11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2006 8:13 AM by Newsgroup_User

hit counters

Kenny Stringer
      I want to keep track of traffic to my site without it being visible on the site and without having to employ any 3rd party. Can I do this using DW?
        • 1. Re: hit counters
          Level 7
          No, you should check with your server and see what type of statistics
          packages they have. You should have something included in your hosting that
          will do this for you.

it's not a DW thing, it's a server thing. (you could do it in DW, but no
          reason).

Jon

"Kenny Stringer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ej06hb$q4h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I want to keep track of traffic to my site without it being visible on the
          >site and without having to employ any 3rd party. Can I do this using DW?

• 2. Re: hit counters
            Level 7
            On 09 Nov 2006 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Kenny Stringer wrote:

> I want to keep track of traffic to my site without it being visible
            > on the site and without having to employ any 3rd party. Can I do
            > this using DW?

No; it's not a Dreamweaver function. But you probably already have the
            information you need. Ask your hosting provider about raw log files, and
            whether or not they provide you with a logfile analyzer. (If they don't,
            look for a new host.)

--
            Joe Makowiec
            http://makowiec.net/
            Email: http://makowiec.net/email.php
            • 3. Re: hit counters
              Kenny Stringer Level 1
              quote:

it's not a DW thing, it's a server thing. (you could do it in DW, but no
              reason).

Jon, I want to do it in DW, how please...K

• 4. Re: hit counters
                Level 7
                Setup a database/file and update a field with each visitor.

"Kenny Stringer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:ej0bta$2sp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >
                quote:

> it's not a DW thing, it's a server thing. (you could do it in DW, but no
                > reason).
                >

>
                > Jon, I want to do it in DW, how please...K
                >
                >

• 5. Re: hit counters
                  Kenny Stringer Level 1
                  hmmm. Please forgive my ignorance, but this answer is over my head. Can you please give me the moron version? :) thanks...K
                  • 6. Re: hit counters
                    bregent Most Valuable Participant
                    >hmmm. Please forgive my ignorance, but this answer is over my head.
                    > Can you please give me the moron version? :) thanks...K

Create a database and build the tables to store the visitor details. Create a dynamic page(s) using the server side scripting language that you are familiar with, and when the page loads you write the details you capture in your script to the database. Simple.

Or, do what others suggest and use the better alternative - log files on your server. Did you contact your host?
                    • 7. Re: hit counters
                      Level 7
                      You could use Google Analytics, give you a huge amount of information about
                      your visitors, and theres nothing visible on the page to show its being
                      used. Its all free!

Goes much more in depth than just giving a visitor count, and shows where
                      your visitors are from, how many are returning visitors, most popular pages
                      etc etc etc

--
                      Gareth
                      http://www.phploginsuite.co.uk/
                      PHP Login Suite V2 - 34 Server Behaviors to build a complete Login system.

• 8. hit counters
                        Kenny Stringer Level 1
                        Thanks Gareth. I found something similar called ActiveMeter which does the same thing. It's a great free service. Seems to be the best choice of the alternatives. (although, admittedly it does employ a 3rd party, which I had initially said I wanted to avoid. But I'm pleased with this one)
                        • 9. Re: hit counters
                          bregent Most Valuable Participant
                          >although, admittedly it does employ a 3rd party, which I had initially said I wanted to avoid

Did you check with your host to see if they provide you with free site statistics? Many do.
                          • 10. Re: hit counters
                            Level 7
                            .oO(gareth)

>You could use Google Analytics, give you a huge amount of information about
                            >your visitors, and theres nothing visible on the page to show its being
                            >used.

Do you really want to feed such informations to a data mining company?

>Its all free!

It just costs your privacy.

>Goes much more in depth than just giving a visitor count, and shows where
                            >your visitors are from, how many are returning visitors, most popular pages
                            >etc etc etc

Combine that with the data of all the other "free" Google services and
                            you have the perfect user profile.

No, I'm not paranoid. I just don't trust them.

Micha
                            • 11. Re: hit counters
                              Level 7
                              yup!

What you need:

1. What server side language does your server support (likely none if
                              they're not giving you stats, but you might be lucky)
                              2. Script to capture Ip's and date/time, along with any other information
                              3. Script to update database with inputs for unique users
                              4. Script to build page to display results (depending on what you're looking
                              for) (PHP would be great for their graphics/chart creation stuff)

It's going to be a lot of work, though. You would be better suited finding
                              a new host if they aren't providing you with this, as it's pretty standard.

"wowser" <friedfood@ralph.coco> wrote in message
                              news:ej0c5h$358$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Setup a database/file and update a field with each visitor.
                              >
                              > "Kenny Stringer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              > news:ej0bta$2sp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >>
                              quote:

>> it's not a DW thing, it's a server thing. (you could do it in DW, but no
                              >> reason).
                              >>

>>
                              >> Jon, I want to do it in DW, how please...K
                              >>
                              >>
                              >
                              >