13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 5:10 PM by A.T. Romano

Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?

markku_siivola Level 1

When in Windows 8.1 I insert a .VOB file into Adobe Premiere Elements 13 (APE), it unabashedly considers the image size being 540x480, which is too narrow, cutting the sides away from the correct 720x480 image size. No NTSC&PAL project presets of APE with all their diverse image sizes & pixel ratios help to reveal the missing sides of the .VOB image.

On the other hand other programs, among them also the well-known VLC, show the size correctly, i.e. 720x480, showing the whole image area. Even the non-video utilities such as Total Commander, understands the right size of the image being 720x480. But not Adobe!!??

The solution must be simple because why all simple editors & players would be able to show the whole image, which this Adobe's product seems to be completely unable to understand. --- I have doubts that it is me who does not understand something, not Adobe.

• 1. Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu (including the pixel aspect ratio)? You will likely need to manually set up a project to match the specs of your original video.

Is this a widescreen or 4:3 DVD file? (Both widescreen and 4:3 DVDs are 720x480. It's the pixel aspect ratio that makes the difference.)

BTW, the word unabashedly mean non embarrassed. You didn't really expect Premiere Elements to be embarrassed by your DVD, did you?

• 2. Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
            PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

Could you create a new project and then bring in the .VOB file into Premiere Elements 13 timeline? Go to the export room and then check if you see a orange line above the clip (on the timeline). If you still do, can you right click on the clip on the timeline and then select "Show Properties". Let us know what you see in the resulting window.

If you do not, you can now look at the monitor and see if you see the video without borders on the sides or on the top or bottom.

Regards,
            Premiere Elements Team

• 3. Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
              markku_siivola Level 1

I have got a task of converting a video from DVD to a single file mp4 format.

"What are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu (including the pixel aspect ratio)?"

Project settings: I have tried about ten different project settings with diverse frame- and pixel aspect ratios.

"Is this a widescreen or 4:3 DVD file? (Both widescreen and 4:3 DVDs are 720x480. It's the pixel aspect ratio that makes the difference.)"

The original video is unknown to me. It has been made in U.S. with an unknown video camera. Defined only by sight the aspect ratio may be 1.5 or something about those lines.

I have let APE automatically define the parameters (frame dimensions being always incorrect), and I have also manually tested all other pixel aspect ratios in the "Conform to" drop-down menu, getting various black bands  on all sides of the frame, and getting also the (seemingly) correct and incorrect aspect ratios.

But the primary problem remains: the sides (which contain the lateral parts of the image) have seemingly been cast away during loading of the file to APE. 

"BTW, the word unabashedly mean non embarrassed. You didn't really expect Premiere Elements to be embarrassed by your DVD, did you?"

When I inspect the very same .VOB file with other programs, they can see AND SHOW the file correctly, whereas APE does not.

Thus, in fact my conclusion about the psyche of APE is just that: unabashedly, thinking itself to be the king of the hill, it shamelessly continues to misread the frame aspects correctly despite testimonies of the other programs which are able to read the .VOB

P.S. When I tested a different set of .VOB files in other DVDs, APE reads them correctly. So there is something odd in just these problematic VOBs. But shouldn't also APE be able to manage it because some simple programs are capable to do it?

• 4. Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
                markku_siivola Level 1

Please see also my answer to Steve Grisetti.

Summary:  The problem is not black borders, because I can find more than one project settings where there are (practically) no black borders, and also the aspect ratio seems to be (practically) right. But every variant, with and without black borders, with every pixel and frame aspect ratio the same problem remains: no one of them has the video containing sides which are seen immediately without any adjustments in for example VCL (from videolan.org) and Wondershare.

Rendering changes the orange line to green. But the same problem remains: the clip's frame is always the incorrect 540x480, not 720x480 which other programs are capable to show.

I repeat here also my P.S. to Steve Grisetti:

"P.S. When I tested a different set of .VOB files in other DVDs, APE reads them correctly. So there is something odd in just these problematic VOBs. But shouldn't also APE be able to manage it because some simple programs are capable to do it?"

• 5. Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

markku_siivola

If you have concluded your previous discussions in this thread, then please consider the following in trying to get to the core of your VOB Premiere Elements 13 issue. I need answers to each of the following to build a troubleshooting scheme.

