4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 8:18 AM by frencholivier

Unable to import a catalog with his pictures from a usb hard drive.

frencholivier

Unable to import a catalog with his pictures from a usb hard drive. Only two options instead of three mentioned in the manual: "import catalog without copy pictures" and "not import pictures". I would like to have "import catalog and copy pictures (on my desktop)". Any idea?

I use lightroom 5,

Thank you

• 1. Re: Unable to import a catalog with his pictures from a usb hard drive.
          Drt.Harrie Level 3

Have you tried, just copying then the Catalog and Images from your USB Hard driver to your Desktop

And then Open the Catalog from your Desktop in Lightroom, That should result in the images and Photos on your Desktop

including the Catalog.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Unable to import a catalog with his pictures from a usb hard drive.
            frencholivier Level 1

Hello, thank you for your answer.

I tried to do this but, even if everything seems to work properly after copying both (I have the catalog an the pictures in my desktop), when I open a picture at 100%, I can see a poor quality with a very low resolution. Like if the picture was not in my computer. I tried also to use the function "find the file and use this position (sorry I use the french version since I'm french and you must be horrified...) to find the other files" but that's not better.

I don't understand why I've only got two choices instead of three when I try to import pictures from another catalog. I tried to contact the customer support but since I work on a trial version (30 days) they don't want to assist me.

Another idea?

Thank you

• 3. Re: Unable to import a catalog with his pictures from a usb hard drive.
              Drt.Harrie Level 3

When the quality of the Image is rather poor, it might be that the Catalog is working with Smart Previews

(These are Small Thumbnails of the Images) This overall allows you to work faster, but when zoomed in, the preview

doesn't look accurate. More information about this (in French) Aide de Lightroom | Aperçus dynamiques | Lightroom 5

Do the Photos in your catalog have like a exclamation mark (Stating that the orignal file can not be located)?

Like described in the following documentation: http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/locate-missing-photos.html

*This document is unfortunatly not available in French (Can use Google translate to translate the intire page)

When I check in Lightroom with a Catalog and I Select Import from Catalog I do have the three options available.

So my idea would be that there is a limitation on the location (Read and Write) or you might try with creating a new Administrator account.

Basically I expect a conflict on Permissions, that doesnt allow you to copy correctly the Content

(It has disabled you from actually creating the file paths and generating the files as Copy)

Hopefully this will resolve the problem you experience.

Also as try, you could try creating a new Catalog, and test with that to see if you then have the three options available.

- When this is the case, the cause might be related to the current location of the catalog that is opent.

• 4. Re: Unable to import a catalog with his pictures from a usb hard drive.
                frencholivier Level 1

Hello,

I finally succeeded in importing my old catalog and his pictures. I did as you said: copying pictures first then import the catalog. I did something very similar ad the beginning but it didn't work. Nevertheless, everything seems ok now. Thank you very much Drt. Harrie for answering my questions.

See you for the next problems!