6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 2:01 PM by A.T. Romano

File size is way too large!

dfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdferere

I have about 6 hours of video footage in a Premiere Elements project. What I notice is that when I export the entire movie, its about 4 Gb in size. But when I edit it down considerably to about a 20 minute video and then export it, the file size is still about 4 Gb even though the video only runs for 20 minutes. Is there a setting that somehow is supposed to delete the excess stuff? Or am I doing something wrong? It takes several hours to upload these to YouTube. And of the 6 hours of footage I will make about 15 videos that are about 20 minutes long each, so this is a problem that I can't ignore.

I can understand that the rendering will still take a long time because Premiere has to cycle through the entire length of the original videos, but when they are exported, the file size should be more or less linearly correlated with the length of the video, all else being equal, right?

• 1. Re: File size is way too large!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It all depends on the file specs -- codec, compression level, bit rate, frame rate, etc.

Just because a file has the same suffix as another file does not mean that what's inside is by any means identical.

• 2. Re: File size is way too large!
            dfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdferere Level 1

I understand that, but if everything were the same (I'm using the same source file and the same CODEC), then wouldn't a shorter video have a smaller file size than a longer one (if the shorter one had 80% of the original footage clipped out)? My sense is that even after rendering, there must be a way to "throw away" the stuff that's not part of the final, exported video, no?

• 3. Re: File size is way too large!
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yep. As I said, it depends on the compression level and bit rate as well as the codec.

• 4. Re: File size is way too large!
                A.T. Romano Level 7

df

Considerations

Based on your details so far (and pointing to your post numbered 2 in this thread), I would suggest that the answers that you seek in this specific instance are probably targeted at the bitrate. What is the overall bitrate of what you have imported into the project?

So, please consider the following speculations from how I interpreted your question.

I am reading that you have a Premiere Elements project from which you export to file using a specific customized export set. You get a file size for that video export.

Afterward, you go back to the Timeline of this same project. This time you cut and delete 80% of the Timeline video. When you go to export it with the specific customized export

set that you used for export of the whole, the file of the export obtained should have a smaller file size. Is that what you have done essentially and found otherwise?

That is the only question that I thought you asked.

But, please consider if the following is applying to your situation - one variable at a time.

a. If your video source has a higher bitrate than the bitrate of the export settings, then the estimated file size of the export would be expected to be smaller than the original.

b. If your video source has a smaller bitrate than the bitrate of the export settings, then the estimated file size of the export would be expected to be greater than the original.

and so on through the variables and various assortments of them.

Under "b" condition, the intent of the cut delete may be overshadowed by the higher bitrate of the export?

Other Considerations

You wrote

Is there a setting that somehow is supposed to delete the excess stuff?

After you edit your Timeline, are you doing cuts and Delete or Delete and Close Gap? If so, what is this excess stuff that you want to delete?

I am wondering if you a trying to use the selectively export Timeline content workflow and are not doing that correctly.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: File size is way too large!
                  dfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdferere Level 1

Thank you. This is very helpful, but begets additional explanation.

In MS PowerPoint, when you delete a large object (such as a large image), the file size doesn't change until you compress it (a function from within PPT). I'm a total novice to video editing, and I assumed something similar might be going on in Premiere.

As to your comments about the bit rate, etc. I understand what you are asking, but I don't know the answer. I'm dealing with 16 mm movies that were converted to VHS which were then converted to .avi files and now I'm editing them and turning them into .mp4 files...so I'm totally lost on the bit rate.

In the end, these are not professional issues, and the quality of my output is fine, its just taking so LONG that I figured I must be doing something wrong, especially in light of the fact (as you correctly described) by keeping everything the same and then deleting 80% of the footage, I'm not saving anywhere near 80% of the file size.

I got into this predicament because I have a bunch of movie clips (dozens) that are inside one file. There doesn't seem to be a way within Premiere Elements to copy clips between projects. So I've got this big hairball file with dozens of clips (of sporting events, vacations, family picnics, parades, etc.)--over 5 hours in total--and I want to make smaller thematic videos (like all of the athletic events concatenated together). These smaller videos are about 20 minutes each, but the file sizes are still several Gb and takes upwards of 8 hours on a reasonable cable internet connection to get them onto YouTube. Doing that once is OK, but not 20 times.

Any additional advice is much appreciated.

• 6. Re: File size is way too large!
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

df

What you are bringing into Premiere Elements with an .avi file extension? Do you have time to download and install the free MediaInfo video/audio properties readout program?

If so, what is the bitrate listed there, frame size, frame rate also? Our focus is the properties of those .avi files.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

And, when you go to export your Timeline .avi file to an .mp4 export, what are the specific settings in Publish+Share/Computer/...and...then what Preset, Advanced Settings?

I am looking to account for gains and losses in file size as you progress through your workflow to your export.

Did you say what computer operating system your Premiere Elements is running on? And, what version of Premiere Elements are you using? If you have a Windows computer operating system, you might want to explore ClipMate (Windows Only) in conjunction with Premiere Elements for copy/paste insert between Premiere Elements projects.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

Thanks.

ATR