5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 2:28 AM by Eugene Tyson

Why do units of measurement in paragraph tab and character tab differ?

Glu Design Level 1

Why do units of measurement in paragraph tab and character tab differ?

In Indesign CC 2014.1 when I set the units for type to be in points and all other measurements apart from strokes to be in mm, why are the units for the paragraph tab also in mm?

In both Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC, whatever units you assign for type also are used for the paragraph settings, which makes sense.

I want everything to do with type to be in points and pretty much everything else in mm, yet the only way I can have the paragraph tab units as points is for all measurements to be in points!

Does this sound right or is something wrong with my Indesign?

Thanks

Keith

• 1. Re: Why do units of measurement in paragraph tab and character tab differ?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You can use any unit you want in any field. You can insert mm, p, pt, z, Ag and some others. E. g. when I inser 1z and I have the measurement set to mm it will automatically convert to 25,4mm. (Instead of z for inch it might be i to insert, depending on the OS and program language you are using.) So you can insert 1p and it will convert to 12pt or 4,2333mm depending on your settings. You can even use +, -, /, % to calculate.

• 2. Re: Why do units of measurement in paragraph tab and character tab differ?
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Does this sound right or is something wrong with my Indesign?

The indents, spacing and rule dimensions are ruler units, so you can use the unit abbreviations as Willi suggests or Control or right click your rulers and toggle your units to points while are typesetting

• 3. Re: Why do units of measurement in paragraph tab and character tab differ?
              Glu Design Level 1

Ok guys I see. I just wondered why InDesign differed to both Photoshop and Illustrator in this respect.

Thanks

Keith

• 4. Re: Why do units of measurement in paragraph tab and character tab differ?
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

For me it seems the other way around: Photoshop is 'weird' because if you switch the measurements for "Type", all of the measurements in the Character and Paragraph panels are affected... I guess it's what one is used to.

Glu Design wrote:

I just wondered why InDesign differed to both Photoshop and Illustrator in this respect.

Note that InDesign has been designed from the ground up to handle type. The modern Character and Paragraph panels in both Illustrator and Photoshop are "tacked on" with spit and sticky tape, in an half-hearted attempt to equalize the user interface of these three fairly different programs. (And it's the little things they forgot or changed that are the most annoying. Why is the Adobe Paragraph Composer called "Adobe Every-line Composer" in PS? Where is the Glyphs panel? Where are the Underline/Strikethrough options? Where is the Slashed Zero?)

• 5. Re: Why do units of measurement in paragraph tab and character tab differ?
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Glu Design wrote:

Ok guys I see. I just wondered why InDesign differed to both Photoshop and Illustrator in this respect.

Thanks

Keith

They are made by Adobe, and Adobe has different teams for different applications.

Sometimes the same feature in multiple applications is designed slightly differently than the way other teams would handle it.

This may be down to:

Time constraints to get the feature in - compared to other top priority items

Having to make a decision on whether to do it one way or another way - 50/50 type thing

Due to the limitations of how the program was designed and how the feature ties in with other features etc.

And many many more programming reasons. It may be the guy doing the photoshop changes wasn't as well versed in typography needs as the indesign guy.

Who knows - but there are differences in lots of areas between all apps.