1 2 Previous Next 47 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2017 5:39 PM by Felasco

Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track

Nitetymme Level 1

Motion tracking in elements 13 doesn't work

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
          PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

Could you post a screen-grab video of the problem and upload it to dropbox? You can then either post the dropbox link to this forum thread or you can mail it to us at prehelp@adobe.com? We want to understand under what scenario it fails.

Thanks,
          Premiere Elements Team

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Nitetymme

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

The following link is a video tutorial on Motion Tracking which is listed under Adobe TV Premiere Elements 13 video tutorials, but which

has been demo'd with version 12 instead. Be that as it may, we will go with same principles and steps. Please review what is being done in the video to assure

that you are not overlooking any steps.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements/motion-tracking/

Where in the workflow does Motion Tracking in Premiere Elements 13 not work? At what step?

Have you looked at different videos and other objects to track someone or something in the video?

Also, please check out my blog post on Motion Tracking and see if there anything in it that is of interest and which

will get you moving forward with Premiere Elements Motion Tracking.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Motion Tracking/What To Use To Track Object?

We will be watching for your follow up and then consider what next.

Thank you.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
              jonnyguitar88 Level 1

I have also found that the tracking in premier elements 13 isn't working. I get to the point where I have dropped the graphic onto the video, at which point the yellow rectangle should turn blue, to show that the graphic (speech bubble in my case) is attached to the object in motion, but the rectangle stays yellow, and when I click "Done" the graphic remains fixed and not tracking. Did you get a fix for this?

Windows 8.1 on Dell XPS 8700 64 bit.

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jonnyguitar88

I am still working with the Premiere Elements 13 Windows tryout. And, with that I am encountering intermittently the type of Motion Tracking behavior

that you have observed. In my case, it is not a case of color contrast between object in frame and object tracking object in frame, since

I have the opportunity to do a comparison between various versions of Premiere Elements that also have a Motion Tracking feature.

In Premiere Elements 13 Motion Tracking, I have noticed is Tools Menu/Motion Tracking

a. Select Object

b. Track Object - Yellow Frame

c. When I drag a thought bubble from Graphics to the yellow frame, it does not always turn blue immediately. And, I tend to release the click of the click drag that brought the graphic to the yellow frame, and then the Text dialog for the bubble pops up. It may be the timing of all that which is leading to the problem.

d. If and when, the "elements" are OK, then the thought bubble does seem to be doing the job of tracking the object in the frame.

Please review your steps and determine if any of the above applies to your situation.

Also, if you are adding your tracking object from Graphics, try an object from another area of the program as detailed in my blog post. Does that

make a difference?

We will be watching for your further results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                  jonnyguitar88 Level 1

Thanks ATR, I have tried various graphics, including video clips, none work, I have been on this most of the day. However, I will try to alter the timings of my actions and see if this makes a difference. I have never yet had the text editing appear for the speech bubble.

I assume that when the motion tracking is applied, it does this by creating keyframes, which normally you can see in your clip, and I cannot see any keyframes.

Will get back to you on progress.

• 6. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                    jonnyguitar88 Level 1

Ok, I have tried again with another clip, and another graphic, but no joy. Just one other thought, I still have premier 11 installed, I guess there is no way that this could be causing a problem, seeing as 11 didn't have the tracking feature?

Also, any problems relating to my NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650 Ti  ?

• 7. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jonnyguitar88

It is worthwhile for you to look at Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Motion Tracking for your comparison to Premiere Elements 13 Motion Tracking? If so.....

For this, you do not have to uninstall Premiere Elements 13; just leaved it closed.

Download and install the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 tryout from the following web site.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

The key to success in this route is to read and carry out carefully that web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions" beforehand to avoid getting stuck with an

Access Denied message.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks you for the follow ups.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                        jonnyguitar88 Level 1

Ok, I downloaded trial version of PE12, and the motion tracking kind of worked, at least the rectangle now changes to blue every time, but the downside is that objects are only partially tracked, as the speech bubble gets left behind and doesn't stay with the subject. I have tried different videos and the result is the same, I have even adjusted contrast / brightness etc. I have come to the conclusion that the motion tracking just aint that good, and will uninstall 12 trial, and get a refund for 13. I will revert to my PE11.

