5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 5:36 PM by A.T. Romano

can't produce a quality dvd in premiere elemmennts 11

2pedro2

After importing images into premiere elements 11 I can't produce a slideshow of any  quality to burn to a disc. What is the best size of image to import and do I need to change any settings?

• 1. Re: can't produce a quality dvd in premiere elemmennts 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

2pedro2

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Depending on your computer resources, numbers of photos, and pixel dimensions of photos, you might get away without having to

resize or crop/resize before import. But, for now, as a first pass at this, please explore

1. Photos which are cropped/resize if you have 3:2 or 4:3 photos going into the16:9 project

Crop/Resize to 1920 x 1080 maintaining the 16:9 aspect ratio.

2. Key to clarify in the end product seems to be to set the project preset manually to

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

See instructions for manually setting project preset toward the end of the above blog post.

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

3. Then proceed from there...editing, menu, to get to

Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

(this assumes that we are talking about DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc and not AVCHD format on DVD disc).

Let us start here and then decide what next. Suggestion - do the mini test runs before the grand project.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: can't produce a quality dvd in premiere elemmennts 11
            2pedro2 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I tried what you said but got  the same poor result. I also tried an instant movie and again the result was terrible. I am running windows 8

• 3. Re: can't produce a quality dvd in premiere elemmennts 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

2pedro2

Thanks for the reply. At this point, I am not sure of the nature of your Premiere Elements 11 burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD quality issue. It is not to be expected. What are you seeing and hearing that goes with your poor result and terrible results descriptions? Is there poor quality display before and after your burn to disc?

a. Expectation. DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD are characterized by the same frame size 740 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL). If you have very high resolution photos that you are looking at in the comparison, the frame size of the photos could be over 1920 x 1080 pixels.

b. If you take your Timeline content for this 1080p project and burn it to AVCHD format on DVD disc are your results excellent, good, or terrible?

See Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc. Although you can generate the AVCHD format on DVD disc with a regular DVD player, this will not

play back on a regular DVD player....needed is Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of the multi media players with support for AVCHD DVD.

Do you have a computer player that you can use to check out the AVCHD DVD results?

If you get terrible result with AVCHD on DVD (a higher resolution end product 1920 x 1080), then we need to dig deeper into cause and effect.

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: can't produce a quality dvd in premiere elemmennts 11
                2pedro2 Level 1

Hi ATR,

You were right, I changed the disc to AVCHD and the result was perfect. I am used to supplying high resolution images to clients which are obviously too large for the slideshow. If I scale the resolution down what would be the ideal settings to produce a DVD correctly. 

Thanks again for your help. 

• 5. Re: can't produce a quality dvd in premiere elemmennts 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

2pedro2

Thanks for the follow up.

I am assuming that you want to go with DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc. If just an all photos slideshow, I would suggest you set

the Premiere Elements 11 project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

or the PAL counterpart if indicated....please refer to the how to for manually setting the project preset in the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Before import the photos, crop resize your photos to 1920 x 1080 16:9 maintaining the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Import them into Premiere Elements 11 with its Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets from where you drag

the photos to the Timeline.

Tip: if you have the photos ordered in sequence in a folder, you can import the whole folder into Project Assets as above.

Then just drag the whole folder to the Timeline Video Track to have your photos appear there ordered in the sequence as seen in the folder.

Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR