3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 9:04 AM by Willi Adelberger

even work spacing in inDesign CS5

Scoundral Level 1

I am working on a product catalog that provides detail specs for the products. There can be up to 16 columns of specs for any given product. I have tried using the space bar to separate the specs but I know that it is not the correct way to format this. I tried using tabs but it is very confusing to set them uniformly and I am not getting the result I want. Here is a screen grab so you know what I mean:

tabSample.jpg

As you see the distance between each column of specs varies from one column to the other. Plus the specs do not always line up from one line to the other (see # of sec.)

What is the proper (and easiest) method of achieving uniform spacing between columns of content?

Thanx in advance.

Cliff

• 1. Re: even work spacing in inDesign CS5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is what Tables are designed to do....

• 2. Re: even work spacing in inDesign CS5
            Scoundral Level 1

yes, I realize that but setting them up is very confusing and not giving me the solution. I admit to being overwhelmed by this so I am asking if there is either another way to achieve this or if there is a tutorial vid someone can recommend.

• 3. Re: even work spacing in inDesign CS5
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Start with using the table.

Insert a table with the number of column you need and one headline.

Set up Paragraph Styles for each different type (Headline/Body, left, center right)

Set up a cell style for each type

Apply for each cell in the first line the Cell style, and drag the vertical divider to the width you need. You can  select several columns and use either the cell properties information in the panel or use some commands in the context menu.

When you have learned this, the next step would be (not now) to set up table styles, but first you need to know how cell styles work. When you later come to the point that you can format whole tables by pre-formatted styles (table stylees) by clicking once when you create a table.

Important is—as always—to use style: Paragraph Styles, Character Styles, Cell Styles, Table Styles and Object Styles. If you learn to use the same names and relations between the stles you can use over and over again the same style with some fast done adaptions.

I would strongly recommend not to use more than one space in a row as spaces have not always the same width (see setting in the Justify section of the Paragraph Style). Even if it looks fine on the screen, it will look horrible in print.