29 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 7:34 PM by A.T. Romano

Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos

stillerfan50

I'm having quality issues when I try to import Samsung S5 mp4 videos into Premiere Elements 4.
      But the video plays fine on the phone and when I copy and play it on Windows 7 using iTunes.

But when I upload it from Windows 7 to Premiere Elements, the video is blocky and pixel-ated.

• 1. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
          A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 4 running?

Your problems could be coming from:

Assuming that you are still in the Edit phase of the project....you could be setting the wrong project preset to

match the properties of the source media. So, what are the properties of the source media and what are you setting as the

project preset?

If this Samsung is a cell phone, it is probably using a variable frame rate to record its video. Variable frame rate do not fare

well in Premiere Elements - to the extent of out of sync audio to not being able to import the file at all. A remedy might be

to take the file into HandBrake to create a H.264.mp4 with a constant frame rate instead of a variable one. You can do

a video audio properties readout with MediaInfo (Tree View) to find out what is going on with the frame rate.

AVCHD video compression is not supported by Premiere Elements until version 7. For that reason alone, you may have

to convert your file before import into Premiere Elements. So, the HandBrake convert to H.264.mp4 might take care of

more than one factor at a time.

Even with a HandBrake assist, you are still going to have to set correct import and export settings for your Timeline

content. What is your intended export for this project?

Please fill in the details, and we will work with you to get the job done.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
            stillerfan50 Level 1

Thanks ATR for the quick and detailed response.  I'll answer your questions the best I can.

Yes, I used a Samsung Galaxy S5 to record the video.

I had to google and install MediaInfo and Handbrake.

Here are the results from MediaInfo. It appears to be audio constant frame rate.

fyi.... the audio sounds ok. Its the picture that is "blocky" and "pixel-ated"

I then used Handbrake to convert to H.264.mp4. No luck. In fact it made things worse. Video frames were frozen for a long time.

Here are the settings I used in Handbrake.

Import settings. Let me know if this is what you are looking for

Finally, you asked what is my extended export for this project. After editing, I plan to export it to a DVD.

Thanks again ATR!

• 3. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
              A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

Thanks for the important additional information.

Here is what we need. Check the Samsung Galaxy S5 and determine what your video recording settings are.

It looks like it could be:

2160p30 (which is a 4K resolution 3840 x 2160 @ 30 progressive frames per second)

1080p60 (which is 1920 x 1080@ 60 progressive frames per second)

or

720p120 (which is 1280 x 720@ 120 progressive frames per second)

Which one did you use to record the video?

Your project settings which should match the properties of your source video are way off whatever the case. According to your Project Settings dialog,

you are using NTSC DV Standard which is 720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

That alone could be causing your problems. Once I know your cell phone camera settings, I can suggest the correct Premiere Elements

project preset settings.

But, the above may not be the only problem. The variable frame rate that I need to know about is not in the MediaInfo (Tree View) Audio

settings details. It is in the Video settings details. Here I wanted to know if you have 3 listings for frame rate min., max, and an in between

value. Please check again.

As for HandBrake, the problem there may be related to "Same As Source" for frame rate instead of a value. We need to use a value

there based on what we find out about your frame rate from MediaInfo (Tree View) Video properties.

Let us work on the above and determine if one or all of the above will remedy the situation or if there is more to do.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

ATR

• 4. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                stillerfan50 Level 1

The video recording settings for my Samsung Galaxy S5 are:

Full HD 1920x1080 (16:9)

I couldn't find anything specifically related to "frames per second", but I'm sharing this info if it helps or is related.
                Recording mode: Normal (vs Limit for MMS; Slow motion; Fast motion; Smooth motion)

Metering modes: Matrix (vs Center-weighted; Spot)

• 5. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

To get the full video and audio properties of a video, MediaInfo program (Tree View) is often used for that purpose. Best you download and install the program to see

what it displays for frame rate - one value or 3 (min, max, in between).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

I do not like to cut corners, but, if it becomes necessary, consider...

If you say your have 1920 x 1080 video, based on what I have read of the Samsung Galaxy S5, you are probably recording 1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per

second. So, we are going to proceed making sure your video is 59.94 frames per second (as a constant frame rate) with the assist of HandBrake.

Download, install, open HandBrake

https://handbrake.fr/

HandBrake1.JPG

Top row left

Source/Open File to import your video.

In row below that I typically change Chapters to Seconds.

Destination: Browse to and set save location for your output from the program.

Container = Mp4

Do not do anything in the Picture Tab area, go to the Video Tab area.

