21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2014 10:44 PM by Don Knobi

Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142

Don Knobi

For the second time I can not open my last project with the advice: "Premiere Elements has encountered an error" --> [c:\pre12\mediacore\mediafoundation\api\inc\Keyframe/Keyframe.h-142]. All files are not more available

• 1. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Don Knobi

Please remind us what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 12 is running on. Did you get a chance to update 12 to the 12.1 Update yet? If not, please do so when you can.

Although you cannot open your saved closed project, can you still open a new project?

Please review the following Adobe document which presents troubleshooting specific to your error message, and then let us know if that worked for you.

Keyframe.h-142 error | Opening projects

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
            Don Knobi Level 1

Hi A.T. Romano

Thank you for your answer. My computer operating system is Windows 8.1 with 64 bit and I´m usion PREL 12.1.

By downloading perl and renaming my last project I could open it. Before I´ve got an error advice (missing a rendered file) which I aborted. But the opening went all right. After that I saved the file. The I would open the file again and got the same error-code for keyframe 142. So I rereated the process. After opening the project I rendered the project and saved it. Now I can open the file and can continue with my work.

But my great question is: Can it happen again???? What is the right way to avoid these errors? I have already lost much hours in this project.

Thanks for your answer.

Tobias

• 3. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Don Knobi

Thanks for the reply. Great job moving forward with your project.

I do not have a ready answer for the why, and I do not know if there is one.

I have seen one or two suggest fades used in the project as being related to the problem of the keyframe.h-142 error. How?

There are more possible workarounds and "fixes" than are known consistent causes of the problem. This does not happen

only in Premiere Elements 12/12.1.

Have you read the following

Re: Elements 10 Error: d:\pre\mediacore\mediafoundation\api\inc\Keyframe/Keyframe.h-142

ATR

• 4. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                Don Knobi Level 1

Thank you for the answer, which I did not completely understand however. For me came out thereby: The error is already since longer admits (Prel.>8) and there is not an answer to the cause. Correctly? The employment with Perl folded, but I did not understand the entry commands. (Perl - p - e etc.) did I have to enter all this in such a way? I had problems with the translation.

Kind regards, Tobias

• 5. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                  Don Knobi Level 1

Hello A.T. Romano.

I am with the nerves in the end. I cannot open my project any longer. I do not cope also with Perl. 

I´ve tried to understand the followig explanation, but I cannot translate it into action:

perl -p -e "s/([-0-9]+?),([0-9]{12,24})/$1.$2/g" damaged.prel >newfile.prel

Replace damaged.prel with the path of the prel file that you are trying to open. For example, you are trying to open picnic.prel saved to the Picnic folder of your computer's C drive. The path in this case is C:\Picinic\picnic.prel.
                  Replace newfile.prel with the path where you want the new file created. For example, if you want to create the file in the same location, use C:\Picinic\picnic1.prel. You rename the file to avoid conflict arising due to similar filenames in the same folder.

Using the above example, the command is:
                  perl -p -e "s/([-0-9]+?),([0-9]{12,24})/$1.$2/g" C:\Picnic\picnic.prel >C:\Picnic\picnic1.prel

What do I have to enter where? Do I have to only start Perl?

I do not know how. Also I do not understand a renaming. My file name is EO-G-Leiter.

Would you be so kind to write me down what I have to do?

Please help me. I do not know how to proceed.

Kind regards

Tobias

• 6. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                    Don Knobi Level 1

Hi A.T.Romano,

could it be a solution to delete the program Premiere Elements and reinstall it again?

Tobias

• 7. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Tobias

Thanks your for the follow ups.

I have not worked through the Perl. If necessary, I will dig into the procedure to see if I am interpreting the document any differently than you are.

But, it is worth the try to go for the uninstall reinstall of the program, provided you have the installation files or installation disc and the purchased serial

number. However, I would use the following scenario

1. Uninstall the program using the typical Control Panel route.

2. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of any leftovers from uninstalls and reinstalls.

CCleaner - page2

3. Reinstall the program with the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

For this specific error I suspect that we are going to have to interpret and do the Prel route, but the uninstall/reinstall as described would be a

good idea. I will look at the Prel for you and comment on my interpretation afterward.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Don Knobi

I have been working through the details that you will using 

perl -p -e "s/([-0-9]+?),([0-9]{12,24})/$1.$2/g" damaged.prel >newfile.prel

Replace damaged.prel with the path of the prel file that you are trying to open. For example, you are trying to open picnic.prel saved to the Picnic folder of your computer's C drive. The path in this case is C:\Picinic\picnic.prel.
                        Replace newfile.prel with the path where you want the new file created. For example, if you want to create the file in the same location, use C:\Picinic\picnic1.prel. You rename the file to avoid conflict arising due to similar filenames in the same folder.