A pity that it won't work in 13, obviously it isn't anything to do with my setup, as it worked in 12.

Just a note on Adobe support, I tried to get technical chat help, but was told that PE isn't supported through chat, and I have to go through the forums, and although you have tried to help, there is little help out there for PE13 motion tracking, and Adobe obviously are not interested in giving technical support unless we are spending money on the high-end stuff!

I have been using video editing software for years - Pinnacle / Sony Vegas, and I am not a novice.

Thanks once again for your efforts on this subject.

Regards

John

• 9. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                          Joshua L Level 1

I am seeing some issue when I try to connect the ClipArts on the yellow box (on the very first frame from where the tracking starts). But if I am attaching the clip art to the later frames, it works fine.

Also, I am selecting the yellow box first, On selecting it, it turns blue and then I drag and drop the ClipArt to attach it to the targeted box. Have you tried this?

• 10. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                            jonnyguitar88 Level 1

Thanks for that Joshua, but I have tried just about everything, been on it for two days now, and never get past the yellow box stage, no matter what I do. I have tried 5 different clips, nearly all of the graphics. The box just never turns blue. It is a problem with PE13, and I am now uninstalling it.

Thanks once again

John

• 11. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

jonnyguitar88

Thanks for the updates.

I have just seen joshua L's observations on the use of the Premiere Elements 13 Motion Tracking feature and will be looking forward to learning of your results with those suggestions.

Interestingly, I find that I cannot get the feature to work with the Thought Bubbles if click on the yellow frame to turn it blue and then click drag the graphic from Graphics to near or into this blue frame. When I do gain success, it is using the usual technique which depends on the arrival of the graphic at the yellow frame to turn it blue. Success here is measured in the Thought Bubble tracking the object in the video, with the perk of have the wanted text in the bubble..

But whatever the case, what does go unexplained is why you are not getting the Change Text dialog the minute you release the click of the graphic click drag at the frame.

The appearance of PRE_help in this thread is a positive sign of Adobe interest in the matter. It is hoped that we will see PRE_help and/or Adobe Staff

in this thread beyond post 1. This is a user to user forum. Timing of Adobe appearances here is undefined.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for the follow ups which are helpful to all.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                AlcoBoersma Level 1

I have just bought premiere elements 13 and have the same problem. With premiere elements 10 i had no problems but that one is not working with my new graphic card (Nvidia GTX 970) so thats why i bought premiere elements 13

My system specs are:

I7 2600K

8 GB ram

Nvidia GTX 970

• 13. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Glad that you are getting involved in Premiere Elements 13 Motion Tracking which is not always going through the frame color change (orange to blue) as the tracking object is dragged toward the orange frame. This is been reported in many of the threads already.

This is not a matter of the nature of the image in which an object in the image is being tracked by a graphic or the like.

If you compare the Motion Tracking feature of version 12 and 13 on the same computer (mine Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit), you can see the difference.

There are some instances where the feature appears to work, but there is no consistency to when and why.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

AlcoBoersma

Please see my updated reply to PRE_help who has not returned to this thread since post 1.

I was hoping for some follow up from PRE_help to give us some perspective on Premiere Elements 13 Motion Tracking.

If you purchased from Adobe direct and you are within 30 days of purchase and Motion Tracking feature is important to your workflows,

you should have the opportunity to return the product and get your money back. If that is necessary, I will post the link to Adobe's Chat

Panel link for Orders if you do not have it already.

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                      benisere84 Level 1

This isn't working on the trial version on mac either as you can see main video is selected motion has been tracked but not linking inbetween Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 12.30.51.png

• 16. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                        Mutu Level 1

This is fun no more...Just before finishing a small project with 12.1 (13.1 is no option, because of it's missing VBR 2-pass), I decided to add a short motion tracked part (speech bubble) to one clip. Well, tracking process seemed to work ok. That yellow box follows the object just fine, but when I try to attach the speech bubble to it, the box stays yellow (should turn blue), no matter how I try to drag&drop the bubble...Yet, I get the "Add text" every time, but after adding the text, bubble stays stationary. I don't get it. Few days ago tried similar tracking, when I was comparing 12.1 and 13.1, but then there were no problems. Both versions tracked same clip ok, although 13.1 seemed to track the object a bit better, and attaching the bubble worked as it should.

