3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 4:09 PM by IsakTen

Create a signature when a user runs their logon script.

SMS Group

Hi All,

Is it possible to add a signature by a logon script to a user? I would like to do this as I have over 80 users and going to each individual is becoming a pain. I also don't want them to know there the logos are as they could sign it fraudulently.

When I say logon script, I mean the user runs a script to make their signature. All we need is for it to link to their Microsoft Certificate base and just have the logo that we make.

Please help.

• 1. Re: Create a signature when a user runs their logon script.
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Danger! It sounds as if there is a serious problem with the use of digital signatures in your organisation if you state that "don't want them to know there the logos are as they could sign it fraudulently". This suggests that people are looking at the page to discover about the signature rather than reading the signature tab. This is so very, very wrong, it completely undermines the whole idea of digital signatures, and renders them basically valueless if your users don't verify them properly.

• 2. Re: Create a signature when a user runs their logon script.
            SMS Group Level 1

Well at the moment all the signatures are in 1 drive that everyone can get to and I a trying to change this so that they cant even see them and then they will be in a complete hidden drive that only I and co-workers know about. I just need to be able for the User profile to make a signature when they log in via their logon scripts.

Please can you answer the question, I realise that there is a MASSIVE issue with the way it is done, but like I say I am trying to change that.

• 3. Re: Create a signature when a user runs their logon script.
              IsakTen Level 4

Signatures cannot be on a drive. They are not dissociated from documents. Signatures reside inside signed PDFs. You probably confuse signature appearances with digital signatures. Signature appearances do reside on a hard drive.

I can create my signature appearance that says (in the image on the page) that I am Bill Clinton. But if you open the signature panel and inspect signer's certificate you can see who the actual signer is (unless it is a self-signed certificate in which case the signer's identity is unknown). I believe that your problem is more related to misunderstanding how digital signatures work than being a real problem at all.

Or maybe you are not using digital signatures at all and are using electronic signatures which are just stamps (or images) and you are concerned that someone can access a stamp (image) that belongs to another person and fraudulently sign with this other person's stamp (image). Well, if this is the case then only person who owns a stamp/image must have access to it. You cannot place all stamps/images for all people in one location. You need to place each in a protected location to which only this person has access (like password-protected folder). This is what signature services like EchoSign do.

This is why I like digital signatures so much better. If you procure signer's certificate from a reputable Certificate Authority all these problems (besides signature appearance) just do not exist.