Using the above example, the command is:
                        perl -p -e "s/([-0-9]+?),([0-9]{12,24})/$1.$2/g" C:\Picnic\picnic.prel >C:\Picnic\picnic1.prel

And, I think I know what needs to be done. I do not have a project.prel file with that error message, but I am going to give this a try from start to finish.

Please give me the following information...

a. At this point where is the save close file which has the error...what drive letter, what folder name, what file name? In other words, what is the path to the file with the error?

b. Do you want the corrected file to go back to the same place as the problem one? Probably best if we do that.

With that information, I will fill in a step by step if I get it to work.

ATR

• 9. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                          Don Knobi Level 1

Hello ATR,

thank you for your answer and the troubleshooting.

In the meantime I have made a hard cut: Deleting all premiere elements from the computer and reinstalling the program.

After repeating all my operations I can say: now it works, but I don´t know how long. I hope the mistake is canceled for the future.

At last I have another question:

How can I change the loudness in my own background music in the disc menue with the push buttons? The musik (30 sec.) ist not visible in the cutting area.

Kind regards

Tobias

• 10. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Great news that the keyframe 142 error was gone after the program uninstall reinstall.

Please let us know if the problem reappears. Hope not.

There is no way to lower the background music in the disc menu section of the program.

Before you insert your music into the disc menu section you will need to lower the volume of

the music clip

a. In the free audio editor named Audacity

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

and then use that volume adjusted audio (mp3 or wav) in the disc menu section

or

b. Import your audio into Premiere Elements Editor Expert workspace (Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets), on the Timeline adjust the volume (see Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette), and then export it (Publish+Share/Computer/Audio) to a .mp3 or .wav file saved to the computer hard drive.

When you do this export, remember to scroll down the list of Computer choices there in order to see the Audio choice. For the scrolling use the thin

scroll bar to the right of the choices. Then use this file to insert into the disc menu section of the program.

Any questions or need clarification, please let us know.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                              Don Knobi Level 1

Hello ATR,

I´m not in the mood to work with PREL any longer. For the third time I´ve lost my project. For two days all went well. At last I produced a dvd with my interim developement to see how it looks on the tv. Next day I would open the file again and got the same error advice as bevore. There must be a bug and I have no idea how to handle the problem. I would like to reject and change the programm. If it is not possible to find the mistake I´m always afraid to start a new project. What  could be a solution??
                              Kind regards

Tobias

• 12. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                                ZZZitrone Level 1

The keyframe error also occures in Adobe Premiere. We are specialized to fix such errors. If anyone send me an elements project file, I will check if we can repair it. Please send me an private message.

• 13. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Tobias

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news is not better.

Have you tried the perl method for the keyframe 142 issue?

On paper, it looks easy enough to do. In reality?

I was going to give that a run through, but, when you had success with the uninstall/reinstall, I put that

aside.

Please remind me if this keyframe 142 error has been specific to one Timeline in one project or the exact same

Timeline even in a new project. Are you using many Fade In or Out Video and/or Audio in this Timeline?

ATR

• 14. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ZZZitrone

From what I have understood Tobias has not yet tried the perl approach to resolving the keyframe 142 issue. And, can still do that.

Would your approach to resolving this Premiere Elements issue be any different than the perl approach documented by Adobe (specific for Premiere Elements) that Tobias can do?

Keyframe.h-142 error | Opening projects

Since you say this type of error is of special interest to you, would you comment on what you believe to be the cause(s) of the issue (at the project level) and how to avoid this problem moving forward in future projects?

ATR

• 15. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                                      ZZZitrone Level 1

There are two problems!

1st problem is, that Adobe's file save will not work correctly. If you save a project it will get corrupted.

2nd problem is, that you cannot open corrupted files.

So you have to solve the problem in two steps:

1st: fix your windows setting

2nd: if you need them, fix your project files

For some projects the perl-script will help to fix corrupted project files. For some not. The problem is, that the perl script fixes only a few error types. But there are a few more types the script cannot fix!

So try, if it works for your project. Uninstall and reinstall will not solve the problem, because the project file is damaged, not the installed software.

I descripted the problem and workarounds on our website: Premiere Project Recovery

Please read the both pages "The Problem" and "Workaround".

Try, if this fits to your problem in Adobe Elements.