Please excuse the questions to follow but I did not want to take anything for granted since you did write

The original video is unknown to me. It has been made in U.S. with an unknown video camera. Defined only by sight the aspect ratio may be 1.5 or something about those lines.

1. What is the full file name of this particular VOB file (Can I assume VTS_01_1.VOB?) From what you can see, does the DVD disc display the full DVD-VIDEO structure or is all you have just a bunch of VOB files that someone has burned to disc as data disc?

2. How are you getting this VOB from the DVD disc into the computer and Premiere Elements 13? Have you copied the file from the disc to a computer hard drive save location and from there imported the file into Premiere Elements (Get Media/Files and Folders)? Or, have you inserted the DVD disc in the DVD burner tray and then used the program's Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer to get the VOB to the Premiere Elements 13 Timeline (Can I presume Expert workspace?)

3. Please download and install the free video/audio properties readout program named MediaInfo and use its Tree View to obtain the comprehensive list of the file's properties.

Either post a screenshot of the readout or tell us what is shows at least for

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

Display Aspect Ratio

MediaInfo | SourceForge.net

4. Check Points that I would like you to confirm for whatever you are doing now..

a. If you right click the file's thumbnail in Expert workspace, select Properties, what does it display for frame size and frame rate?

b. If you right click the file's thumbnail in Expert workspace, select Interpret Footage, what does it display in Frame Rate and in

Pixel Aspect Ratio?

c. If you go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, what is displayed for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio

even if the fields looked grayed out.

May seem like a lot of questions, but all the answers should direct us to the whys?

Thank you for your consideration.

ATR

• 6. Re: Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
                    markku_siivola Level 1

Please excuse the questions to follow but I did not want to take anything for granted since you did write

1. What is the full file name of this particular VOB file (Can I assume VTS_01_1.VOB?)

Yes, VTS_01_1.VOB

From what you can see, does the DVD disc display the full DVD-VIDEO structure or is all you have just a bunch of VOB files that someone has burned to disc as data disc?

VIDEO_TS folder:

VIDEO.TS.BUP

VIDEO.TS.IFO

VIDEO.TS.VOB

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_2.VOB

VTS_01_3.VOB

VTS_01_4.VOB

VTS_01_5.VOB

2. How are you getting this VOB from the DVD disc into the computer and Premiere Elements 13? Have you copied the file from the disc to a computer hard drive save location and from there imported the file into Premiere Elements (Get Media/Files and Folders)?

Directory copy from DVD to computer, from there dragging with mouse but also via Get Media/Files and Folders.

Or, have you inserted the DVD disc in the DVD burner tray and then used the program's Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer to get the VOB to the Premiere Elements 13 Timeline (Can I presume Expert workspace?)

Not sure, most likely tried both ways (just now I do not have access the physical DVD)

3. Please download and install the free video/audio properties readout program named MediaInfo and use its Tree View to obtain the comprehensive list of the file's properties.

Either post a screenshot of the readout or tell us what is shows at least for

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

Display Aspect Ratio

MediaInfo | SourceForge.net

Interesting: Mediainfo says Width: 720 pixels but file's thumbnail properties say: Image wodth is 540 pixels

Mediainfo.png

4. Check Points that I would like you to confirm for whatever you are doing now..

a. If you right click the file's thumbnail in Expert workspace, select Properties, what does it display for frame size and frame rate?

Type: MPEGMovie

File Size: 1024.0 MB

Image Size: 540 x 480

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz-32bitfloating point-Stereo Total Duration:00:15:03:26 Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.1851

b. If you right click the file's thumbnail in Expert workspace, select Interpret Footage, what does it display in Frame Rate and in Pixel Aspect Ratio?

interpret_footage.png

c. If you go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, what is displayed for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio

even if the fields looked grayed out.

Note that I have experimented with many Project settings - this the default setting before inserting any clips

project_settings.png

May seem like a lot of questions, but all the answers should direct us to the whys?

• 7. Re: Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

markku_siivola

Thank you for the very helpful information. At this point, more questions than answers.

1. If we are to believe MediaInfo, everything would seem representative of the typical video file VOB from DVD-VIDEO widescreen that we might expect.

720 x 480

Interlaced Upper Field First - based on the DVD-VIDEO from Premiere Elements I might have expected Lower Field First...but I am discounting that matter for now.

Display Aspect Ratio = 16.9

File Size about 1 GB

But of note:

a. most serious one, the MediaInfo gives a file duration of only 3.889 seconds; whereas Premiere Elements (Properties and Interpret Footage) is calling the file duration =

about 905 seconds.

