1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2007 7:01 PM by Newsgroup_User

protect your swf

jonnybennett Level 1
      Hello I know I have asked this question before, however I haven't really got a definative answer. I am trying to protect the work I have spent a year creating from being stolen.

1/ Most large sites have got a copyright for their sites? anyone know how one goes about this.?

2/ Is there a way to properly encrypt your swf so that it is not possible to decompile? as everything I have read so far basically says there is no ponit to encrypt because anyone who really wants to get at the file will be able to decompile it encrypted or not?

3/ Also my swf file requires a lot of comunicating with a database using php pages, therefore anyone wanting to decompile my work, would also need to have the php files, therefore should I not worry?.

Thanks to any responders. J
        • 1. Re: protect your swf
          Level 7

jonnybennett wrote:
          > Hello I know I have asked this question before, however I haven't really got a
          > definative answer. I am trying to protect the work I have spent a year creating
          > from being stolen.

Bottom line, you can't protect SWF files.
          Even if you scramble the source, there is only how much you can do it before
          getting in trouble with the player. Might end up not being able to understand
          your file. Also any future update or new version might simply cause the files
          to stop working.
          Now, whatever was scrambled, can be unscramble and reproduced.
          You can't protect SWF file.

> 1/ Most large sites have got a copyright for their sites? anyone know how one
          > goes about this.?

That's just legal term, does not mean someone will obey it or will be stopped from
          taking your swf files. Best to consult someone qualified. Each country has its own
          ways dealing with intellectual properties.

> 2/ Is there a way to properly encrypt your swf so that it is not possible to
          > decompile? as everything I have read so far basically says there is no ponit to
          > encrypt because anyone who really wants to get at the file will be able to
          > decompile it encrypted or not?
          >
          no there is no way

> 3/ Also my swf file requires a lot of comunicating with a database using php
          > pages, therefore anyone wanting to decompile my work, would also need to have
          > the php files, therefore should I not worry?.

not as straight forward as self contained movie in single swf but still possible
          --
          Best Regards

Urami

--

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>