5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 8:35 AM by homeboy4

Table of Contents Styles

homeboy4 User Group Manager

In the past I've successfully created tables of contents. I created the necessary styles just as I would any other style. I just now noticed a menu item called table of contents styles under Layouts. What's this for? Why is it necessary?

• 1. Re: Table of Contents Styles
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

TOC styles are for creating TOCs based on your Paragraph Style.

1. You have to structure you document complete with paragraph and character styles (which should be done anyway).
          2. Create for each level entry in the TOC a different TOC paragraph style (these are normal Paragraph Styles used for the TOC).
          3. Define a TOC style, where you choose the Paragraph Style which is drawn into the TOC and choose the level and which TOC paragraph style will be used.

You have a great benefit for using these styles:

• Changes in the document are reflected automatically (after actualization) in the TOC.
          • Automatic page numbers.
          • Several TOC in one document (Chapters, Tables, Images, Mathematical or Chemical Forms, etc.)
          • 2. Re: Table of Contents Styles

contents-capture.JPG

Thanks. But my question wasn't about how to create a table of contents or how to create styles. It was about the menu item under Layouts called Table of Contents Styles. Since I have successfully built a number of tables of contents without ever using that menu, I wonder why it is there, or what the workflow the InDesign mavens had in mind by including it.

• 3. Re: Table of Contents Styles
              Migintosh Level 4

It looks like there are 10 or 12 aspects to a TOC that you have to choose. Using a TOC style will let you change up those aspects in one step, rather than in 10 or 12.

• 4. Re: Table of Contents Styles
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A TOC style, like other styles, is a collection of attributes you set for a TOC -- what styles to include, sort order, level, styles to apply to heading and listings and the numbering. This is very useful since you can set up a TOC style you like in one document, and then import it into other files so you don't need to recreate the wheel, but even more useful is that you can create multiple TOC styles for different uses within the same file since you can have as many TOCs in a file as you like or need. You'd likely want a slightly different style for the main TOC and the one you use for a list of figures, for example.

• 5. Re: Table of Contents Styles

Okay guys. I finally got it. Duh.

I kept thinking that a TOC style was identical to a paragraph style. Now I see what it really is.