19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2015 8:35 AM by dj_paige

Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom

MarkWebster

Hi,

Recently my imported pictures in Lightroom have been corrupted one they have fully loaded. It does not happen to them all but increasingly up to 50% of an import is damaged. The images have the appearance of a partly devloped slide film (if anyone rembers that medium) one half or more of the picture is visible the other half is multi coloured lines, mostly pink, purple. I have tried uploading Lightroom 5.6 but this make no diffeence. Lightroom 5.5 has been running fine until a few weeks ago when this problem developed.

Has anyone else had this issue and what is the fix please?!

Mark

ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 13 16.52.gif

ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 23 22.08.gif

• 1. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

This is almost always a hardware malfunction.

It could be anywhere in the chain of transfer to the computer and then to Lightroom: camera card, card reader/USB cable or USB port, hard disk, or even memory.

You need to troubleshoot this by using different hardware and if possible a different computer to isolate the problem.

• 2. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
            RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

I concur. Hardware failure during transfer.

• 3. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
              MarkWebster Level 1

Well I had thought something like that....but today I have been discussing the same issue with A Mac user with 5.6 and he has the same problem only developed since he upgraded. He uses a Nikon D7000 and I use a D7100 so it is not the file type either.

Anyone else experiencing this issue please?

Mark

• 4. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom

More likely that you have independent hardware failures at the same time.  This type of corruption appears often in the support forums and nearly always (I have never seen it not) traces back to a hardware failure: Camera, Card, Cable, Reader, Ram, Harddrive....

• 5. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                  dj_paige Level 9

Agreeing with Rikk, the answer always turns out to be hardware, you would be wise to check.

Furthermore, I know of no plausible mechanism for Lightroom to be the cause, as Lightroom does not write to the image portion of the file. It only reads the file (using operating system calls) and barring some previously unknown bug, the image displayed by Lightroom is what is being sent to it by the hardware (memory or hard disk).

• 6. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                    MarkWebster Level 1

Hmm.....I don't buy that I am afraid. What are the chances of bot a PC and a Mac system developing the same hardware issue after an upgrade? No other functions on the computer or other soft ware is affected. I can open the same image in Photoshop and have no issues, or in Nikon Capture. This does not occur on every import and not with every image so I am convinced it is a software issue. Who should I contact at Adobe abou this?

Mark

• 7. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                      ibarrien Adobe Employee

Hi Mark,

does it help to reset one of the images that looks strange?

Thanks,

Ignacio

• 8. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                        dj_paige Level 9

I have no idea who you would contact, as its clearly not a bug. Nevertheless, if you don't believe me, you are free to continue down whatever path you want, but we can't help you if you are convinced its not a hardware issue because everyone here thinks it is a hardware issue, and we've never seen an example of file corruption like yours that was a Lightroom bug.

By the way, since you are sure it is Lightroom that is the culprit, please enlighten us, what is the mechanism in Lightroom that causes this corruption to happen, if Lightroom never writes to your images? (The mechanism of hardware malfunction causing this is easy to understand, IMO)

• 9. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                          freetoeknee

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 11.40.21 PM.pngI'm having the same problems. If you find out the answer,let me know.

• 10. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                            dj_paige Level 9

freetoeknee

Are you going to try seeing if you have a hardware problem, as I described above?

• 11. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom

Just curious. Did you even bother to check out your hardware?

While I am not denying you might have a slim possibility of a software issue, DJ_Paige and I and other have seen this many times before. It always ends up being hardware faults causing the corruption.

As for the odds of a PC and a Mac having hardware issues at the same time: Not far-fetched at all. If it were a software bug on a month-old update, there would very likely be widespread reports and complaints - there are not. In any case -even if it were software - it is likely not a bug but rather a bad install or other issue.

My bet is still on hardware.

• 12. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                                MarkWebster Level 1

I am sort of pleased to see that someone else is having the same problem as me (freetoeknee above). Just to be clear it is only the preview image in Lightroom that is affected after import, there is no effect on the RAW original image. I don't think it is a hardware issue, but I am not a computer buff by any means. I have tried loading the same images on another pc with LR4 and have no problems at all, so I tried LR4 on my current PC and no problems. But if I import into LR5.5 or 5.6 then I get this random corruption of the image, so it seems to me that it is only occuring with the latest upgrades. I upgraded to 5.6 thinking it might solve the problem! The fact that it also occurs on my friend's Mac seems to point to a software issue as he was using LR5.5 and then LR5.6 as well and has the same problem with both versions. The same raw files open in Photoshop and Capture NX which I presume also create a preview jpeg.

• 13. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                                  freetoeknee Level 1

Hey Rikk,

For an unrelated matter, I took my iMac into Apple Genius Bar last week, and had a full diagnostic ran on it to check for any damaged hardware.

It came back completely clean and in good order. So that appears to rule out hardware issues.

I took some photos on a different, brand new, camera (Fuji X100s) with a brand new SD card, and have encountered a similar, although not as drastic, scenario, with some sort of digital corruption of the image (see screenshot attached).Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 10.09.01 pm.png

• 14. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                                    freetoeknee Level 1

Hey Rikk,

For an unrelated matter, I took my iMac into Apple Genius Bar last week, and had a full diagnostic ran on it to check for any damaged hardware.

It came back completely clean and in good order. So that appears to rule out hardware issues.

Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 10.09.01 pm.pngI took some photos on a different, brand new, camera (Fuji X100s) with a brand new SD card, and have encountered a similar, although not as drastic, scenario, with some sort of digital corruption of the image (see screenshot attached).

• 15. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom

For me that proves nothing.

It starts with your camera, then your memory card, cable, card reader, USB port, and then your computer - then external devices.  The Apple "Genius" persons didn't check any of those.  And, if it were me knowing as much as I do about Apple "Genius" persons, I still wouldn't rule out your computer. We see this and similar problems all the time. I cannot remember a time when it wasn't a hardware failure.

• 16. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                                        JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How were these images downloaded from the camera? Card reader? The camera tethered to the computer? What software was used to download the images? Have you tried looking at these images with other software?

• 17. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                                          dj_paige Level 9

Agree with Rikk ... it's always hardware ... and there's no logical mechanism on how Lightroom could alter the image portion of the files, as Lightroom never writes to the image portion of files, other than through some bug unknown and unreported at this time. It would be very easy for freetoeknee and MarkWebster to transfer the photos to the computer using different hardware (i.e. instead of using the card reader, use a USB cable or vice versa), but it sure sounds like they have not even spent the 15 minutes (or less) that it would take to try this out and see if the problem went away.

• 18. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                                            joeyj299

OK, I've been having the same issue with Lightroom 5.7.1 and it's really a pain.  However, maybe this will help.  My files were not originally corrupted when loaded to Lightroom in the "Copy as DNG" format.  Fortunately, I uploaded them to my website prior to the corruption occurring.  After I had the photos loaded for a good 3 days, I opened up Lightroom and found several of my images with errors.  Capture 11-25-15.JPG

I was able to download the original jpg image from my website and save the day, but these errors are occurring more frequently.  I am using a brand new PC with Windows 10 (only 2 months old).  Any ideas?

Thank you!

Joey

• 19. Re: Corrupted Pictures in Adobe Lightroom
                                              dj_paige Level 9

Lots of ideas in this thread.

It's always a hardware issue. ALWAYS. Check your card reader or USB cable/USB port, check your hard drive, check your computer's memory.