6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2014 12:07 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 11 will not properly import from hard drive video of 352 x 480.  Audio is fine.

alexmorgan43

Hello All,  I'm wanting to import VHS video that was burned to a DVD.  Frame size is 352 x 480.  Elements shows it, even after rendering, as very distorted video on the monitor panel.  Audio is fine. Anybody here have an idea how to conform my video to the Project?

• 1. Re: Elements 11 will not properly import from hard drive video of 352 x 480.  Audio is fine.
          A.Kubba Adobe Employee

Hi,

Can you confirm if the video is distorted after rendering the file or the file appears to be distorted on the Timeline.

Does it work fine when you play it through VLC or Windows Media Player.

Thank You

Arjun

• 2. Re: Elements 11 will not properly import from hard drive video of 352 x 480.  Audio is fine.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

alexmorgan43

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is it running?

You say that you have VHS video burned to DVD. What exactly do you mean by that in light of the frame size 352 x 480 that you are reporting

for the file that has problems in your Premiere Elements version?

1. Did you digitize your VHS footage to obtain DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? That would have been expected to give you 720 x 480 4:3. If that were

the case, how did you get to 352 x 480 for the video that you took into your video of Premiere Elements?

2. How did you get your video files from the DVD disc into your Premiere Elements project? What did you use for Get Media (if Premiere Elements

earlier than 11) or Add Media (if Premiere Elements 11, 12, or 13).

3. Whatever the case, what is the whole file name of the file that went from DVD and ended up in the Premiere Elements project?

VTS_01_1.VOB, DV AVI, or something else?

Please review, consider, and do not hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Elements 11 will not properly import from hard drive video of 352 x 480.  Audio is fine.
              alexmorgan43 Level 1

Thanks Mr. Romano for the nice response.  

I have Adobe Premier Elements 11 running on an Intel 3930k processor, USB 3.0 Passport & USB 2 WD stand up HD, a 460 GPU, 12 GB RAM system.My client gave me a DVD with VHS tape recorded onto it.  Its frame size according to the "Properties" window is 352 x 480 in 4x3 aspect.  Have you ever heard of 352 x 480?  Are Premier users able to get a preset for those specs?  I see there are fields available for vertical and horizontal numbers but they are grayed out.  Client made these discs on a tape-to-DVD machine.  I got these DVD's copied to my hard drive and then imported them into Elements by selecting the "File ... New Project" and then a few of the "Change Settings" choices.  I also let Elements choose the format by importing the video by itself with no preferences.  My video copied to the hard drive is labled VTS_02_01.  And, yes, I clicked on "Add Media" to choose Files from Files And Folders.  I only had Elements 11 ... no earlier versions.  Then I subscribed to the big version of Premier Pro CC for $19.95/mo.  It also imports confused video but plays one frame at a time with lots of time between frames (no moving video) and nice continuous sound.  I even rendered the timeline and then also made a WMV file with same bad result.  I did just buy the Matrox MXO2 LE Max box for digitizing a room full of BetaCam SP and VHS tapes.  Don't know how to use it yet.  Might be the only answer, but all the other DVD's my client has given me work nicely in Elements.  Aghhh. Thanks in advance for any help here.

• 4. Re: Elements 11 will not properly import from hard drive video of 352 x 480.  Audio is fine.
                alexmorgan43 Level 1

Hi Mr. Arjun,

Yes, my video plays just fine with VLC.  Puzzling.

• 5. Re: Elements 11 will not properly import from hard drive video of 352 x 480.  Audio is fine.
                  alexmorgan43 Level 1

Hi again Arjun and Romano,

I neglected to tell you that I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  As to my saying the Frame Size choices under the Edit menu... General.... and Project Settings are grayed out... they are not but  they are in nice black numbers.  I just cannot change the H and V numbers.  It seems this program is making all the choices for me as it knows best what I need.  When I started a computer store back in 1982, some people would say "A computer does not do what you want it to do, it does what you tell it to do."  I just wish I could tell this thing what to do. 

• 6. Re: Elements 11 will not properly import from hard drive video of 352 x 480.  Audio is fine.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

alexmorgan43

Thank you for the reply.

(Note: It would be better also to know...frame rate and progressive or interlaced video...NTSC or PAL setup...but for now....with some assumptions...

Although I have never run into a DVD-VIDEO video file with the 352 x 480 (4:3) resolution, it does exist apparently.

DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From my perspective, if your client's goal is DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc for this source, I do not see that Premiere Elements (any version)

is going to produce a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with video files 352 x 480 (4:3). It will give you (NTSC) 720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second

or (PAL) 720 x 576 4:3 @ 25 interlaced frames per second.

If your client can settle for your 352 x 480 (4:3) source exported to a file saved to the computer hard drive, then Premiere Elements 11 can give you a MPEG2.mpg

file with a 352 x 480 4:3 resolution.

But, assuming the NTSC DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc workflow....with Frame Width = 480 pixels and Frame Height = 352 pixels...But if this is really portrait rather than

landscape oriented video, then we have other considerations not mentioned below....and I suspect we may be going in that direction...the answers will be in the details...

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 to the Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

2. In Change Setting, select

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p

OK out of there. In the New Project dialog that next appears,

make sure that you have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Settings on This Project. OK out of there.

3. Back in the Expert workspace, import your VTS_02_1.VOB using the project's Add Media/Files and Folders to get

the file into Projects Assets from where it is dragged to the Timeline.

(Typically the DVD-VIDEO's video files start with VTS_01_1.VOB, but not always. This may be one of those not always times. Just

check that your video is represented in those video files (VTS_).

4. Edit, Add Menu if you want.

5. Publish+Share/Disc/DVC disc with preset NTSC_Dolby DVD for the NTSC DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 on DVD disc

@ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

6. Moment of truth...what does that look like on your TV's DVD player.

Please review and consider and then we can fine tune if my assumptions did not meet your actual details.

Thanks.

ATR