Andreas

• 16. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas

Thanks for the follow up background based on your Premiere Pro models.

In all that you have said and written about, I wonder why Tobias achieved a temporary resolution to the Premiere Elements keyframe 142 issue with the uninstall/reinstall which would not be expected to repair damaged/corrupted project file?

Your 3rd option of getting professional help (for fee), to resolve this issue may be the only choice in a crisis one time situation. But, if this is a continuing problem, the cost can become prohibitive.

Premiere Elements is not characterized by producing damaged/corrupted project files. I have worked with Premiere Elements Windows from versions 2 to 13 over the past 10 years and have yet to run into a keyframe 142 error. The trigger for the error within the opened project is my focus although in the end there may not be any answer for the why in the script or elsewhere.

ATR

• 17. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                                          ZZZitrone Level 1

I know a lot about the probleme with Premiere.

To learn more about the problem in Elements I tried to get some project files from users having this problem.

Without any file I cannot check if it the same problem as in Premiere or not.

• 18. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                                            Don Knobi Level 1

Hello

I have problems to follow the discussion because by using the translation button I cannot understand what you mean in the detail. The translation is very bad.

My project is located under C:\Users\Tobias\Videos and has the name GSTL neu.

By using perl I entered: C:\Users\Tobias>perl -p -e "s/([-0-9]+?),([0-9]{12,24})/$1.$2/g" GSTL neu.prel >C\Users\Tobias\GSTL neuneu.prel

I have got the errors

"Can´t open neu.prel: No such file or directory."

"Can´t open neuneu.prel: No such file or diectory"

After that I tried the same with the path C:\Users\Tobias\Videos>perl -p -e "s/([-0-9]+?),([0-9]{12,24})/$1.$2/g" GSTL neu.prel >C\Users\Tobias\Videos GSTL neuneu.prel

Error: The system cannot find the path.

What is my mistake? What is the right sytax?

What does Adobe do to clear up this problem with error key 142?

I can find discussions since 2011 Prel version 8.

There are many angry users.

Tobias

• 19. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Don Knobi

Have you seen today's thread from Frank

keyframe problem in my Elements 13.

and PRE_help's offer of an Adobe connect session for Frank?

ATR

• 20. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                                                Frank2605

Hi!

I have the same problem, but with ADOBE Elements 13. Just purchased and installed it Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014. Created my clips with this version and then, after closing, i could not open again.

Did the missing work again. Closed it. Could not open again! Lost quite some hours of work by this.

What i did: i imported a song (.mp3) and used a keyframe to fade it out slowly in the beginning part of my clip.Separated video and audio first and replaced the audio part with the mp3 and created a keyframe to lower volume to zero at the end. I assume its only because of that. After it failed to open again and again I checked the web and thought that the english version is more clean as this is the master version i thought. Then  un-installed the german version and installed the english version.

Same issue. I found an older version I copied away and at least could take up the work from there to not start from the beginning again. Also dont want to test this again as i am  totally.......... and dont have time.

BUT: A.T. Romano picked up this very fast and I thank him a lot. He asked to post sth here which I do.

Found this article which is worth to read: http://www.vibait.com/software/premiere-fix-keyframe.h-142/

Seems as if this is a decimal problem since version 10 and they have created a tool on the above website to fix it.Though, i did not try if this works and give feedback but it seems they have picked this up as this seems to be a problem that more users have.

Key indication and message of them is:

The problem seems to relate to what decimal symbol that is used in Windows. Most likely you live in a country that uses comma (,) as decimal symbol.

Check clip audio volume settings, especially clips where you have used some kind of keyframes (i.e. fade in, face out).

I am using German keyboard and country settings even having the english version installed. I had such problem in other projects (not graphics software like this) where this caused an error and therefore have a good believe, that this can be the decimal setting  I am using comma as separator and this fits into their assumption.

I found other articles of very frustrated users in this community and as they are germans, i could imagine that they have this issues as well like me.2000 users accessed the article until now and seems to be very interesting for a larger community.

Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Error: \pre\api\inc\Keyframe/Keyframe.h-142

Great weekend !! Let me know if you want to see it.

F

• 21. Re: Pre12 Error for Keyframe 142
                                                  Don Knobi Level 1

Hi Frank,

I think I have the same error reason in my projects:

Using an mp3 song imported from itunes in the disc menue with 30 sec. repeating. I think this will be the first step for the solution of the problem. But I have problems to understand what you explain in details. See informations before about the translation. Is it possible to write me in German?

Have a nice weekend

Tobias