5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 4:35 PM by station_two

Trouble opening PS CS4 on new computer

Chrisdmd

Hi,

Ok I'll try to make long story short. I had 2 MacBooks (one work, one home). Both had copies of PS CS4. I sold my home macbook and reset it to factory defaults but I forgot to deactivate the license. I just got new (home) macbook today and transferred everything over with Time Machine. After Effects CS6 seems to be fine but PS CS4 wasn't opening. I then removed the app and reinstalled with original disks. Now I get error message that says "An unexpected error and unrecoverable problem has occurred because you do not have the necessary access privileges. Photoshop will now exit". So I went  and downloaded the PS CS4 update to v11.0.2, installed it, and I still get same error message.

I contacted chat support and they said they can't help me and I should try the forums. So I'm trying the forums...and advice?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: Trouble opening PS CS4 on new computer
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.

• 2. Re: Trouble opening PS CS4 on new computer
            Peter Porchert Level 2

Chrisdmd schrieb:

Hi,

Ok I'll try to make long story short. I had 2 MacBooks (one work, one home). Both had copies of PS CS4. I sold my home macbook and reset it to factory defaults but I forgot to deactivate the license. I just got new (home) macbook today and transferred everything over with Time Machine. After Effects CS6 seems to be fine but PS CS4 wasn't opening. I then removed the app and reinstalled with original disks. Now I get error message that says "An unexpected error and unrecoverable problem has occurred because you do not have the necessary access privileges. Photoshop will now exit". So I went  and downloaded the PS CS4 update to v11.0.2, installed it, and I still get same error message.

I contacted chat support and they said they can't help me and I should try the forums. So I'm trying the forums...and advice?

Thanks,

Chris

as this is a user to user forum that´s pretty lame from adobe.

but of course when you only have a few callcenter guys sitting there, answering questions from the book not from experience.... your support will suffer

im not a mac guy.

but have you tried uninstalling and using the adobe cleaner tool then re-installing?

• 3. Re: Trouble opening PS CS4 on new computer
              gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can try opening Disk Utility and click on Repair Permissions. See if that will fix it.

If not,

Do you have your discs and serial number? A reinstall is better than a transfer.

• 4. Re: Trouble opening PS CS4 on new computer
                Level 5

Chrisdmd wrote:

…just got new (home) macbook today and transferred everything over with Time Machine. After Effects CS6 seems to be fine but PS CS4 wasn't opening. I then removed the app and reinstalled with original disks…

Both of those moves are guaranteed to bring you endless grief.

Applications should always be installed from scratch, from the original media, DVDs or downloads

Deleting or "Removing" an application rather than Uninstalling it leads to a disaster.

What you also need to do now is contact Adobe Customer Service (not Tech Support).  They will deactivate one of your installs for you.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Trouble opening PS CS4 on new computer
                  Level 5

Peter,

Adobe tech support routinely refers issues like this here when it has to do with an obsolete application that is no longer supported, such as CS4.  Such is life with virtual monopolies like Adobe.