3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 10:51 AM by GeghamB

Single Dev Environment and Code Line for 6 and CC?

mlavie Level 1

Hi All,

Up until now, we were developing for customers who only used InDesign CS5.5 and CS6 - using Extension Builder 2.1.

The problem is that now a new customer only has CC 2014.1 (they just purchased it today). I found one hack how to create an Extension using 2.1 for CC 2014/2014.1. However, this hack doesn't support HostAdapters, which we require as we want to control the fly panel of the panel menu.

Also, I think CC 2014.1 supports only HTML5 panels. Does that mean a total re-write of all our code? And since CS6 does not support HTML5 panels - do we now have to maintain 2 parallel code lines until the last of our customers migrates to CC???

I'd appreciate any advice.

Regards,

mlavie

• 1. Re: Single Dev Environment and Code Line for 6 and CC?
          DBarranca Level 4

Hi,

I can't speak about InDesign for the HostAdapters, but for the total re-write of all your code part... I guess you're right. If you're going to support both Flash and HTML panels, you need to develop them independently (at least for the panel itself - the actual scripting can be moved easily).

Have you checked here for the adapters? Adobe CEP Resources by Adobe-CEP

Regards,

Davide Barranca

---

www.davidebarranca.com

www.cs-extensions.com

• 2. Re: Single Dev Environment and Code Line for 6 and CC?
            mlavie Level 1

Hi Davide,

Thanks for the response.

If I may ask a follow-up question:

All our code was written in ActionScript. I'm talking tens of thousands of lines of code in ActionScript. To support CC 2014 and later, must we rewrite all our code from scratch - converting it manually to JavaScript?

TIA,

mlavie

• 3. Re: Single Dev Environment and Code Line for 6 and CC?
              GeghamB

Hi mlavie,

You're no need to rewrite tens of thousands code.

You are free to use any UI framework that suits your needs.

As I understood, Adobe supporting only Photoshop HostAdapter in Extension builder 3 for now, so in any case, in my opinion, only HTML will not give a solution to your problem.

Instead you can write your own "HostAdapter" using Adobe Illustrator CC 2014 SDK, and connect it with your (Flash/Flex)extension. (check samples with Notifiers, it will help)

According to InDesign, It's strange, because everything works smoothly for me. Can you write more detailed about that?

ps, sorry for bad English.

Best Regards,

Gegham