I guess I'll have to seriously start looking for a non-Adobe product for my video projects...What a shame...

• 17. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                          evans86492311 Level 1

Hi I am new to using elements and was quite happy with it until I found that this feature simply does not work nor can I find any solution to fix said issue. Is this going to be resolved by adobe? or are we stuck with an incomplete product??

• 18. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

evans

This is not Adobe, rather user to user. So, we have no insider information on Adobe plans for its products. The frequency of the appearance of Adobe Staff and PRE_help in this forum is not defined.

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 running? I am using Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit computers, and its Motion Tracking feature is working in my workflows, but it depends on the nature of the image selected for this task, the object being tracked, and the object doing the tracking. Have you explored all those variables? My first impression was that 13's Motion Tracking seemed "different" than 12's, but the last few Motion Tracking tests that I have done with 13/13.1 have been successful.

If you want to discuss possible troubleshooting, please detail the difficulties you have been running into, defining "simply does not work".

Thank you.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                              renemikkelsen Level 1

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster. I just upgraded from v7.0 to 13 - updated to 13.1. I'm using both under 32 and 64bit windows 7.

The behaviour is random - tracking an object works fine, but I cannot for the life of me make the orange box turn blue - I see some posts mention that it should even be possible to select the box before dragging graphics onto it, but this has not been possible for me..

Out of 8 different scenes I've tried this in, I've only had luck actually attaching something to my tracked object twice (2 times!).

If it wasn't because v13 is so much better in many other aspects than v7 that I used before, this would definetely be a dealbreaker for me.. now I'm just annoyed that a feature doesn't work.. and even in the weirdest way (I could understand it if tracking didn't work properly, but this is the next step after tracking.. attaching something to the tracked object..)

Regards

/rené

• 20. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

renemikkelsen

The frequency of the Adobe presence in this forum is undefined.

Since you have not been able to define a difference between image to be tracked and tracking object in the cases that worked and did not work, what do you think about the following idea to define you situation in terms of Premiere Elements 12/12.1 vs 13/13.1 Motion Tracking feature.

You could download and install the tryout of 12 from the following web site and compare the performance of your 13 Motion Tracking with 12's with the same object to be tracked and same tracking object. You would not have to uninstall 13 to do this. Just use one program at a time.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

The following is a work that I did with 12.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Motion Tracking/What To Use To Track Object?

If PRE_help or other Adobe Staff does not respond to your post in this thread, you might consider filing an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

At this time, Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Motion Tracking is working for me on Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 21. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                  random6323 Level 1

I had the same problem and I contacted support through chat and the person was able to take control of my computer and fix the problem. When I asked what he did to fix it he said that some preferences had "gone bad" and that he then rebuilt them and as a result the problem was resolved. He also noted that it should not happen again. All this took less than an hour to do so I am surprised that they haven't fixed it yet. I don't know the details of what preferences had "gone bad" but at least we know that it can be fixed.

• 22. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

random6323

Thanks for sharing the information about your experience with Adobe Chat and the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Motion Tracking issues.

From the description that you obtained from Chat, it sounds like the representative probably deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file for 13 (often called the settings file) that is found in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit in the path

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that is deleted. If that does not work, then the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists is deleted. You just need to be sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path mentioned. This troubleshooting is often referred to as "flushing the preferences".  I find the shortcuts for doing this often do not work, so I prefer the direct way described above.

There are no guarantee that the preferences might need "flushing" at some other time. And, there is no guarantee that flushing the preferences will work in all cases.

What computer operating system are you using for Premiere Elements 13/13.1?

