5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 8:44 AM by A.T. Romano

MOV file has audio but green screen

KaraPR

I have dropped several MOV video files into Elements.  All are fine except for one.  I can hear audio but the screen is blank - green actually.  What is wrong and how can I fix?

• 1. Re: MOV file has audio but green screen
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•You MUST use an account with Administrator Privileges to run Premiere Elements

•(Doing Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 [says Encore and also for "All" versions of Premiere] will sometimes fix "odd" errors)

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 12 with the 12.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.9.4"---not just "Mac"

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•How many and what speed are your hard drive(s)... ie 5400rpm or 7200rpm or?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

MOV is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: MOV file has audio but green screen
            KaraPR Level 1

That's a whole lot of information! Clearly, I'm not too familiar with this program.  The point is: I drop video after video into the timeline, looks great.  No problems. But one video in particular, taken on the same day, with the same Iphone just looks GREEN in the timeline.  I can hear the audio and can still select all the effects, editing options etc but it's just green.  Perhaps this is more complicated than I can handle.

• 3. Re: MOV file has audio but green screen
              A.T. Romano Level 7

karapr

Do not give up. Just let us boil down the information and rule the necessary factors in or out one by one.

What model iPhone do you have? Depending on the lighting conditions, the iPhone may have recorded each of your

videos with a "variable frame rate". Instead of all 29.97 frames per second for the whole, it opted for maybe 24 frames per second for one

part, 32 frames per second for another part and gave the overall frame rate somewhere in the middle. Let us explore that possibility. It is

easy enough and quick enough to do. I have just post similar information for a Premiere Elements user trying to use video from a Samsung

S5 cell phone. Please review the HandBrake approach in post 5 of that thread

Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos

Let us start with the important questions that have not been asked nor the answer given.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the model of the iPhone?

What do you get for Video Codec Name Status when you run your video through the GSpot codec utility

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

Please review the above and supply more information so that we can put this together in a customized fashion.

The answer should be in these details.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: MOV file has audio but green screen
                Kamna Yadav Adobe Employee

Hi KaraPR

Please check if you are getting a small red cross at the bottom left corner of the PRE app (status bar). If yes, then please click on the cross and share the screenshot of the dialog to us. Also, please share the screenshot of the clip details. For that you can use either GSpot Codec utility or MediaInfo tool.

Thanks

Kamna

• 5. Re: MOV file has audio but green screen
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

KaraPR

Please tell us first what version of Premiere Elements that you are using and on what computer operating system it is running.

Then...

Resolution for your issue is most likely to come from the information in post numbered 3 of your thread which already includes considerations for GSpot readouts, MediaInfo Tool readouts, HandBrake conversion to correct a possible variable frame rate to a constant one. If any questions on that or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Since all but one of your several .mov files has the problem, I will not at this time ask you to check out your QuickTime install. Based on your success with several of the .mov files, it is assumed that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and that you can see QuickTime presets when you go to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime. But, worth the double checking anyway.

Based on the history of Premiere Elements with cell phone video and variable vs constant frame rate, that frame rate factor needs to be ruled in or out at the onset. Please see post 5 in the link that I have already posted

Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos

Assuming that your Premiere Elements is on Windows, specific troubleshooting benefits of 3rd party software suggested

a. GSpot will tell us the status of the video and audio codecs (compression)

b. MediaInfo will tell us if you have a variable frame rate for your cell phone video....if you do, you will see 3 readings for frame rate instead of 1.

Remember to use the Tree View in MediaInfo to get the complete list of video and audio properties. Otherwise you will get a summary type description.

We are looking forward to having you succeed.

ATR