4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2014 4:25 AM by JRSJS

Sigma RAW files not supported in ACR

JRSJS

Hi,

I am trying to get support for the RAW files from my Sigma DP2 Merrill in Photoshop but this does not seem to possible. Can anyone help? ACR will not recognize them although the list of cameras supported does refer to the DP2

• 1. Re: Sigma RAW files not supported in ACR
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The DP2 is supported by not the DP2M, right?

• 2. Re: Sigma RAW files not supported in ACR
            JRSJS Level 1

Well the list shows the DP2. Is this different from the DP2M? Thanks for your reply.

• 3. Re: Sigma RAW files not supported in ACR
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From what I'm reading online, yes, there are different DPn sensors.

In the last six months Adobe Raw Engineer Eric Chan has said there is no time table for support in Adobe products:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/sigma_sd1_when_will_the_merrill_sens ors_be_supported_please

I have two theories why Adobe doesn't support the Merrill sensors.

1)  From Googling I see an open letter to the president of Sigma asking Sigma to make the internals of the Merrill format public knowledge so raw vendors can support it.  I see other posts about how the format has been reverse-engineered by others and some programs do support it.  On Macs, Iridient Developer does a reasonable job:  http://www.iridientdigital.com/  My conclusion from this information is that Adobe cannot legally use the reverse-engineered code and doesn't have other information from the camera manufacturer to do their own conversion.  The other problem could be one of intellectual property rights.  If Adobe uses open-source code in their products which aren't free, then whomever did the reverse-engineering could sue Adobe for compensation, and with Adobe having a billion-dollar market cap that would be a tempting target for lawyers.

2)  Or, perhaps Adobe can do a conversion but the quality isn't very good because their low-level processing is optimized for RGGB Bayer arrays.  This is the current situation with the novel layout in Fuji X-Trans raw files, Adobe's raw conversion lacks detail compared to other products.

• 4. Re: Sigma RAW files not supported in ACR
                JRSJS Level 1

Thanks for your helpful reply. What you say does make sense and the link to the discussion in the Photoshop community is interesting. Obviously there are many other people frustrated by this too.

I have been in touch with Sigma and they tell me that they have given all the necessary information to Adobe. So it's a mystery unless as you say, they cannot yet do a good job on it.

All the best,

John