HandBrake2.JPG

Under the Video Tab, assure that

Video Codec = H.264 (x264)

Framerate (FPS) = 59.94

Make sure that "Constant Framerate" has a dot in front of it.

Do nothing else under the Video Tab.

Then hit the Start button at the top left of the workspace.

Wait for the "Queue Finished" message to apppear in the progress bar at the bottom left of the workspace.

Import your 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second video into your Premiere Elements 4.

Keep in mind, that Premiere Elements 4 is an older version that does not have a preset for 1920 x 1080 (any frame rate).

It does have a HDV 1080i project preset which is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 which displays after encoding as 1920 x 1080 and

the space in the Premiere Elements 4 Edit area monitor should be a 1920 x 1080 type for your purposes when using this HDV setting.

Let us see if we can get use that

NTSC

HDV

HDV 1080i30

Worse case is if you continue to use the NTSC DV Standard project preset (720 x 480 4:3) which you appear to be using for this project.

Please consider the above and let us know the results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                    stillerfan50 Level 1

Thanks again for patience and continued help.

Here is what MediaInfo revealed.  It looks like its 30fps variable

I then followed your instructions and used HandBrake to convert to 59.94 fps constant.

Your next step indicated to import it into PE4 at 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second video

Its not clear to me how/where to specify these settings.

I went to Edit->Project Settings->General and got the following screen but the fields are not editable

and got the following screen but the only field that is editable is the Display Format field and non of the options include 59.94 progressive fps

• 7. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

I was not aware that your cell phone recorded 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second. From the online specs, it appeared that the only 1920 x 1080 recording is for 60 progressive frames per second. But, if the properties readout is as you posted it, forget about 59.94 or 60 frames per second.

Here is the current plan...

1. Open a Premiere Elements 4 project with the NTSC/HDV/HDV 1080i30 project preset. You do that in the new project dialog that greets you when you open a new project.

Click on "change settings" in the new project dialog and set that project preset.

2. Import your video into the 1080i30 project, render the Timeline content. Is the audio video in sync? If not, then go through the HandBrake process, change

your variable frame rate to a constant one. But, in my instructions, do not use 59.94, use 29.97 instead. The rest of the instructions remains the same.

Please let me know if you are OK with the plan. Any questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...There is not much you can do in Project Settings once the project preset is established in the new project dialog. That Edit Menu/Project Settings/General is best used to see what project preset has been set rather than doing any significant changes in the project settings there.

• 8. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                        stillerfan50 Level 1

Good progress.  We're getting closer.

Importing with project setting NTSC/HDV/HDV 1080i30 partially improved the video.  Now the video is clear (no pixelation/blockiness...if that's the right description), but there is something wrong with the video playback.  It randomly consistently pauses, skipping frames.  As far as I can tell, the audio sounds fine.  No pausing/skipping.

Running it thru Handbrake didn't appear to make any difference.

• 9. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

Thanks for the update.

When you are playing back your video on the Premiere Elements 4 Timeline (Timeline workspace), do you see a red line over its contents?

If so, let us render the Timeline content to get the best possible preview of what you are seeing in the Edit area monitor.

You can do that by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard. When the rendering process is completed, that red line will

turn green.

If that does not help, then let us see what the export looks like in spite of the preview in the edit area. Try the following Premiere Elements 4 export

of your 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second Timeline content

Share/Personal Computer/MPEG with Presets = HD720p30

Under the Advanced Button/Video Tab customized the Export Settings to display as follows to give you your 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

MPEG2.mpg.

4 Render.JPG

This export will probably have a companion file for the MPEG2.mpg video file. The companion file has a file extension of xmp and is

an instruction file. It can be discarded.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                            stillerfan50 Level 1

Good news!

Rendering the video AND re-booting my laptop considerably improvement on the video pausing/skipping.  I also made the handbrake conversion buts its not clear if that resulted any addtional incremental improvements.

Maybe more of a curiosity question at this point, but I tried to follow your export instructions but Preset selection didnt offer a "Custom" selection in the pulldown.  Also I wasn't clear what I'm supposed to learn or do with the exported file.

• 11. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

stukkerfab50

Thanks for the reply and great news.

You wrote

Maybe more of a curiosity question at this point, but I tried to follow your export instructions but Preset selection didnt offer a "Custom" selection in the pulldown

For the export, you go to Share/Personal Computer/MPEG in this case and you see the following

v4-1-1.jpg

And, you set for HD 720p25. At that point, did you see all the choices in the drop down list

for Presets?

