7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 1:26 PM by A.T. Romano

convert prel to avi

staninvancouver

I am new to Premier. How do I convert the PREL format into an AVI?

• 1. Re: convert prel to avi
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A prel is a Premiere Elements project file. An AVI is a media file. They're two very different things.

But you can output an AVI from a Premiere Elements project. How you do it depends on which version of the program you're using and on what operating system you're working.

If you're using version 13 on Windows, you go to Publish & Share/Computer/AVI.

However it's worth noting that there are dozens of types of AVI, so which AVI codec you use depends on how you plan to use the file you're outputting.

In other words, those are the general steps. But we'll need a lot more details from you in order to give a specific answer.

Does that help?

By the way, if you'd like some basic information on Premiere Elements and how it works, you may want to check out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series.

Premiere Elements Basic Training

• 2. Re: convert prel to avi
            staninvancouver Level 1

Thank you Steve. I have Premier 12. That option does not exist.

When I go to Publish Share there are six options from Private Web to Mobile. No SAVE AS or Convert to AVI.

I have already purchased three Adobe products over the past few years so upgrading to 13 is not going to happen

Any ideas what I should try next?

I assumed it would be an automatic and simple process. Perhaps I am in the wrong screen.

Cheers from Vancouver

• 3. Re: convert prel to avi

Assuming you are working on a Windows computer (you still haven't said), you need to go to Publish & Share and then select the Computer option, as I said earlier.

In the set of Computer outputs you will find the AVI output listed.

But, as I've said, which AVI output you use depends on how you're going to use the AVI you output.

• 4. Re: convert prel to avi
                staninvancouver Level 1

Thank you again Steve

Working on Sony Vaio. Windows 7. Three year old computer.

The Adobe software is legit. I purchased it a few months ago and just

installed it. Elements works fine. It is only this one part of Premier that

I can figure out.

I will keep at it an advise.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers from Vancouver, Canada

On Monday, October 13, 2014, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: convert prel to avi
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

• 6. Re: convert prel to avi

As well as the links to my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials listed above.

• 7. Re: convert prel to avi
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

staninvancourver

If you have Premiere Elements 12 Timeline that you want to export to a file with an .avi file extension, then you best go

to Expert workspace, Publish+Share/Computer/AVI and set the Presets to the appropriate setting.

Appears  you have been told that already. What I suspect is being overlooked is the fact that once you get to Publish+Share/Computer/AVI

you need to scroll down (using thin scroll bar to the right of the choices) to get to AVI. If you do not, all you will see is

Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and AVCHD.

AVI.JPG

Please let us know if any of the above in this post is the information that you sought. If not, please more details.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...we can review the details of your workflow (import, edit, export) if necessary.