11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 7:52 PM by A.T. Romano

project settings/general Help

project settings help

I have adobe premiere elements 12 and I am having an issue with changing the editing mode located in project settings/general option.  When I open a project that contains videos in the 4:3 aspect, the editing mode option is greyed out in the project settings. As a result, this video is previewed in a widescreen form with the letter box on the side of the video.

In addition, when I start a new project without any media added to it the project setting/general editing mode is set to HD 1080i and is greyed out.  When I add media that is 4:3 in aspect, the video that is previewed is letter boxed on the side to fit a 16:9 resolution.

I also have an older project that contains 16:9 video.  However, the video is previewed in a 4:3 aspect with the letter box on the top.  When I go to project settings/general the editing mode option is greyed out and set to DV NTSC.  Exporting this video in the widescreen format does not change the final result.  It is still a widescreen video that is letter boxed on the top and bottom to fit a 4:3 aspect ratio.

How can I fix this problem. Thanks,

Nathan

• 1. Re: project settings/general Help
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Nathan

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on what computer operating system?

Background Information

The Edit Menu/Project Settings/General Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio area is best for letting you confirm what project preset you (manually) or the project (automatically) has set for the project. For all intents and purposes, you are not going to do any project settings changes there. And many of the important fields there are grayed out, meaning you cannot change them there. The Adobe party lines is once you established the project preset you need to start a new project if the project preset was set incorrectly by you or the project. There is a longer story that goes with that, but we will put that aside for another time.

The program is designed for the project to set automatically the project preset (which should match the properties of your source media) based on the properties of the video that first hits the Timeline. Sometimes it does it correctly, sometimes not. When it does not, it does not give you the closest fit, but rather its default value which is 1080i30 (1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.)

Please refer to http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Your Immediate Issue

1. What are the properties of each of the files that you want to import into a project? What is the frame size that goes with your 4:3 aspect ratio? What is the frame rate of this file? And, are you working with interlaced or progressive video?

Example: If you are working with 720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second

a. Set the project preset manually

Open a new project and go to the Expert workspace

In the Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, select NTSC DV Standard, OK out of there

In the new project dialog that you see next, make sure that there is a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" and OK out of there.

b. Back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to bring your video into Project Assets from where you drag the video to

the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track 1. We will talk about render indicator line over the Timeline content another time and Timeline rendering.

c. The project preset that you set directed the project to establish a space in the Edit area monitor to match the NTSC DV Standard format. You should have a good

space within which to edit your video.

As for your other problems with aspect ratios, I would ask "Are you working with .mod widescreen files?

Please give a full description of the files with which you are working, and I will give you complete information on how to proceed to edit these video in Premiere Elements.

Please review and consider, and then we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: project settings/general Help
            project settings help Level 1

ATR

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7.  So the issue I am having is with a video that has an image size of: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 720x480, Frame Rate:29.97, Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.2121. Under Properties it states that the image size is 720X480.  Under Interpret footage it states that the pixel aspect ratio is widescreen 16:9.

I do not think I am working with .mod widescreen files.  The file is widescreen because it appears in the video monitor as a video file with letterbox on the top and the bottom.  I want to change the way the video monitor represents this file so that this video appears to take up the entire monitor.  I want to produce the final result without the letter box on it, and in widescreen format and not 4:3.

The video file is an .mpg file.  I have another video that I shot with the same camera that fits to the video monitor.  Under project settings/general the video size is 720X480, pixel aspect ratio: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121) and editing mode is DV NTSC.  I checked the project settings/general for the video in question again and the only difference in the settings is that pixel Aspect Ratio is set to : D1/DV NTSC (0.9091).

I do not know whether I am working interlaced or progressive videos.

Thanks for you time.

Nathan

• 3. Re: project settings/general Help
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Nathan

Thanks for the reply.

The frame size for NTSC standard 4:3 and NTSC widescreen 16:9 are the same 720 x 480 pixels. The difference between them is that the widescreen has a 16:9 flag that stretches the video for display after encoding (to 856 x 480 pixels).

