7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 3:22 AM by Yammer

Quality not as good as shown on laptop why ?

Jayhale

Hi please can anyone help when after editing my photos and printing them they look nothing near as good as they did on my laptops display.The sharpness is nothing near as good and the colours don't look quite right the whole picture looks a lot darker why could this be.I know my printer is capable of better as it has done before with only basic JPEG photos.

• 1. Re: Quality not as good as shown on laptop why ?
          Yammer Level 4

It's not easy to give a simple answer. There are quite a few factors involved in getting a good print.

We could also do with knowing a bit more about what you are doing. Mac/Windows? Printer driver settings? Are you printing from Photoshop? If so, what print settings?

Is your monitor calibrated? I only ask because sometimes you're expecting the wrong result, if your monitor isn't giving an accurate representation.

When you previously printed JPEGs, what application were you using?

• 2. Re: Quality not as good as shown on laptop why ?
            Jayhale Level 1

Hi im using windows 8.1 and I'm printing from photoshop cs6.My monitor wasnt calibrated as I didn't know about this until you said.When I printed my jpeg pictures they were from the epson easy print application with photo enhance on.

• 3. Re: Quality not as good as shown on laptop why ?
              Yammer Level 4

You're not giving us anywhere near enough information on what you are doing. I still can't answer your question based on what you have told us.

It sounds like you are new to the whole process. You ought to read up on colour management, colour spaces, calibration and display/printer profiling, etc.

Step one is calibrating and profiling your computer display. Without this, you have no idea that what you are seeing is accurate, in terms of brightness, contrast, and colour balance. You'll be processing your images to compensate for any inaccuracies. e.g. if your screen is too bright and slightly magenta, your images will end up too dark and slightly green. You may then find that this can be improved by adjusting the print settings, but this is just a workaround, and not a sensible course of action.

I wrote an overview on the subject, which contains a link to an overview of colour management:

http://yphotography.co.uk/articles/calibrating-your-workflow/

it doesn't go into any detail. For that, you'd need to Google "Photoshop color management workflow" or something similar, and spend a while digesting the subject.

By the way, this is the Camera Raw forum, and printing isn't really relevant here. You still haven't told us which application you are trying to print from, so I am assuming it's Photoshop, nor have you told us what settings you are using, both in the application and the printer setting dialog. But I think your best course of action would be to read up on the subject before going any further.

• 4. Re: Quality not as good as shown on laptop why ?
                Jayhale Level 1

Hi i have my pictures looking better now after i recalibrated my monitor.But i still have to over brighten them and up the vibrance for them to look right when printed.Do you know how this could be solved ? Also I'm not so sure about reducing noise and increasing sharpness.I do the noise first then sharpen with unsharp mask but still end up with noise.

• 5. Re: Quality not as good as shown on laptop why ?
                  Jayhale Level 1

Hi do you know about the proof settings in Photoshop cs6 ? I wanted to know if i should select my printer under the custom proof settings to get a view of how it may look printed out ? And then edit my picture from this selected view ?

• 6. Re: Quality not as good as shown on laptop why ?
                    Yammer Level 4

Jayhale wrote:

Hi i have my pictures looking better now after i recalibrated my monitor.But i still have to over brighten them and up the vibrance for them to look right when printed.Do you know how this could be solved ? Also I'm not so sure about reducing noise and increasing sharpness.I do the noise first then sharpen with unsharp mask but still end up with noise.

Are you using the correct printer profile? Is your monitor calibration too bright?

I generally remove noise before sharpening, but I mainly use Camera Raw's Masking slider to avoid sharpening areas which don't need it.

• 7. Re: Quality not as good as shown on laptop why ?
                      Yammer Level 4

Jayhale wrote:

Hi do you know about the proof settings in Photoshop cs6 ? I wanted to know if i should select my printer under the custom proof settings to get a view of how it may look printed out ? And then edit my picture from this selected view ?

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. You should only use the proofing tool to see how your printer profile affects the gamut of your image, and not as an excuse for poor calibration and profiling.