Best wishes

ATR

• 23. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                      random6323 Level 1

I am currently using Premiere Elements 13.1 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. Having experimented a bit with this feature since it was fixed it has worked every time, even after restarting my computer.

• 24. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

random6323

Great news. Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated. Good information to have.

Best wishes

ATR

• 25. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                          Hugo123 Level 1

I have the same problem. The frame do not change from yellow to blue when I drag and drop an object to the yellow frame.

I use Elements 13.0 on windows 7.

I also deleted the files in the 13.0 folder, started Elements again. It still doesn't work.

• 26. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

hugo123

If you have gone through the thread details, tried them, and the feature does not work in sptie of different videos and different tracking objects, then try the program

uninstall the usual Control Panel way

Do the free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Once 13 is installed, try the Motion Tracking feature again.

Then install the 13.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates. And, try the Motion Tracking feature again.

We will be watching for your results, as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 27. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                              ikjadoon2 Level 1

I've got the exact same problem. It's one clip in particular that isn't working; it worked in clip #1, but not clip #2. I re-added clip #1 (different splice times) and it worked again.

Adobe Premiere 13.1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Already deleted the .prefs file with no luck.

• 28. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                ikjadoon2 Level 1

wait!! I figured it out. In my case, the clip was not long enough. I had spliced it too short (original was 30 seconds, was using ~8 seconds).

Did not work:
                                                                1) Splice clip to 8 seconds

2) Apply motion tracking

3) Add text: cannot get the square to turn blue

Did work:
                                                                1) Apply motion tracking to full clip (with audio attached; the "full fat" clip)

2) Add text: able to get the square to turn blue!!

3) Splice clip to 8 seconds

• 29. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ikjadoon2

Interesting. I would expect the Motion Tracking to work for 8 seconds as well as 30 seconds clip, depending on many factors related to the nature of the clip content, object to be tracked, and the tracking object, and not the clip duration.

Were you using a Speech Thought Bubble as the tracking object? I will give this a try.

ATR

• 30. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                    tonnyi61690108 Level 1

I think You might have found the solution!!!

The box finally turned blue when I used the entire clip instead of a trimmed clip

• 31. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

tonnyi

Sorry for the delayed follow up to this thread.

What was the computer operating system involved with your Premiere Elements 13 Motion Tracking observation? Had you updated 13 to 13.1 yet?

I have not been able to confirm that it makes a difference whether the original "non trimmed" clip or the "trimmed" clip was used in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows 7 64 bit Motion Tracking. It does not make a different in the random studies that I have made on this matter.

With regard to your and ikjadoon2 circumstances, I wonder if you are dealing with the duration of the motion of the object being tracked versus the duration of the whole clip.

Also, how close to the edge of the clip did you start the Motion Tracking when you were using trimmed clips? What is the difference in duration for whole versus trimmed clips in your case?

I am glad that your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Motion Tracking is working for you by the means that you shared, but I do not think it is the answer for all at this point.

ATR

• 32. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                        tonnyi61690108 Level 1

ATR>> What was the computer operating system involved with your Premiere Elements 13 Motion Tracking observation? Had you updated 13 to 13.1 yet?

I'm on Windows 7 x64 using Premiere Elements 13.1

ATR>> Also, how close to the edge of the clip did you start the Motion Tracking when you were using trimmed clips?

I attempted to use first frame, second frame, middle frames etc. with no luck.

ATR>> What is the difference in duration for whole versus trimmed clips in your case?

My trimmed clip was about 6 seconds long and the full clip is close to 20 secconds.

ATR>> I am glad that your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Motion Tracking is working for you by the means that you shared, but I do not think it is the answer for all at this point.

I'm not totally convinced either. I'll have to try this out some more.

/Tonny

• 33. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tonny

Thanks for the follow ups.

We seem to be on the same course - procedure-wise.

I have to do more work on this too. But right now, as I said, the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Motion Tracking is working on my Windows 7 64 bit with an assort of objects to be tracks and an assort of tracking objects.