Did you notice that? Do you see anything I might be overlooking in the time in the comparison between MediaInfo and Premiere Elements?

Right now there seems to be a serious problem with the way Premiere Elements is interpreting that video VOB file (VTS_01_1.VOB).

Major

Frame Rate = 540 x 480 instead of 720 x 480 and

Pixel Aspect Ratio = 1,185 instead of D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1:2121)

Please remind me if

the other VTS files in the series on this same DVD disc are having the same problem? You have already said that your other DVDs are not presenting video VOBs

with this problem. Please confirm that it is only the video files from this one DVD disc that are creating the problem for you. If you have run into this using different DVDs as

well, then we can target an overall troubleshooting program strategy

a. deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (and if necessary the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists)

b. complete uninstall, ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Right now what I need verification on whether or not the other video VOBs on the same DVD are similarly affected.

In this instance, the automatic setting of the project preset by the project is complicating matters. It is cannot determined the correct

project preset and is giving you its default 1080i30 instead of anything closer to 720 x 480.

In moving forward, please set the project preset manually for this project...

Expert workspace

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, set the project preset for NTSC DV Widescreen

OK out of there.

In the New Project dialog that appears next, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

OK out of there.

Back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, import your VOB using Add Media/Files and Folders to get the file into Project Assets from

where you will drag the file to the Timeline.

Check the files Properties and Interpret Footage readings.

Let us pause here to compare notes.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Re: Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
                        markku_siivola Level 1

1. If we are to believe MediaInfo, everything would seem representative of the typical video file VOB from DVD-VIDEO widescreen that we might expect.

720 x 480

Interlaced Upper Field First - based on the DVD-VIDEO from Premiere Elements I might have expected Lower Field First...but I am discounting that matter for now.

Display Aspect Ratio = 16.9

File Size about 1 GB

But of note:

a. most serious one, the MediaInfo gives a file duration of only 3.889 seconds; whereas Premiere Elements (Properties and Interpret Footage) is calling the file duration =

about 905 seconds.

Did you notice that? Do you see anything I might be overlooking in the time in the comparison between MediaInfo and Premiere Elements?

No, I do not see anything you might be overlooking

Right now there seems to be a serious problem with the way Premiere Elements is interpreting that video VOB file (VTS_01_1.VOB).

Major

Frame Rate = 540 x 480 instead of 720 x 480 and

Pixel Aspect Ratio = 1,185 instead of D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1:2121)

Please remind me if the other VTS files in the series on this same DVD disc are having the same problem?

Yes, the other VTS files in the series on this same DVD disc are having the same problem in APE but not in others I tested (VLC and Wondershare).

With closer inspection I noticed that APE cuts away always (i.e. in every possible configuration I have tested) only the RIGHT side of the video. Other three sides are OK. The amount of the cut is 25% of the correct width, which is equivalent with the clip property, the width being 540 instead of the correct width 720. 540 divided by 720 gives 0.75, meaning that only 75% of the width is visible.

You have already said that your other DVDs are not presenting video VOBs

with this problem. Please confirm that it is only the video files from this one DVD disc that are creating the problem for you.

It is only the video files from this one DVD disc that are creating the problem for me.

I tested only one other DVD (not widescreen), which shows the right, undistorted, uncut image, both in APE and in other programs, announcing also the right value of 720 for the width of the image (and Pixel Aspect Ratio 0.9.9i).

If you have run into this using different DVDs as well, then we can target an overall troubleshooting program strategy

a. deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (and if necessary the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists)

b. complete uninstall, ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Right now what I need verification on whether or not the other video VOBs on the same DVD are similarly affected.

The other video VOBs on the same DVD are similarly affected.

In this instance, the automatic setting of the project preset by the project is complicating matters. It cannot determined the correct project preset and is giving you its default 1080i30 instead of anything closer to 720 x 480.

In moving forward, please set the project preset manually for this project...

Expert workspace

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, set the project preset for NTSC DV Widescreen

OK out of there.

In the New Project dialog that appears next, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

OK out of there.

Back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, import your VOB using Add Media/Files and Folders to get the file into Project Assets from

where you will drag the file to the Timeline.

