2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2006 8:07 AM by Igor9

Handling contingencies

Igor9 Level 1
      I am a DW newbie, having used Frontpage for a very basic, small e-commerce site that has been running well -- but it needs an update/upgrade. I have not yet started my site redesign with DW8. I would like advice on how best to set up the site to deal with certain contingencies. Here are some examples:

1. My outsourced cart company's server is down, so I want to temporarily send people who click on the "Place Order" button to a "Sorry" page rather than to the external shopping cart.

2. I want to run a sale starting on Monday and ending a week later, so I need to make the "Sale" sign turn on and then turn off.

Certainly, these are not unusual contingencies. I've read about optional regions and how to turn them on and off, but even if that is the best approach for #1 and/or #2, I'd like to have the contingency switch accessible without having to use DW to edit a public webpage and then upload it.

I am looking for a good way to set up my site so that it is easy and efficient to toggle these changes. Advice appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Handling contingencies
          Level 7
          I would not touch this site with DW, frankly.

FP depends entirely on the functionality of its server extensions to make
          everything work together. Using DW to edit an FP site can break that link
          between FP and its SEs, and make your site not work properly. This is
          PARTICULARLY true if your knowledge of HTML is rudimentary.

The only way, really, to begin managing this site with DW, would be to
          recreate it entirely in DW, without using the FP SEs at all.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"Igor9" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e8mscr$98p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am a DW newbie, having used Frontpage for a very basic, small e-commerce
          >site
          > that has been running well -- but it needs an update/upgrade. I have not
          > yet
          > started my site redesign with DW8. I would like advice on how best to set
          > up
          > the site to deal with certain contingencies. Here are some examples:
          >
          > 1. My outsourced cart company's server is down, so I want to temporarily
          > send
          > people who click on the "Place Order" button to a "Sorry" page rather than
          > to
          > the external shopping cart.
          >
          > 2. I want to run a sale starting on Monday and ending a week later, so I
          > need
          > to make the "Sale" sign turn on and then turn off.
          >
          > Certainly, these are not unusual contingencies. I've read about optional
          > regions and how to turn them on and off, but even if that is the best
          > approach
          > for #1 and/or #2, I'd like to have the contingency switch accessible
          > without
          > having to use DW to edit a public webpage and then upload it.
          >
          > I am looking for a good way to set up my site so that it is easy and
          > efficient
          > to toggle these changes. Advice appreciated.
          >
          >

• 2. Handling contingencies
            Igor9 Level 1
            Thanks for the warnings -- sounds like good advice. In fact, I am starting
            on the redesign from scratch -- w/ DW8. That being said, any
            suggestions? -- Igor

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            I would not touch this site with DW, frankly.

FP depends entirely on the functionality of its server extensions to make
            everything work together. Using DW to edit an FP site can break that link
            between FP and its SEs, and make your site not work properly. This is
            PARTICULARLY true if your knowledge of HTML is rudimentary.

The only way, really, to begin managing this site with DW, would be to
            recreate it entirely in DW, without using the FP SEs at all.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575