5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2014 11:04 AM by Ronald Keller

Understanding Vector Smart Objects in PSD

karenf1 Level 1

I'm trying to learn to use Smart Objects in PS to edit files created in AI. I watched the Adobe TV video as well as a few others. It seems easy as pie. But one thing confuses me. What is the file that gets created called  Vector Smart Object.ai? Do I need to do anything with it? Does it et saved anywhere? I don't see it in the folder in which I've stored my psd and ai file. It just seems to go away when I close everything down. BTW- I'm in cs 6 and am using Place command. Many thanks for helping me to understand this.

• 1. Re: Understanding Vector Smart Objects in PSD
          Ronald Keller Level 4

The smart object is embedded in the Photoshop file. When you double-click the layer with the smart object you can further edit it in Illustrator, save, close and go back to Photoshop. The original Illustrator file is not touched. You could even move or delete the Illustrator file without interfering with the embedded file in Photoshop.

That behaviour changed in CC where you can choose between embedding and linking a smart object.

• 2. Re: Understanding Vector Smart Objects in PSD
            karenf1 Level 1

Thanks so much! Apologies for just a little remaining confusion.

If I am in CS 6, then are you saying I can currently delete the ai file and still be ok - that that is how CS6 & Embedding works?

And if so - what are the benefits of the Linking compared to the current Embedding - now available in CC? - again - many thanks!

• 3. Re: Understanding Vector Smart Objects in PSD
              Ronald Keller Level 4

If I am in CS 6, then are you saying I can currently delete the ai file and still be ok - that that is how CS6 & Embedding works?

Yes. You can easily verify this. Move the used AI file to another location via Explorer/Finder so Photoshop won't find it. Open your PSD file and you will see that Photoshop opens the file just fine because there is no connection any more with the original file.

And if so - what are the benefits of the Linking compared to the current Embedding - now available in CC? - again - many thanks!

Say you use the same logo made in Illustrator on many different projects e.g. a letter head, a poster, a business card, whatever. Now your client says: I like all the different layouts but I think I would prefer green text instead of blue text... No problem at all for you, you change it once in the AI file and it will update automatically in all the linked objects.

Obviously in that case, the AI file can not be deleted or moved or Photoshop (and you) will have a heart attack...

• 4. Re: Understanding Vector Smart Objects in PSD
                karenf1 Level 1

Ronald! Many thanks for making that so clear! I can see why the Linking option is so powerful! And thanks for taking the time!

• 5. Re: Understanding Vector Smart Objects in PSD
                  Ronald Keller Level 4

You are welcome!

Ronald