7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 2:23 PM by Willi Adelberger

Text/image flow for a user manual

Archeantus Level 1

Greetings. I'm working on a layout for a software user manual. I've run into an issue with the flow of text and images in the many instances where the manual instructions move to a step-by-step format. Please see the screenshot at the end of the post.

You will see in the bottom half of the page one of these step-by-step sequences begins. The 1st image is associated with step 1 and the 2nd with step 2. I want the image to align with the capline of the 1st sentence in each step and the image is to remain aligned on the right and the text aligned on the left. Here is where I run into trouble: I don't want to have to give a space-after override to each step so that the following step aligns with the next image.

I have tried putting the image inline with the text and aligning its paragraph right but then i can't align the image with the capline of the 1st sentence in the step; the image is either before or after the text inline. I have also tried the jump object text wrap but that becomes immediately problematic when a step has more than one line of text.

What is the best practice here? I feel that i'm missing something real simple. Also, if it matters I have one writer on InCopy editing assignments as we go.

Screen-Shot.jpg

• 1. Re: Text/image flow for a user manual
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try using a custom position anchored object, and add text wrap to jump the next line below it.

• 2. Re: Text/image flow for a user manual
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Try following:

i.png

You need:

• 2 Paragraph Styles
            • 1 Object Style for the image

1. Specify a Pragraph Style for the list, numbered as above. (But it can be any other style too) I call it "List"
            2. Specify a Paragraph Style where the image is anchored into. I call it "Image anchor"
              1. Left intend is wide that the first character would be so far to the right, that it comes into the image area, make it so wide that it is close to the right edge, e.g. if the frame is 200mm, you can make the left intent 198mm
              2. The size doesn't matter, in the example it is 0.1pt, 0 leading, 0space before and after.
              3. Keep Options: Keep with next 10 lines (or whatever number is useful.)
              4. Insert the anchored frame into this paragraph
            3. The object style should have following properties:
              1. Text wrapping, I did it with 1p left and right, 0mm above and below to rectangle form
              2. Anchored Frame position: right edge 0mm to the right, vertical specify a distance from the top edge of the frame to the baseline of the insertion curser that it will always be at the desired top line.

The text wrapping of the frame will force the text of the following number (with paragraph style "List" to wrap but also the next Anchor Holder with the paragraph style "Image Anchor" to wrap around. Because the left intend of the Image Anchor paragraph style is so far to the right it will force it to start after the image space below. Because the typo sizes of this paragraph are so small it will not be visible, and you can specify the minimum vertical distance between a list number o the previous image with the text wrap settings, you could come closer with negative space after. As the image anchor paragraph contains no text, it is not a problem.

• 3. Re: Text/image flow for a user manual
              Archeantus Level 1

Well that did work mostly and it may be as good as a result as I'm going to get. It involves a bit more manual adjustment than I would like. I set up an object style for the images including custom anchored object properties and jump object text wrap.

As shown on step 2, the image needs to be anchored at the end of the step and then manually positioned to line up with the capline of the top line.  The text does not wrap around the image so i had to put in a line break manually.

Any other suggestions?

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 1.18.46 PM.png

• 4. Re: Text/image flow for a user manual
                Archeantus Level 1

Oooh. Just saw your reply. Trying now.

• 5. Re: Text/image flow for a user manual
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Maybe that one addition might help. After a list point could be inserted a paragraph with an invisible style, this would prevent overlapping images at the end of a page. This style should keep with previous, contain at least one word, text color none, sze, leading, etc. doesn't matter. The function is to separate each point, so the following would be:

• Image Anchor
                  • List
                  • Separator
                  • Image Anchor
                  • List
                  • Separator
                  • Image Anchor
                  • List
                  • Separator
                  • Image Anchor
                  • List
                  • Separator
                  • 6. Re: Text/image flow for a user manual
                    Archeantus Level 1

Fantastic, Willi. Both your instructions and your separator suggestion work great.