6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 6:30 AM by Noel Carboni

Graphics Card requirements

catnip500

Hi,  I'm considering installing photoshop cc on my tower pc but am not sure if it will be compatible with my graphics card.  I have had a number of problems with the trial version on my laptop opening files and think this is because I have an integrated graphics card that is incompatible with the new version.  Please could you give me advice on whether the Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 (192bit) is compatible?  If not, please could you recommend an appropriate video card to update to?  Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Graphics Card requirements
          sishamDSS Adobe Community Professional & MVP

According to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 | techPowerUp GPU Database you should be fine to upgrade. 2048MB available and I think you need 512 MB recommended. :-)

• 2. Re: Graphics Card requirements
            hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello catnip500,

you could look at Adobe's own informations to better identify there Photoshop CC and CC 2014 GPU FAQ

Hans-Günter

• 3. Re: Graphics Card requirements

Thank you for confirming what I had already stated.

This is what Adobe states:

Tested video cards for Photoshop CC and CC 2014

Adobe tested the following video cards before the release of Photoshop CC and CC 2014. This document lists the video card by series. The minimum amount of VRAM supported on video cards for Photoshop CC and CC 2014 is 512 MB.

Important: This document is updated as newly released cards are tested. However, Adobe cannot test all cards in a timely manner. If a video card is not listed here, but was released after May 2013, you can assume that the card will work with Photoshop CC and CC 2014.

Adobe tested laptop and desktop versions of the following cards. Be sure to download the latest driver for your specific model (Laptop and desktop versions have slightly different names.)

• nVidia GeForce: 400, 500, 600, 700 series

Thanks

• 4. Re: Graphics Card requirements
                hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Oh je oh je!

"Thank you for confirming what I had already stated." ???

You talked about NVIDIA requirements, my post refers to Adobe's. Nice, that you repeated them.

• 5. Re: Graphics Card requirements

In my original post I was not talking about "NVIDIA requirements" I was talking about the "NVIDIA specifications" letting them know that the NVIDIA card they had met the "Adobe requirements" which was a minimum of 512 MB.

• 6. Re: Graphics Card requirements
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Personally I've had nothing but good luck for a couple of years with my VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 7850.  It's been a near-flawless experience using Photoshop, and to this day Photoshop CC 2014.2 runs very well with it.  AMD just released the Catalyst 14.9 driver set and that works with Photoshop perfectly (as did its predecessor Catalyst 14.4).

The current model that is the equivalent to the 7850 is the ATI Radeon R9 270 series.  That's what I'd get right now if I had to get a new one.  And I'm personally fond of the VisionTek company for making the ATI reference designs.

Note: If you're upgrading a card already in a system, especially a different brand (e.g., nVidia -> ATI) you'll need to seek out information on how to uninstall everything the prior driver has put in your system.  It might even be prudent to do an operating system refresh after installing the new card.  The reason for this is that people don't change out video cards very often, and they're a very basic part of Windows operation, so the drivers tend to bury themselves deep in the system, and uninstallers don't always get everything.  Competing display drivers do not a stable system make.

-Noel