12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2007 8:10 AM by JillTW

Screen Dumps - Reducing the size

Hi. I am doing up a User Guide and need to use a load of screen dumps of the software. I do 'Print Screen" Command and the paste into Fireworks. I then reduce the image down. However, all the pixels start to look very bad and i cannot get a nice picture to post into Framemaker. I can actually past the screen dump into Word, reduce it, and it seems to maintain the pixel qulity.
      Any assistance would be appreciated. NOTE: Framemaker or Photshop forum was not up and running, hence i come here.
        • 1. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
          Level 7
          vndunne wrote:
          > Hi. I am doing up a User Guide and need to use a load of screen dumps of the
          > software. I do 'Print Screen" Command and the paste into Fireworks. I then
          > reduce the image down. However, all the pixels start to look very bad and i
          > cannot get a nice picture to post into Framemaker. I can actually past the
          > screen dump into Word, reduce it, and it seems to maintain the pixel qulity.
          > Any assistance would be appreciated. NOTE: Framemaker or Photshop forum was
          > not up and running, hence i come here.
          >

You might need to up the resolution before you export it to Framemaker.

When you resize the screen print, use Modify/Canvas/Image Size. Change
          the dimensions and/or resolution, deselect the 'Resample Image' option.

You will have to experiment a little to get the results yo are after
          but, this will help.

Freehand, if you have it, would be more suited to this job.

SKB
          • 2. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
            Level 7
            On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:47:55 +0400, vndunne <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
            wrote:

> Hi. I am doing up a User Guide and need to use a load of screen dumps of
            > the
            > software. I do 'Print Screen" Command and the paste into Fireworks. I
            > then
            > reduce the image down. However, all the pixels start to look very bad
            > and i
            > cannot get a nice picture to post into Framemaker. I can actually past
            > the
            > screen dump into Word, reduce it, and it seems to maintain the pixel
            > qulity.
            > Any assistance would be appreciated. NOTE: Framemaker or Photshop
            > forum was
            > not up and running, hence i come here.

First thing you forgot to mention is: what is the supposed output? Is your
            Guide supposed to be printed, or viewed on screen? This is something of
            major importance.

--
            Ilya Razmanov
            http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
            • 3. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
              Level 1
              Hi. Thanks for all that. Output will be to PDF which wil pobably be sent on CD. But Clients will probably want to print it out on paper.
              • 4. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
                Level 7
                vndunne wrote:
                > Hi. Thanks for all that. Output will be to PDF which wil pobably be sent on CD. But Clients will probably want to print it out on paper.

Why not print the screen as a PDF to start with?

SKB
                • 5. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
                  Level 7
                  On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:23:20 +0400, vndunne <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
                  wrote:

> Hi. Thanks for all that. Output will be to PDF which wil pobably be sent
                  > on CD. But Clients will probably want to print it out on paper.

Hi-res bitmaps implanted into PDF will print well. They are likely to be
                  displayed not so well sometimes (that's the problem of Acrobat
                  interpolation, not yours). Whell, as long as I understand the situation,
                  you should take screencaps as big as possible, then probably adjust its
                  resolution (without any interpolation), then import it into page layout
                  application like FrameMaker.

--
                  Ilya Razmanov
                  http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
                  • 6. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
                    Level 1
                    >Freehand, if you have it, would be more suited to this job

Or if you have Illustrator, this can do this task. Are you using Windows, but don't know the exact version such as XP Pro or Vista... don't want to continue to second-guess. lol
                    • 7. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
                      Level 7
                      You do NOT change the resolution of a screen capture. It is what it is. You
                      can't increase the resolution (as there are no pixels to add to it) and you
                      really shouldn't decrease the resolution (as you end up with the problem you
                      are having).

All you need to do is create the screen caps, and then import them directly
                      into your page layout application. Size the screen cap IN your page layout
                      program.

Done.

-Darrel

• 8. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
                        Level 7
                        darrel wrote:
                        > You do NOT change the resolution of a screen capture. It is what it is. You
                        > can't increase the resolution (as there are no pixels to add to it) and you
                        > really shouldn't decrease the resolution (as you end up with the problem you
                        > are having).
                        >
                        > All you need to do is create the screen caps, and then import them directly
                        > into your page layout application. Size the screen cap IN your page layout
                        > program.
                        >
                        > Done.
                        >
                        > -Darrel
                        >
                        >
                        Darrel,
                        You can change (increase or decrease) it's print resolution without
                        adding or subtracting pixels.

SKB
                        • 9. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
                          Level 7
                          > You can change (increase or decrease) it's print resolution without adding
                          > or subtracting pixels.

Right. That's done by resizing it in the page layout application.

The resolution setting in your image editor is only used to print directly
                          from your image editing software, which you rarely need to do.

-Darrel

• 10. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
                            Level 7
                            darrel wrote:

> The resolution setting in your image editor is only used to print directly
                            > from your image editing software,

Darrel,
                            I have to admit this discussion would be a lot more fun at a local pub
                            with a few ales in hand. Then it couldn't be misconstrued as anything
                            other than friendly banter. :)

The print size is what your publishing software will see.

Start with a 1280x1024 pixel screen capture.

Alter the image print size without resampling to 6x4 inches, save or
                            export the file and insert it into your publishing application, it will
                            be 6x4 inches and you didn't lose a pixel. When printed it might be hard
                            to read or see detail because of it's size. It also won't be blurry or
                            distorted.

In Fireworks it is still a 1280x1024 pixel image.

I agree it's not the most elegant, easiest or recommended method but,
                            you can get decent print results from Fireworks.

I'll buy the next round.

SKB

• 11. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
                              Level 7
                              > I have to admit this discussion would be a lot more fun at a local pub
                              > with a few ales in hand. Then it couldn't be misconstrued as anything
                              > other than friendly banter. :)

It sounds friendly to me! ;o)

> Start with a 1280x1024 pixel screen capture.
                              >
                              > Alter the image print size without resampling to 6x4 inches, save or
                              > export the file and insert it into your publishing application, it will be
                              > 6x4 inches and you didn't lose a pixel. When printed it might be hard to
                              > read or see detail because of it's size. It also won't be blurry or
                              > distorted.

You can do that, or you can just resize it in the page layout app to 6x4.
                              Same exact results. Still same number of pixels.

> I'll buy the next round.

Sounds good!

-Darrel

• 12. Re: Screen Dumps - Reducing the size
                                JillTW Level 1
                                If you are looking for a very quick & flexible screen snap capability, I recommend TechSmith's SnagIT. I use & much prefer Fireworks for website graphics, but to capture windows, regions, scrolling web pages, and other types of visual samples, SnagIT is extremely easy to use and powerful. You can save your capture in a variety of output formats, including SnagIT's own proprietary format that allows re-editing of saved images. The SnagIT editor lets you create callout text boxes, arrows, torn-edges, drop shadows, etc. It is the tool of choice for Technical Writers to build instructional steps and images. It's very inexpensive and they have a full-featured 30 day trial download.