9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 12:59 PM by CharleyOreo

Prem Elem 11 Freezes

CharleyOreo

Can anyone help fix freezing of Premiere Elements 11 when it is idle or being used? Have Windows 7/ 32 bit.

• 1. Re: Prem Elem 11 Freezes
          A.T. Romano Level 7

CharleyOreo

How are differentiating between idle and frozen?

Does the problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Is your computer optimized, how much installed and available RAM, how much free hard drive space (all from Local Disk C or supplemental

drives as well)? Have you searched for and removed pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files?

Where are the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at the Scratch Disks hard drive save locations?

Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

Is this problem that you are reporting "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before"?

When you are in an opened project - what are the properties of the source that you are importing for edit? What is the size/duration of your

typical project? Does it matter to the freezing whether the source is still or video? If sources include stills, what are the pixel dimensions of

the stills involved, how many of them?

Then the usual drill...

a. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

b. Latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements?

c. Video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Lots of questions, but the answers will be in the details.

Any questions or need clarification, please let us know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Prem Elem 11 Freezes
            A.T. Romano Level 7

CharleyOreo

Thanks for the reply but for some reason the message was missing from the reply.

We are looking forward to helping you with your Premiere Elements issue, so please try again

to send the message when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Prem Elem 11 Freezes
              CharleyOreo Level 1

ATR: My response to your questions follow:

How are differentiating between idle and frozen? There is no response when trying to activate the site. You can’t close it when selecting the “close”,“minimize” or “restore”  areas on the upper right corner of the screen. I use the “Windows Task Manager” to close “Premiere Elements 11” and start it again in the usual manner using the shortcut icon.    

Does the problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled? It doesn’t make any difference wheter the mentioned programs are “off or “on.” 

Is your computer optimized, how much installed and available RAM, [4.00 GB and 2.91 GB Usuable.how much free hard drive space (all from Local Disk C or supplemental drives as well)? Disk C: 40.1 GB free of 285 GB; Disk D (Recovery) 1.95nGB free of 12.4 GB. Have you searched for and removed pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files? If  “pile ups” means edited versions of photos, they have all been deleted. I have no audio or video files.

Where are the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at the Scratch Disks hard drive save locations? Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. I cannot locate “Scratch Disks”. I can successfully select up to that point.

Is this problem that you are reporting "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before"? It worked when first installed within the last couple of years. It hasn’t been working properly for about a year and before installing “Webroot” and “ParetoLogic”.               

When you are in an opened project - what are the properties of the source that you are importing for edit? Photos are “JPG” 

What is the size/duration of your typical project? Doesn’t make any difference what the size is. It can be less than 2 MB or as much as 22MB. 

Does it matter to the freezing whether the source is still or video? No.

If sources include stills, what are the pixel dimensions of the stills involved, how many of them? Pixel size is normally 4000 x 2664. I work with one at a time.                                       

Then the usual drill...

1. a. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges? Not sure if applicable question,but I am the “home” administrator.   
              2. b. Latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements? Version 7.7.4 is installed.
              3. c. Video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Not sure if I’m answering your question but installed  is Mobile Intel ®4 Series Chipset Family

• 6. Re: Prem Elem 11 Freezes
                A.T. Romano Level 7

CharleyOreo

Thank you for the reply. Your details helped me to understand more fully your Premiere Elements 11 Freezing Issue.

My impression is that your computer resources (available RAM and free hard drive space) and photo pixel dimensions (4000 x 2664)

are major contributors to your program freezing issue.

1. Computer Resources. With your Windows 7 32 bit computer, you are left to deal with a Premiere Elements 11 32 bit application. Premiere

Elements 11 Windows does not because a 64 bit application (with all the resource perks that come with that) unless it is run specifically on Window 7, 8, or 8.1

64 bit. With 32 bit system limitation of maximum supported installed RAM =  4 GB. You have 4 GB RAM installed already. The free hard drive space at 40.1 GB is

too low. Can you free up any space on this drive with the 284 GB capacity? Do you have access to an external hard drive (formatted NTFS) to help you with

supplemental space?

If those Scratch Disk are pointed to that drive with the 40.1 GB free space that could be a major issue. Are you saying that, at this point, you cannot get

into Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to check out the situation first hand?

Ways to improve the situation short of moving to a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer might be:

a. Get an external hard drive (NTFS formatted - 500 GB capacity) and point the Scratch Disks there if we can get into preferences to do that.

b. Clean out any pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, conformed video files.

Preview files...in Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder in Adobe Folder

Conformed Audio files...in Media Cache Files Folder in Adobe Folder

Conformed Video files...Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database area and hit the Clean Button

There may be GB amounts of files there that are eating up your free hard drive space.

I do not have Windows 7 32 bit, only 64 bit. See if you can get the program opened long enough to get into Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch discs

to get the locations for those files to be deleted.

Those photo need to be resize or cropped resized before importing into Premiere Elements. Do not go much higher in resolution than 1920 x 1080 16:9.

Please review the above and consider. Then we can discuss the pros and cons of any suggested troubleshooting strategy.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Prem Elem 11 Freezes
                  CharleyOreo Level 1

ATR

When the virtual memory was changed from 70% to 75% the elements of Photoshop worked. Also, I let the program stay open f& unused or over an hour and Photoshop remained up and operational.   I am still interested in resolving the "scratch" and "preview issues" at a later time. I need to do some research to  understand what the negative implications are.

Thanks for your assistance in resolving this troublesome  issue.

CO

• 8. Re: Prem Elem 11 Freezes
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

CharleyOreo

Thanks for the update. Glad to learn that the virtual memory adjust was helpful. Good job.

But from what you wrote, I became unclear as to what program you are now working with. Is it

Photoshop CS or newer

Photoshop Elements 11

Premiere Elements 11

My impression was that we were working with Premiere Elements 11.

Whatever the case, we are glad that you have made progress in your troubleshooting.

As for scratch disks, please determine if any of the following Adobe documents are of interest

Photoshop Elements 11

Photoshop Elements Help | Scratch disks, plug‑ins, and application updates

Premiere Elements 11

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Working with scratch disks

Please let us know if any questions or need clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Prem Elem 11 Freezes
                      CharleyOreo Level 1

ATR

Sorry, about giving you conflicting information. Photoshop Elements 11 is the program in question.

Thanks for the references. I'll check them out at my leisure.

CO