Check the files Properties

Done as instructed:

PROPERTIES

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 1024.0 MB

Image Size: 540 x 480

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

ProjectAudio Format: 48000 Hz-32 bit floating point-Stereo

Total Duration: 00:15:03:26

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.1851

and Interpret Footage readings.

interpret_footage2.png

Let us pause here to compare notes.

• 9. Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

markku_siivola

Thanks for the follow ups.

I need to think about this some more in the morning. But for now

Could you make a copy of your VTS_01_1.VOB, and, on the copy only, rename the file to VTS_01_1.mpeg and then determine the behavior

of that in a NTSC DV Widescreen Premiere Elements project.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
                            markku_siivola Level 1

Project settings: NTSC DV Widescreen:

• with MPG suffix: Project stays at 720x480 but clip is again only 540x480 with 25%  cutoff from right edge.
                            • with VOB suffix: as above

So there seems to be no way (with any project settings) to import the image without losing 25% of it. Whereas VLC & Wondershare do not cut away anything.

Conclusions

1)

Right edge 25% cutting in APE is independent of all pixel- and framewise parameters: the aspect ratio of frames and pixels can be whatever and video can be too wide or too narrow, and black borders surrounding it can be thinner or thicker...

...but in all these cases the image in VLC and Wondershare (& supposedly many others) contains 100% of the image, whereas APE contains in every case (also with MPG suffix)always only 75%.

2)

Other DVDs' .VOB files are handled correctly in APE (= project's setting change automatically to equivalent parameters with the VOB clip parameters (in my first test case from default HD 1080i 1920x1080  to  DV NTSC 720x480 for normal non-widescreen videocamera. In the second test case the project parameters changed correctly to D1/DV PAL widescreen 16:9 720x576).

3)

The culprit? - Which program to blame, then? APE manages other DVDs' files correctly. So, is this problematic DVD the only culprit then, not APE? BUT because other programs do understand these problematic DVD's files, I am  so far inclined to name APEs behavior a bug.

Or do you possible have some interesting diagnostic tools still left in your bag of tricks?

Regardless of how things turn out to be, I want to thank you for painstakingly digging deeply into this problem!

------------------------------------

ADDENDUM: a comparison picture presenting the right side cutoff in APE

right_side_cutoff.png

• 11. Re: Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

markku_siivola

Thanks for the follow ups.

Still thinking about this one. But here is what I am thinking right now... there are arguments for and against the following ideas but worth a rule in or out

a. What happens if you set your project preset for the NTSC DV Widescreen, open the project, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove

the check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size".

b. Then import your VOB into the project.

c. Can you click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the image's bounding box there and drag on one of the bounding box handles to scale the image

to fit into the Edit area monitor space and present with the whole image intact and undistorted (as you want)?

Also, please confirm that, when you right click the Edit area monitor and select Magnification, you see the set that you have been using = "Fit".

I am also thinking of converting the VOB to H.264.mp4 with MPEG Streamclip.

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Windows XP/Vista/7

The duration readings difference bothers me. Besides MediaInfo and Premiere Elements, what other programs are giving you duration and frame size

on these VOBs?

I hesitate to inject deleting Premiere Elements settings file and/or uninstall reinstall of the program since the issue is restricted to this one DVD.

Guess what I just found.....I prefer to keep Premiere Elements questions with Premiere Elements answers, but, since I have not seen your issue presented

in Premiere Elements before and I cannot reproduce it, the following was too good to bypass just because it was a Premiere Pro issue with Premiere Pro answers.

Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Automatically Crops Source Video Upon Import

But, a bug is not a perfect explanation for me since for me a bug is one that does not discriminate between one DVD from all the rest. Food for thought.

More later.

ATR

• 12. Re: Re: Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
                                markku_siivola Level 1
                                1. What happens if you set your project preset for the NTSC DV Widescreen, open the project, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove

the check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size".

1. Then import your VOB into the project.
                                2. Can you click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the image's bounding box there and drag on one of the bounding box handles to scale the image

to fit into the Edit area monitor space and present with the whole image intact and undistorted (as you want)?

Also, please confirm that, when you right click the Edit area monitor and select Magnification, you see the set that you have been using = "Fit".

I can do all a, b and c procedures, but they do not help. Removing "Default scale to frame size", Magnification "fit" and scaling the image by dragging do not help.  25% of the image's right edge is gone despite the zooming level.

I am also thinking of converting the VOB to H.264.mp4 with MPEG Streamclip.