If you are sure that your video is characterized by 720 x 480 with a pixel aspect ratio = D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121), then you are dealing with 720 x 480 widescreen 16:9 @ 29.97 frames per second..

So, best set up your project preset manually according to

Open a new project and go to the Expert workspace

In the Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, select NTSC DV Widescreen, OK out of there

In the new project dialog that you see next, make sure that there is a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" and OK out of there.

When you import this video into the Premiere Elements 12 project with the above settings, your video should fill the space in the Edit area monitor (no black borders or letterboxing.

Double check under Edit Menu/Preferences/General that there is a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size.

Have you done all that and still see letterboxing in the Edit area monitor when viewing your Timeline content in that space?

And, just to triple check, what is the file extension of the file that you are importing into Premiere Elements 12?

Please review and then we can determine why the letterboxing when details above are followed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: project settings/general Help

ATR,

The problem is that I have 3 separate project with the same two videos in them that I have already edited.  If I follow your instructions the letter box on the video monitor is indeed removed (when I create a new project).  Thanks for your help with this part.

However, I do not wish to re-edit all 3 projects.  Is there a way to manual change the project settings by editing the .prel file?  I understand this code is written in XML.  I have an associates degree in computer programming and have created numerous web pages in HTML. So I could follow simple instructions to change these values.

The file extension of the files I am importing into Premiere are all .mpg.

Thanks,

Nathan

• 5. Re: project settings/general Help
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Nathan

Thanks for the update. Although the Adobe party line is that you cannot change project settings after the project preset has been established, I have found a

way to do just that "under certain circumstances" by editing the Notepad document of the saved closed project.

Please take a look at my blog post on that to determine if you would want to use that type of approach in your situation which seems essentially to be

changing a standard 4:3 project into standard widescreen 16:9.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Changing Project Settings Without Starting A New Project

If you need for me to do step by step specific for a NTSC DV Standard to NTSC DV Widescreen project using the above approach, let me know.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: project settings/general Help

So, I followed the instructions in the blog that you linked to the discussion.  It worked! The video is now fit to the video monitor.  There is one problem though in edit/project settings/general the editing mode is set to DV PAL, the video size is 720 horizontal 576 vertical, and pixel aspect ratio: D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587).  I am not sure how this video will export to NTSC when I render the timeline.  Also, when I edit a title the box the title previews in is too long in width for the video it overlays on.  Do you know what changes I might have to make to the .prel file that would result in editing mode: DV NTSC and pixel aspect ratio: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)?

• 7. Re: project settings/general Help
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

project settings help

I will work through the details for you specific for NTSC DV Standard to NTSC DV Widescreen project.

I will start now. It should not take long, but it is late where I am, I like to road test everything I post. I will post within the next hour or get

the details posted by the morning.

Thanks for looking at the troubleshooting suggestions.

More later.

ATR

• 8. Re: project settings/general Help
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

project settings help

The following should work and should be all the changes needed.

In the Notepad document of the NTSC DV Standard project, there are about 16 places where you make the following change.

In the Notepad Find field, use PixelAspect, and make the changes for only the specifics

From

<PixelAspectRatio>10,11</PixelAspectRatio>

To

<PixelAspectRatio>40,33</PixelAspectRatio>

This should take your NTSC DV Standard to NTSC DV Widescreen project as verified in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: project settings/general Help
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

project settings help

I will be watching for your results.

I am still road testing some detours in the plan.

More details later in the morning.

ATR

Add On...I am getting to wonder if this is going to work for your purposes.

This route can be useful only in certain scenarios.

• 10. Re: project settings/general Help

ATR,

I tried the modifications you listed above on my Project.  It worked, and the video is now displayed widescreen in the video monitor.  Also, the title menu is displayed in widescreen. 

Thank you very much for your effort on this.  I appreciate you walking me through the problem like you did.  It can be difficult sometimes to try and solve these problems on your own.

Nathan

• 11. Re: project settings/general Help
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Nathan

Very great news. You did a great job on a not so easy task.

It is an interesting troubleshooting tool that works under certain

circumstances. Glad the suggestions worked for you.

Best wishes.

ATR