7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 5:50 PM by OMont

9:32 Aspect Ratio Rendering

fnaud

Hello everyone,

Here's my scenario: I tiled 6 horizontal 1080p videos in AE to create a 9:32 aspect ratio video that will be playing on a setup of 2 vertical screens on top of each other. The final resolution I need is 1080 x 3840. I created a 1080 x 3840 composition and exported it to render queue to render the video.

Once this is done, the default Output Module Setting is "Lossless". Rendering the video with that setting works perfectly and renders a 9:32 .mov video.

However, I need a H.264 format. This is where the problem comes in, as soon as I go in the Output Module Settings and change the format to H.264, the rendered video's final size changes to 1080 x 2000.

In the Render section details, it seems fine as the Final Size (screenshot'S lower right corner) is 1080 x 3840, but once rendered, the actual size is 1080 x 2000.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 6.11.29 PM.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly new to AE, if you need any additional info in order to help, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: 9:32 Aspect Ratio Rendering
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'll have to check with the software used to playback the video at this size because you are probably not following the guidelines. H.264 is very picky about frame sizes because of the way the compression algorithm is written. H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You must use the formats specific by the software used to play back multiple screens. Most of the time for most of my clients I rendered 2 or 3 or even 8 separate standard HD 29.97 fps 1920 X 1080 comps and the software synced up the playback. This is exactly like sending a project to a service bureau, if you don't get the specifications from them you are most likely going to have to re do the render if not the whole project.

• 2. Re: 9:32 Aspect Ratio Rendering
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The important question here is how your content will be played to the screens, because that will govern how you output the content.

Are you using a multi-screen presentation system, like Watchout or PVP?  Or are you simply playing the video out of a computer to the two screens?  Or are you playing them directly on the screens using a USB device?

My approach would be to create two 1920x1080 output files, oriented correctly for the final orientation of the screens. and use a system like those mentioned above to provide synchronous playback.

• 3. Re: 9:32 Aspect Ratio Rendering
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Gazumped by Rick again!  :-)

• 4. Re: 9:32 Aspect Ratio Rendering
                fnaud Level 1

Hi Andrew and Rick, thanks for the prompt replies!

I'm using a media player with a content management software (SCALA) to playback the content.

Someone else was taking care of rendering the videos in the past and he rendered H.264 mp4 videos and did create 1 single 1080 x 3840 video as opposed to 2 1080 x 1920 videos tiled on each other.

The player is connected to the 2 screens that display the full content together, so I need to create one single file.

Any ideas?

• 5. Re: 9:32 Aspect Ratio Rendering
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

You might want to ask the previous person about the software used for compression.  You might need to get simething pricey, like a Telestream product.

But first, I'd take a whack at creating a custom preset in Adobe Media Encoder to do the job.

• 6. Re: 9:32 Aspect Ratio Rendering
                    fnaud Level 1

OK thanks, I never used Adobe Media Encoder, but I'll give it a shot!

Cheers

• 7. Re: 9:32 Aspect Ratio Rendering
                      OMont Level 1

h264 has issues with video dimensions. It cannot be higher than 4k and doesnt accept funky aspect ratios . Use another output codec