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Windows XP/Vista/7

MPEG Streamclip does not install in my computer, but I have already converted the same problematic VOB file directly to H.264 mp4 file with Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate. The resulting mp4 file has not lost anything, being 100% copy of the VOB file.

Conclusion: APE may not be buggy but somewhat lean on resources, being unable to convert some VOB subvariant, which most other programs, even modest ones, seem to manage OK.

The duration readings difference bothers me. Besides MediaInfo and Premiere Elements, what other programs are giving you duration and frame size on these VOBs?

VTS_01_1.VOB

1) TOTAl COMMANDER

Video

Length        00:00:03

Frame width        720

Frame height        480

Data rate        9334kbps

Total bitrate        9718kbps

Frame rate        29 frames/second

Audio       

Bit rate        384kbps

Channels        2 (stereo)

Audio sample rate        48 kHz

2) WONDERSHARE VIDEO CONVERTER ULTIMATE

Source File:

Format: DVD

Size 3.3GB

Duration: 01:03:35

Resolution: 720*480

3) VLC MEDIA PLAYER

o        Stream 0

Type: Video

Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)

Resolution: 720x480

Frame rate: 29.970029

Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV

o        Stream 1

Type: Subtitle

Codec: (cc1 )

Description: Closed captions 1

o        Stream 2

Codec: (cc2)

Description: Closed captions 2

o        Stream 3

Codec: (cc3 )

Description: Closed captions 3

o        Stream 4

Codec: (cc4)

Description: Closed captions 4

o        Stream 5

Type: Audio

Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52 )

Channels: Stereo

Sample rate: 48000 Hz

Bitrate: 384 kb/s

I hesitate to inject deleting Premiere Elements settings file and/or uninstall reinstall of the program since the issue is restricted to this one DVD.

I think that there are many similar DVDs flowing around the world, because a) many users never find the flaw (from APE's point of view) because (many of) their editor programs manage this kind of "problem files", and b) there must be quite a big number of users with similar DVDs, but who never (understand to) come and complain about them in these Premiere forums.

Guess what I just found.....I prefer to keep Premiere Elements questions with Premiere Elements answers, but, since I have not seen your issue presented

in Premiere Elements before and I cannot reproduce it, the following was too good to bypass just because it was a Premiere Pro issue with Premiere Pro answers.

Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Automatically Crops Source Video Upon Import

Extremely interesting thread, which proves, also with images, that this totally, 100%, very same bug/incompatibilty/whatever is buried deep into Adobe Premiere's structure, be it Elements or Professional, nobody being able to squish this whateveritis.

But, a bug is not a perfect explanation for me since for me a bug is one that does not discriminate between one DVD from all the rest. Food for thought.

Because of above two reasons (a & b), where there is one DVD, there must be many, which transform the nature of this inability towards a more serious one. God knows how many users are trying hours after hours in vain to solve this unsolvable problem.

But I have not yet given up hope... let's continue to ring the beast in!

(P.S.

You surely have hands full with everything else, but if you happen to see any idea in getting the problem VOB file for studying, I could send the address of it to you for download. (I cannot reveal it publicly in the forum, because I don't know if the persons in it would give their permission for public sharing). )

• 13. Re: Why is Adobe Premiere Elements 13 unable to understand .VOB file image size?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

markku_siivola

Thanks for all the additional information and insights.

If there are others out there with this 540 x 480 syndome, besides the Premiere Pro user in the thread cited, I would hope that your thread would encourage them to

come forward. No news is not always good news. Or, no news could mean there is no news.

Although the Wondershare software appears to be your means to salvage this DVD-VIDEO on DVD for your purposes as H.264.mp4 file, I am

still not convinced on the right or wrong of this. The "genuine" VTS_01_1.VOB should not have a file size greater than 0.99 GB. So, although

Wondershare is giving "the right" 720 x 480 frame size, why is it telling us that the file size is 3.3 GB?

And the VLC Player which is getting the frame size 720 x 480 "right" is showing a file duration of 3 seconds?

Since this started out apparently as DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc, I wonder if any of this goes to the writing of a file header

flag instruction that was supposed to stretch the video for display after encoding? Guesses.

Right now I would ask for a rain check on looking at the VTS file first hand. Instead, our greatest gain might be met by trying to find out

what device recorded this particular DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc and any other information on how this DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc was created.

ATR