7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2014 9:38 PM by Silkrooster

Document won't open in workspace

catsdogs4 Level 1

Am using a PC, with Windows 8, Photoshop CS5.  When open a document, the document tab appears, but not the document in the workspace.  If drag on the tab, the document appears, but disappears once the drag is released. Had this problem once before, but can't remember how I got it fixed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Document won't open in workspace
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try updating the video driver.

• 2. Re: Document won't open in workspace
            catsdogs4 Level 1

I had downloaded VideoLan so I could watch DVDs on my laptop, and thought that might have done something. So I deleted that program from my computer before posting last night--the deletion did not fix my Photoshop.

As you can probably tell, I'm not very computer savvy, so could you advise how to update the video driver?

• 3. Re: Document won't open in workspace

First you can try windows update. You can access it from IE by clicking on Safety>Windows Update. You can in windows control panel or if you move your mouse all the way to the right for the charms panel to open, at the bottom is pc settings. In that app on the left side down towards the bottom is windows update. You would need to browse the updates as it will not be automatically updated unless it is critical. In other words it considers it as an option.

If you need more information than that I will need to be on my windows 8 system.

• 4. Re: Document won't open in workspace

If you know the manufacturer of the video card, you can go to their web site to update the driver as well.

• 5. Re: Document won't open in workspace
                  catsdogs4 Level 1

I installed all Windows updates, per your first email yesterday, but no change.

How do I find a video card—I have no idea what it is.

I do appreciate very much your help, Silkrooster!!

Susan

• 6. Re: Document won't open in workspace
                    catsdogs4 Level 1

I got it fixed!!  Here’s what I did:

Opened Photoshop; selected Edit from menu bar, then Preferences (at bottom of list); then selected General, and went to page that shows GPU and unselected “Open as GL”.

Thought you might want to know in case you get this question from someone else.

Thanks again for all your help!! Really nice to know someone’s out there willing to help.

Susan

• 7. Re: Document won't open in workspace

That can work for now, and depending on the video card, maybe your only solution. As some cards that are old enough can not understand the code that photoshop is giving it.

If you use your search feature in windows to search for system information, it should list an app to give you information on your system. This will tell you what video card you have, it will give you the make, model and other pertinent information.

You can also find this app in the app list, by going to the start page, then clicking the down arrow at the bottom left side of page (windows 8.1) or right clicking on the background of the start page. It will be listed all the way to the right under windows apps.