5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 2:45 AM by Yukay

How do I print 3 up different sizes on a A3+ sheet in LR 5?

Yukay Level 1

I have 3 colour images that I want to print together on a A3+ sheet printer.  They are all different sizes, 2 portrait and one landscape.  How do I make a template to do this please?  I am using Lightroom 5. Thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I print 3 up different sizes on a A3+ sheet in LR 5?
          richardplondon Level 4

In the Print module, the top right panel is "Layout Style". Changing this to "Picture Package" allows you to place multiple examples of a given image onto the same page, at varying sizes as desired. "Custom Package" allows placing examples of different images in an even freer one-off way - but Picture Package sets up for a single image, and does the same again for a second image, and so on systematically.

The "Image Settings" control white margins around the images, keyline borders, whether the images should auto-rotate when portrait or landscape (remembering that the same printing setup can be used with a whole batch of different images all in one go), and how photos should be fitted into a box of a certain aspect - auto-scale to fit inside, leaving borders as necessary, or else "zoom to fill" which auto-crops to leave no empty border. In the latter case, the image can be moved around within this auto-crop by holding Ctl (Command) and dragging.

Right-click (Cmd+click) on a cell to get the options to rotate 90deg or delete.

The "Cells" panel provides a series of (user customisable) buttons to add new image instances at standard / custom sizes, and sliders to further adjust their size (or you can just drag them interactively).

Of course, you will have first selected your printer, page settings and page margins etc as normal. The starting point for that can be a previously made print preset, but if that preset refers to the wrong option in Layout Style, you will need to change this. And as appropriate, save your own new print preset so as to recall and re-use your page layout with some other photo in the future.

• 2. Re: How do I print 3 up different sizes on a A3+ sheet in LR 5?
            Yukay Level 1

Thanks Richard for a very detailed reply … I shall have a try and post back!

• 3. Re: How do I print 3 up different sizes on a A3+ sheet in LR 5?
              Yukay Level 1

Used custom package and it worked superbly.  Once I got the hang of dragging each image into the work area and sizing etc it worked perfectly.  However one problem I have now is how to save this format for a possible redo some days after, or do I have to start from scratch?  I notice that once I depart from the final 3 up page set up and then return it does not show, only an enlarged single image.  I have saved the template and also in "collections" but once I exit this template and later return I do not see the three images set up as I completed it. Any ideas? 

Anyway thanks again!

• 4. Re: How do I print 3 up different sizes on a A3+ sheet in LR 5?
                richardplondon Level 4

one problem I have now is how to save this format for a possible redo some days after, or do I have to start from scratch?  I notice that once I depart from the final 3 up page set up and then return it does not show, only an enlarged single image.  I have saved the template and also in "collections" but once I exit this template and later return I do not see the three images set up as I completed it. Any ideas? 

Saving a given Custom Package as a template, just saves the page with a layout of boxes. You can drag any images you like into these boxes, for the future - that is the purpose of a template.

If you want to save such a layout with particular chosen pictures placed into the boxes - select "create saved print" at top of screen. This makes a print collection under whatever name you specify. You might have several of these, each referring to the same (or a different) custom page layout, with different pictures placed.

AFAICT the saved print preserves basically a whole print job, including print settings etc.

• 5. Re: How do I print 3 up different sizes on a A3+ sheet in LR 5?
                  Yukay Level 1

I am now understanding better.  But I assume when you "save for print" you first have to select a target folder.  Up to now I have just selected "smart collections" as the target list is limited, which works ok and saves the particular combination for any future sizing amendments. I shall continue experimenting.  Thanks again.