After you set Presets = HD 720p, click on the Advanced Button

V4-Advanced.jpg

to see the Export Settings dialog

that I posted in post numbered 9 in your thread.

If you are not seeing these features, double check to make sure that

you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer.

And, please double check the route.

You wrote

Also I wasn't clear what I'm supposed to learn or do with the exported file.

I am not sure what you meant by that. When you import video into Premiere Elements for edit, the only way out for it is to export it.

And, the export format should be one that is compatible with the player that you are going to use to view the export.

Please let us know if you have questions or need clarification on the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                stillerfan50 Level 1

I installed Quicktime 7.7.5 but but same results.

The Preset field still does not provide a "Custom" option in the Preset pull down.  Only HD 720p 25 and HD 720p 30.
                                I believe I've made all the proper selections in the Share screen.

• 13. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfasn50

I think you are doing just fine. But....

Before you click on Advanced Button, the Presets on the right side should be set to HD 720p30. Done.

Now you hit the Advanced Button that I pointed to, and then you click on the Video Tab on in the Export Settings dialog.

Ignore the top part of the Export Settings dialog and focus only on matching my settings in the Video Tab/ Video Codec/Basic Video Settings. In the screenshot

that you showed last, that 1280 720 has yet to be changed by you to 1920 x 1080 (See my screenshot in post 9).

Once you have the Video Tab entries finished and click OK, you will get a small Export Settings dialog for naming your customized preset. Name it

what you want and click OK out of there. In the area where you are going to hit Save to start the export process, just make sure that the description of your

export reads for

MPEG2

1920 x 1080

Otherwise I think that we are in sync on the details now.

We will be watching for your OK.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                    stillerfan50 Level 1

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

See my screen capture.
                                    I selected HD 720p 30 on the presets on the right side before selected Advanced.  But I don't see a Done button (If this is what you meant by "Done")

In the export setting page, I attempted to set it to 1920 x 1080.  I was able to type in 1920 for frame width, but when I typed 1080 in frame height the width changed to 1440.  I'm guess this is because of the Aspect Ratio.  Screen capture below doesnt offer Aspect Ratio that allows be to enter 1920 x 1080.

• 15. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

Please go back to my screenshot in post 9.

First set the Profile and Level each to High and then type in the Field Width = 1920 and Field Height = 1080.

That should allow you type in the values wanted.

As for the pixel aspect ratio...that gets set to Widescreen 16:9 (1.000) or Square Pixels (1.0). Nothing else.

In reflection, please go with Square Pixels (1.0)

PAR.jpg

Both Widescreen 16:9 (1.000) as well as Square Pixels (1.000) should work, but let stay with the Square Pixels (1.000).

You do not want the Pixel Aspect Ratio = 1.333, that goes with a frame size of 1440 x 1080 for the HD anamorphic 16:9

choice which we are not using.

Please me know if you are OK with these clarifications.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                        stillerfan50 Level 1

Great!!!!
                                        I think all is working now.  Thanks for all your help!  I learned alot.

One final question if you don't mind.

What if is want to combine video from different sources (Samsung Galaxy S5 cellphone and Panasonic PV-GS250) into a single PE project for the purposes of creating a DVD.  Is this possible?

• 17. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

Wonderful news. "I think all is working now...."

If you decide you want to put different formats on the same Timeline for export to a single destination - file saved to hard drive or a burn to disc...some considerations are

a. Premiere Elements allows for only one project preset to match a source media. So when you have more than one format, you need to set priorities and then fit

everything else into it.

b. You can scale the secondary sources up or down to fit in the Edit area space that was set for the primary source.

c. Generalization, if you have photos and videos, set the primary project preset to match the video and then fit (crop and resize if necessary) the photos into

that setting.

d. Depending on the combination of formats, we might want to weight the pros and cons of video with progressive vs interlaced frame rate.

e. We know that your setting for the Samsung are going to be 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. Right?

So, then we need to know what the properties are for the Panasonic PV-GS250. If that is a miniDV camcorder, then you would getting involved

in DV data capture firewire into the Premiere Elements 4 Capture Windows. If that is so, then you will be capturing DV AVI standard 4:3 or 16:9 into

your 1920 x 1080 16:9 project. That is going to need some maneuving since you have a 16:9 project and, depending on your answer, you might

have a 4:3 other file.

Please more details for when you want to move forward on this mixed Timeline workflow.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                            stillerfan50 Level 1

Yes my Samsung Galaxy S5 video is 1920x1080 progressive.  MediaInfo shows 30fps variable (not 29.97 if that makes any difference)

As per my Panasonic PV-GS250 mini DV camcorder, the manual states

compression

Motion: JPEG

image size

320x240 pixels (QVGA)

Frame rate

Approx 6 fps

Could this be correct?  Is this saying my cellphone is a better video recording device than my camcorder (purchased in 2004)?

