downloaded to my Mac in CS6 but the files won't convert to dng. I have updated to the DNG converter to 8.7 so if I apply that to the downloaded NEF files it converts them but I would really like it to do the conversion as it is downloading. I checked that i have ticked the 'convert to dng' box in Bridge but it just won't do it. I also can't open the files in Photoshop unless I use the converter on the downloaded files. Any help would be much appreciated. regards

Tess

• 38. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750

The D750 raw files should be natively supported by a newer version of the ACR plug-in for CS6 so no need to use the DNG Converter for anything.  The last version of ACR that you can use with CS6 is ACR 9.1.1.

This latest upgrade for CS6 can be found, here:

Camera Raw installer for Adobe Photoshop CC and CS6

• 39. Re: Updates for Camera Raw for D750
                                                                                      zaggly Level 1

Thanks so much. That worked.

1 2 Previous Next