7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 2:05 PM by ECBowen

2014 Workstation Build

kgyalla

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

I am currently a mac user that will be switching to windows for my workstation build. I am deciding to go with a 5960x workstation build from Origin PC. My reasoning for this compared to doing my own build pretty much boils down to support. Origin is offering a 3 year warranty and pretty decent pricing when compared to HP options. I repeat, I know that my own build would be cheaper but I need to have support and that is why I am going with a US based custom builder. Here is my current build setup.

• ASUS X99 Deluxe
      • ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 360 Sealed Liquid Cooling Systems
      • Overclocked Intel Extreme Core i7 5960X Octo-Core (3.6GHz - 4.7GHz)
      • FREE 1KW EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 w/ Single Nvidia TitanZ Purchase
      • Single 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan Z
      • ORIGIN Professional Graphics Card Overclocking
      • 32GB Corsair LPX 2133MHz (4x8GB)
      • Genuine MS Windows 8.1 Professional 64-Bit Edition
      • RAID 0: For better speed and performance (2 Identical OS Drives Required)
      • 250GB Samsung 840 Evo Series
      • 250GB Samsung 840 Evo Series
      • 5 Bay Hot-Swap Cage
      • 16X Blu-ray Burner
      • Hard Drive Mounts
      • 40-in-1 Media Card Reader
      • On Board High Definition 8-Channel Audio
      • Onboard Network Port
      • ORIGIN Wooden Crate Armor
      • 3 Year Part Replacement and Free Shipping Warranty with Lifetime Labor/24-7 Support
      • ORIGIN Recovery USB3.0 Flash Drive
      • 3 Year Evolve Part Upgrade Service with Free Shipping

Highlighted in red, I just had a few questions regarding the components here.

Currently, Origin is having massive discounts on their Titan Z cards. The cards come with a huge amount of Cuda Cores (above 5400) and 12 gigs of Vram. I know that performance scales in a non linear way with SlI configurations, the alternatives I was looking at were a dual 980 setup. Aside from negligible pricing, which would be better for Adobe Premiere/ After Effects? Even with two faster cards, the cuda/vram amount is still significantly higher than the dual sli 980 combo.

Thanks again for all the help!

Kris

• 1. Re: 2014 Workstation Build
          JFPhoton Level 3

as far as I know, Premiere Pro does NOT support SLI....but, rather WILL use BOTH video cards....provided they are using the SAME driver. The performance gain is LIMITED and applies to some functions more than others. See Eric Bowens BENCHMARK results for the Haswell E CPU he has posted in this forum to get an idea of how one,or, with two cards tested.

Don't use EVO......use the Samsung Pro 850 series SSDS..... the EVOs do not have the same controller and will not perform as well with writes.

• 2. Re: 2014 Workstation Build
            TimvandenOever

Do you have an old set of hard drives to swap in yourself? I'm not sure how I feel about the benefits of raid 0 for an OS volume either, perhaps some other people can say more of that as I've always been a pretty conservative builder myself.

• 3. Re: 2014 Workstation Build
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

If you get an SSD drive, a raid 0 wont increase performance for OS instruction much if at all. I would just get 1 of the better SSD drives such as the Samsung 850 Pro and call it a day.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: 2014 Workstation Build
                kgyalla Level 1

Hi Eric,

Thank you for that tidbit, very much appreciated. Origin will be giving me a TB connection to use with my external raid so this should work out great. Eventually I would like to look into a M2 storage solution as well.

As for the GPU, do you think a titan z would be a better solution over the sli 980 combo when it comes to cs6?

Kris

• 5. Re: 2014 Workstation Build

No the 980GTX at this point would be better with the lower power and heat besides the HDMi 2.0. I would wait for 900 series Titans before you go that route.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: 2014 Workstation Build
                    kgyalla Level 1

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the advice. Now I know SLI has depreciated gains in a linear fashion. Do you think premiere will use both gtx980s or even 3 of them for any of it's tasks?

Kris

• 7. Re: 2014 Workstation Build

Premiere CC 2014 only uses 2 cards on rendering. It will not use more than 2 and will be limited to 1 for playback.

Eric

ADK