• 19. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

Let me check out your Panasonic PV-GS250 online specifications. Typically miniDV camcorder do DV data (4:3 or 16:9) capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window.

That gets you 720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second or 720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 frames per second. You end up with DV AVI 4:3 or 16:9 depending what your original DV data were.

I have not run into a mini DV camcorder that is going to use MotionJPEG compression to give you this low quality 320 x 240 file.

More later.

Thanks for asking for clarification.

ATR

• 20. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

I went digging into the user manual for the Panasonic PV-GS250, and the following is my interpretation of what I read.

You have a miniDV camcorder which apparently is offering DV not not HDV data.

So, if your use your iLink port on the camera, you can do a DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 4 capture window. That can put

DV AVI on your Timeline, probably only the standard 4:3. I could find no evidence that it would give DV AVI 16:9. Either way, the frame size is

720 x 480. But, in the case of the widescreen 16:9, that 16:9 flag stretches the video for display after encoding to about 856 x 480 pixels.

About the MotionJPEG at 320 x 240....it looks like you can use that Panasonic as a webcam too. When you do, the files that you obtain will

have MotionJPEG video compression with a resolution of 320 x 240 pixels. Do you really want to go there? The MotionJPEG video compression

is often problematic for Premiere Elements, and that resolution is very low.

Please review and check out your user guide and the options that you actually see on your Panasonic.

ATR

• 21. Re: Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                                  stillerfan50 Level 1

You're right.  320 x 240 are the webcam specs.

I tried to find the video specs in my Panasonic PV-GS250 manual.  Its not clear so I scanned the page in case you can decipher.

Basically, at this point I'm curious as to whether my cellphone or camcorder records higher quality video

• 22. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

I think that your cell phone is going to win out on this.

This Panasonic is a miniDV camcorder and as such is going to give you SD....either DV data 4:3 or DV data 16:9. Either way, the frame size is 720 x 480 pixels.

In the case of the widescreen, there is a 16:9 flag that stretches the video to about 856 x 480 for display after encoding. See the Panasonic specs. Check out

those specs where is reads "Recording Format: miniDV ......digital video SD format."

ATR

• 23. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                                      stillerfan50 Level 1

I've been distracted on a few other things recently, but I've successfully converted the Samsung Galaxy S5 video for use in PE 4.y

Unfortunately, I'm getting a lot of memory warning and PE4 crashing frequently.  I'm guessing I've already added about 17 video clips and have many more to add.

Any idea why the memory error/crashes and how to avoid them?

• 24. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                                        stillerfan50 Level 1

And if this is relevant.  I've had to flip and rotate each video.

• 25. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

Sorry for the delayed reply. I got detoured.

As for computer resources and your project with cell phone video and Premiere Elements 4....

The main thought here is that Premiere Elements 4 is a 32 bit application whether it is run on a 32 bit or 64 bit

computer. And, as such, it has the limitations of a 32 bit system, namely, maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB

of which typically 3 GB or less of that are available. Consequently, Premiere Elements 4 cannot cannot take full advantage

of the resources of a Window 7 64 bit computer, even with installed RAM way beyond 4 GB. The other part of the mix is

the free hard drive space.

What is the duration of your 1920 x 1080 cell phone clips by the time you have added the 17th clip?

Is the plan still to take the Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc?

ATR

• 26. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                                            arnnmio

Thanks ATR.  Given what I was trying to do, I decided to upgrade to PE 13 64 bit version.

A lot more choices in project settings. 
                                                            I was unsuccessful trying "Full HD 1080i 30.  Unsuccessful meaning I got a lot of pixelization or flicker.

Here is the information on my Samsung Galaxy S5

And here's what the input file looks like after running it thru Handbrake

It almost looks like I need a project setting of 1080 progessive 30, but I don't see that as an option in PE 13

• 27. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

stillerfan50

For the 1080p30 source....

Set the project preset manually for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

The how to for setting the project preset manually is given toward the bottom of the following blog post. I am posting this since I cannot recall if we went through the manual setting of the project preset for Premiere Elements 11 or later before in any of our discussions

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 28. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                                                arnnmio Level 1

Thanks ATR!  A quick attempt and everything is looking good!

• 29. Re: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

arnnmio

Great news. Great job.

We will be watching for further developments when you get the time.

ATR