5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 12:31 PM by dj_paige

missing Lightroom adjustments

tonybr1973

Hello,

I recently had to have a new hard drive installed on my iMac when the old one packed up. Luckily all my photos and the lightroom cat were on an external hard drive.I downloaded and installed light room 5 and then imported all my photos but none of the adjustments are there. Have i lost them some how? Can i get them back?

• 1. Re: missing Lightroom adjustments
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

The "then imported all my photos" is where you went wrong.  Your adjustments were in the Lightroom Catalog LRCAT file.   It sounds like you installed LR, created a new catalog and then imported fresh.  Instead, you need to have your fresh copy of Lightroom open your LRCAT that was stored on the External Hard Drive as it contains the edit information.

• 2. Re: missing Lightroom adjustments
            tonybr1973 Level 1

Ok cheers can i put this right somehow?

• 3. Re: missing Lightroom adjustments
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Locate the catalog on your external hard drive using your system browser and double-click on it. Lightroom will start and will use that catalog. If that is the catalog that contains all of your adjustments, then everything should be as you expect.

• 4. Re: missing Lightroom adjustments
                tonybr1973 Level 1

Ive tried that. I think i may have made a second error by upgrading the lightroom 4 catalogue for use with lightroom 5..... not sure how i managed this but when i now open the lightroom 4 cat instead of my 17000 photos there are only 13! lesson learnt. it annoying but not not time for a total meltdown.

• 5. Re: missing Lightroom adjustments
                  dj_paige Level 9

tonybr1973 wrote:

Ive tried that. I think i may have made a second error by upgrading the lightroom 4 catalogue for use with lightroom 5..... not sure how i managed this but when i now open the lightroom 4 cat instead of my 17000 photos there are only 13! lesson learnt. it annoying but not not time for a total meltdown.

This isn't how Lightroom works. Your Lightroom 4 catalog with 17000 photos remans unchanged, and you should be able to open it in Lightroom 4 (although I'm not sure why you'd want to use Lightroom 4 any more if you have Lightroom 5).

In either case, if you have opened the "wrong" catalog, use File->Open Recent to open other catalogs