It will be interesting to learn if there is a Motion Tracking feature in the next version (expected to be coming soon) and how it behaves in comparison to the Motion Tracking feature in Premiere Elements 11 and 13/13.1....there is no Motion Tracking feature in Premiere Elements 12/12.1.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 34. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                            howardc90173650 Level 1

Does anybody know if the motion tracking bug has been fixed in Elements 14, which has just been released?

If so, are Adobe going to give users of Elements 13 a discount on the upgrade?

• 35. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

howardc

We are not Adobe here so we cannot cut a deal for product discounts and the like for Adobe products. You need to contact Adobe direct for that matter. Did you purchase 13/13.1 from Adobe as a download or from an authorized reseller? If Adobe download, are your within 30 days of that purchase?

I did not have all that many problems with Motion Tracking in 13/13.1. It did have problems in certain instances with yellow frame not turning blue when the tracking object was moved near or in yellow frame, but it did work in many instances.

Just downloaded and installed Premiere Elements 14 last night. I have taken a look at the Motion Tracking feature in 14.  So far it has worked. And, often the yellow frame is turning blue when I am not even 1/2 near it with the tracking object from Graphics. I have not explored this feature with different tracking sources and different media with different objects to be tracked.

I am just starting my Premiere Elements 14 First Look and Premiere Elements 14 Daily Discoveries blog posts.

Are you going to take a look at the Premiere Elements 14 tryout to determine if the feature works for you in your computer environment? Good idea to do that if your time permits.

ATR

• 36. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                                howardc90173650 Level 1

Thanks for that. Yes, I realise you are not Adobe, but was just wondering if anyone thought it likely that they would offer a discount.

I bought the software from Amazon in May, so I'm outside the 30 day period. I installed in on a brand new system running Windows 8.1 (now Windows 10), so I'm surprised it works on other computers.

Motion Tracking is a "nice to have" rather than an essential tool for me - it would have saved a bit of time over using the Motion tool - so I've not spent a great deal of time going through the various fixes detailed above. But it's a bit disappointing when a product doesn't do what they say it will do!

Assuming there's a trial version of PE14, I might try it out, and get back to Adobe if it has been sorted out.

H

• 37. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

H

Thanks for the update.

I have used the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Motion Tracking on Windows 7 and 10 64 bit.

Based on history, you have two things going against you in an attempt to deal with Adobe with regard to adjustment for a Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Motion Tracking feature that would not work for you.

It is well known that Adobe will process only return/refund and exchanges on download purchased from it within 30 days of purchase.

If you purchased the product elsewhere, then you are governed by the return/refund and exchange policy of the seller.

You purchased from Amazon, and that was over 30 days ago.

Premiere Elements 14 was released last night. I always work with the tryout first to assure the compatibility of the version with my computer environment and project goals. And, I am doing that now starting with Windows 7 64 bit and then looking at 14 on Windows 10 64 bit. Please refer to Premiere Elements 14 First Look Details

The Adobe Downloads web site link for the Premiere Elements 14 tryout is 

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements&loc=us#

Although history is against you, you could still contact Adobe about the matter.

Best wishes

ATR

• 38. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                                    speedolli Level 1

My video is 1min 52.02 secs.

I installed the PE14 trial and tested the motion tracking again.

I can define a frame, I can attach a bubble and the frame gets blue, fine.

When I play the video everything is perfekt: The bubble follows the marked area!

BUT: The motion tracking ends after 5.10 seconds!!! The bubble just disappears!

How can I get it motion tracking the whole video???

• 39. Re: Premiere elements 13 motion tracking does not track
                                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

speedoll

What computer operating system involved with the Premiere Elements 14 tryout?

The duration of the tracking object file should be matching the duration of the continuous motion of the object being tracked.

So, I would ask "Is there any obvious change in the motion of the object being tracked at the 5.10 seconds mark in the 52.02 seconds clip?"

If there is a stop/change of the original motion, one consideration would be to do another motion tracking at the 5.10 second mark or as at as many places where the motion changes.

I am not sure if dragging out the edge of the bubble file to expand its duration would be of any consequence. You could try.

Please consider

Thanks.

ATR

1 2 Previous Next